Scott's vs. GPR v4 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2008 r6
Scott's vs. GPR v4

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:44 AM

Re: Scott's vs. GPR v4

Scotts is a far better unit for the track or the road, i have been seriously against dampers for a long time. I have an 07 R6 and at high speeds under full throttle if i hit a small bump it gets a serious head shake. I bought a GPR V4 from hardraceing.com and got a reply that it was on back order. I called them up and the woman told me that they do have scotts in stock and explained to me the differences. I started reaserching called scotts and realized the scotts is much better for what i want. First is the low and high speed circuit. the low speed is for normal riding, an area i did not want any dampening. the high speed only comes on when the forks are jerked quickly, i.e. head shake, potholes. I installed it and it is everything i wanted it is light to steer which i like and not a hint of head shake. the GPR has the same resistance all the time. it doesn't make sense to me i would think the resistance you need to stop head shake would annoy me while i am riding the other 99.99% of the time. I admit the small amout of dampening on the low speed circuit has been nice, but i would not expect this amout to stop a head shake at 130MPH. second is i hear about all these GPR V4 leaking, from what i understand these are out sourced to china and someone over there changed gasket material which was no good. In my opinion this is just horrible QC i wanted to get rid of head shake at high speeds a unit that fails could mean a tank slapper at high speed, $50 extra was worth the quality of a company that actually has a footing in the dampening buisness not just the steering dampening buisness.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcioletti View Post
Scotts is a far better unit for the track or the road, i have been seriously against dampers for a long time. I have an 07 R6 and at high speeds under full throttle if i hit a small bump it gets a serious head shake. I bought a GPR V4 from hardraceing.com and got a reply that it was on back order. I called them up and the woman told me that they do have scotts in stock and explained to me the differences. I started reaserching called scotts and realized the scotts is much better for what i want. First is the low and high speed circuit. the low speed is for normal riding, an area i did not want any dampening. the high speed only comes on when the forks are jerked quickly, i.e. head shake, potholes. I installed it and it is everything i wanted it is light to steer which i like and not a hint of head shake. the GPR has the same resistance all the time. it doesn't make sense to me i would think the resistance you need to stop head shake would annoy me while i am riding the other 99.99% of the time. I admit the small amout of dampening on the low speed circuit has been nice, but i would not expect this amout to stop a head shake at 130MPH. second is i hear about all these GPR V4 leaking, from what i understand these are out sourced to china and someone over there changed gasket material which was no good. In my opinion this is just horrible QC i wanted to get rid of head shake at high speeds a unit that fails could mean a tank slapper at high speed, $50 extra was worth the quality of a company that actually has a footing in the dampening buisness not just the steering dampening buisness.
+1 on the leaking GPR v4, my best frient has one and it started leaking really bad after our last track day. And I also have heard alot of other stories about it, good thing is they will take it back and replace it no questions asked.

I have an Ohlins damper and I love mine, I've had GPR before but I perfer my ohlins one. Top Quality.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

i just got it today and i installed it already before i even see this reply, well i think im just going to hope that it wont leak on me. Like you said they will change it, but the will be pain in the ass. Thanks for the info.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:32 PM
I eat my R6

What about a linear pull damper? They look cooler.

Also how much is a scotts? $300 a good price?

2004 R6
  • Custom CF Fender Elim
  • Flushmount Front
  • Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail
  • Yoshi Tri Oval Slip-on
  • Custom Painted Windscreen
  • Custom Painted Front Fender
  • Red Wheel Stripes
  • 10,000K HID Conversion
  • Custom Painted Rear Hugger
  • CF Frame Sliders
  • PC III with Map
  • Graves Velocity Stacks
  • GPR Steering Damper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future: Akropovic Exhaust, Smog Plates, Throttle Slide, Inverted Fork Conversion, Etc...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad22rgv View Post
i just got it today and i installed it already before i even see this reply, well i think im just going to hope that it wont leak on me. Like you said they will change it, but the will be pain in the ass. Thanks for the info.
Hopefully you got the "newer" version b/c if you didnt I hate to say it will most likely start leaking. They machined the seal for the o-ring to sit in to shallow so when they put it together it pinches the o-ring and makes it not seal properly. well thats what the rep said when my buddy took his back to the GPR place that is stationed in San Diego.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6LIFER View Post
Hopefully you got the "newer" version b/c if you didnt I hate to say it will most likely start leaking. They machined the seal for the o-ring to sit in to shallow so when they put it together it pinches the o-ring and makes it not seal properly. well thats what the rep said when my buddy took his back to the GPR place that is stationed in San Diego.
I got the GPR V4 and hopefully is better that the older versions. I also have to modified the clamp that goes to the tank, by adding some orings to keep it aligned, it suck's because they only have one bolt.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 09:07 AM
I heart my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha R6 (R)
Send a message via AIM to xxINKxx

Apparently GPR has fixed the bad seals for the V4, the company they used to get there seals through went overseas to get a better deal (but cheaper quality) and they found out...They told me all the new V4's that are being shipped out directly through them this past few weeks have been the updated version with no leaks...

(ide assume if u ordered it through a vendor longer than a few weeks ago other than gpr direct they might have sent an old v4 that has been sitting around with the bad seal issue)

You can check the suspention forum, There is a post on the leaky v4, and i posted the email they sent me, along with others who posted some info. Hopefully they issue is resolved like they claimed...I just ordered a v4 from them last night (Im lucky im local to them if there are any issues)

Im not saying GPR is better than scotts, just pointing out some info because once something bad like the leaky seal issue GPR had happens to a company, it seems thats all you hear about is the negative things and it haunts them no matter if the issue has been fixed.

2008 Yamaha R6

Mods:
Akrapovic full race header, Hotbodies MGP Moto GP exhaust, PCIII, BMC Race filter, Greggs Smog block off plates, smog removal, GPR V4 Stabalizer, Pazzo shorty levers, Progrip grips, GTYR Seat Cowl, Puig double bubble windscreen, Greggs tag cover, Greggs flushmounts, Custom FE: greggs led rear turn signals, greggs led licence plate light, CA Integrated taillight, 6000k HID kit, Full shogun slider kit, stompgrip tank pad, Quick release race gas cap, Bridgestone Battlax BT-016 Tires,

Last edited by xxINKxx; 05-22-2008 at 09:12 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 09:18 AM
I say, Say whaaat!

Bike: '06 R6 Raven
Send a message via AIM to Masdogwhawhat Send a message via Yahoo to Masdogwhawhat

Yup, I have the same leaking problem now. I am tryign to see how to send back right now. Hopefully I can have the upgraded v4.

'06 Raven
'06 Track/Evo IX MR (520 WHP Street, 380 WHP track)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxINKxx View Post
Apparently GPR has fixed the bad seals for the V4, the company they used to get there seals through went overseas to get a better deal (but cheaper quality) and they found out...They told me all the new V4's that are being shipped out directly through them this past few weeks have been the updated version with no leaks...

(ide assume if u ordered it through a vendor longer than a few weeks ago other than gpr direct they might have sent an old v4 that has been sitting around with the bad seal issue)

You can check the suspention forum, There is a post on the leaky v4, and i posted the email they sent me, along with others who posted some info. Hopefully they issue is resolved like they claimed...I just ordered a v4 from them last night (Im lucky im local to them if there are any issues)

Im not saying GPR is better than scotts, just pointing out some info because once something bad like the leaky seal issue GPR had happens to a company, it seems thats all you hear about is the negative things and it haunts them no matter if the issue has been fixed.
the V4 is the one that has the majority of the leaking right now. My friend had the brand new V4, used it one track day it and it was leaking everywhere, and as well as 3 other customers from our shop that bought the new V4. Like i said though, they are taking them back and replacing them no questions asked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in