Thinner head gasket= more power??? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Rush Hour Riders

Bike: Candy Red 2007 R6
Thinner head gasket= more power???

Do anyone know if getting a thinner head gasket will give me more power? Also do you now if it will cause problems later on with my bike? Ive been looking for info on doing this but I cant find any info on the subject. Are there any sites that may help me understand this better also how do I know what to buy.

2007 R6
Two Brothers Full Exhaust
Power Commander III USB
Pazzo Racing Levers
Steel Brake Lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 05:25 AM
best used over 10,000rpm

Bike: 99 R6, 97 rrv fireblade
Re: Thinner head gasket= more power???

The gains would be so little it wouldnt be worth it.
Plus alot higher chance of piston to valve contact.
If you are capable of fitting a head gasket, get the head ported, its what the super sport class does.
On a 600, you can throw loads of money at them, but alot of the time, buying an r1 would have been better in the first place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:55 PM

If you plan on racing, first thing to do is to check the rules for what class you want to be in. No point in getting the head ported/polished if you want to run super stock class (aka, cheapest 600 class). Most classes will bump you up to a modified production or super sport/formula class as soon as you start taking metal off of the head.

A thinner gasket will give you more power by increasing your compression ratio. Make sure you have someone do it that can do it properly, and doing it properly normally means about 3-4 gaskets of different thicknesses, so you'll be spending some money. Every gasket thickness has to be checked for p/v clearance, and how much of that you run depends on how much of a safety factor you want if you miss a shift and over rev the engine.

I agree with john though, if you're not planning on racing and just want more power, it cheaper and much more reliable to just get a bigger bike, even though they don't handle as well.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: stupid ones and a Prius

you may also want to consider that you will be raising your compression ratio, which may cause detonation depending on how much your compression ratio goes up. That translates into a streetbike that runs off race gas, and at $4.50/gallon like out here in Cali for just pump gas, it becomes an expensive proposition. Furthermore, you run the risk of compromising your reliability with higher compression. Basically, if you must have more power, the cheapest route (unless you have time, ability, and a machine shop in your garage) is to get a bigger bike and suffer through the lesser handling abilities of that bike. That said, my woman and I built a Kawi 636 for her to drag race (I know, I know, a Kawi, but at the drags it smokes my 08 r6 with the same rider on both) and we got a pretty good amount of power out of the head. I have not dyno'd it yet, but I have heard upwards of 17 horsepower at the peak with a gain of at least 5 hp the whole usable curve. Also, I noticed that the power falls off about 1500 rpm later, near the indicated redline. The r6 may react differently, especially with less displacement, but I would suspect similar gains. The headwork, however, was not cheap and I only did it because I was in there anyway replacing some broken transmission parts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 02:09 PM

Bike: Pasta & Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
you may also want to consider that you will be raising your compression ratio, which may cause detonation depending on how much your compression ratio goes up. That translates into a streetbike that runs off race gas, and at $4.50/gallon like out here in Cali for just pump gas, it becomes an expensive proposition. Furthermore, you run the risk of compromising your reliability with higher compression. Basically, if you must have more power, the cheapest route (unless you have time, ability, and a machine shop in your garage) is to get a bigger bike and suffer through the lesser handling abilities of that bike. That said, my woman and I built a Kawi 636 for her to drag race (I know, I know, a Kawi, but at the drags it smokes my 08 r6 with the same rider on both) and we got a pretty good amount of power out of the head. I have not dyno'd it yet, but I have heard upwards of 17 horsepower at the peak with a gain of at least 5 hp the whole usable curve. Also, I noticed that the power falls off about 1500 rpm later, near the indicated redline. The r6 may react differently, especially with less displacement, but I would suspect similar gains. The headwork, however, was not cheap and I only did it because I was in there anyway replacing some broken transmission parts.
The Kawi is a little different... the 36cc additional displacement already gives it an advantage, and depending on the year, they came to the US slightly restricted. You can gain 9-10 hp on the top end simply by running a jumper between two wires on the restricted models.

"Always be yourself... unless you suck." -- Joss Whedon

"Anal is just like riding a bicycle... Except without the seat." -Mark Spiegler

If you don't hang your balls out there and just do it, you'll never know what might have happened... -- Valentino Rossi

Unlike one made of concrete, the wall of adversity will eventually fall when we exert enough pressure. -- Max Edge

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -- James Dean

sig courtesy of the mega-talented dboyslade

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Rush Hour Riders

Bike: Candy Red 2007 R6

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will save my money and get a steering dampener and quick shifter instead.

2007 R6
Two Brothers Full Exhaust
Power Commander III USB
Pazzo Racing Levers
Steel Brake Lines
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 04:21 AM
best used over 10,000rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazien View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will save my money and get a steering dampener and quick shifter instead.
Quick shifter is a good idea, make sure you get a good quality one, have seen some real cheap nasty ones out there.

My race bike had one of these

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: stupid ones and a Prius

I have to somewhat agree with you MaxxxEdge, but not totally. First of all, I didn't get anywhere near 10 hp from the jumper mod (and I did it at the same time as smog removal), it was more like 2.5 to 3hp on the Factory Pro true hp dyno over in San Rafael, CA. The extra displacement is a reasonable factor though when it comes to hp. It doesnt create a lot more anywhere, but more like a little everywhere. We are also talking two completely different styles of motor and power. As I said, I havent dyno'd the bike yet after the headwork, but my sponsor is doing well right now, so I might be able to talk him into it soon. I know that the difference the headwork made was more than I got from a full Akrapovic evolution exhaust, power commander, BMC race filter, Iridium plugs, and running VP Racing Ultimate 4.2 fuel. It was really that good. Quite honestly, though, the best thing that you can do in my opinion is cut weight. It translates into good things everywhere, like quicker turning, quicker stopping, and so on. The titanium exhaust weighed less than half of the stock undertail exhaust. I removed all the lights, passenger pegs, tool kit, smog, 520 conversion, put on race fairings (catalyst racing is the best IMHO), and swapped the wheels for carrozerria forged aluminum units. The wheels made the bike feel so much different, an awesome mod. While I dont really like the 636 for the track (hence, it is pretty much drag only), it is an awesome bike. The r6, however, is much more suited to my style and preference, very much at home on the track, but often the red headed step child at the strip. I guess I am spoiled....
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by redisdeadrideblue; 06-12-2008 at 09:10 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Team: Teletubby racing

Bike: 2004 r6,1973 norton

more power doesn't mean your gonna go faster around the track..it's all about the riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario J View Post
Dan for mod 2010!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408_grow View Post
id vote dan for mod
Proud Member of Team: TELETUBBY RACING
Suicide is NEVER the answer,
getting help is the answer.,1-800-273-TALK

godspeed Noodz
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 11:11 AM
best used over 10,000rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrefyter0143 View Post
more power doesn't mean your gonna go faster around the track..it's all about the riding.
Got to agree mate, a good suspension setup can give you more than 10bhp gain.
But end of the day if the guy riding it, cant use the extra power or better feel from the bike, that a good setup will give, then the laptimes wont get any quicker.
Some of the track day guys i go with, have standard motors, just because there more reliable, but spend money on quality suspension and tyres.
Or even some kind of race school, not sure what choice you guys get, but i gained loads from my day years ago.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in