Bike prep for trackday - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
My R6 shoots tequila

Bike: 50th r1
Bike prep for trackday

I know this has been asked a thousand times....

I set up my first trackday for June 30th! Im very excited, and I have all of my gear together. The only questions I have are about what I need to do to the bike, mainly the coolant flush. Is the best thing to use just plain distilled water? The trackday isnt through any said organization, it is set up through the track itself as an open track day. Also what kind of pressures should I be running? It is going to be an evening session on the track so temps will be about 85. Is there anything else I need to do? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 01:09 PM

Bike: 03 R6
Re: Bike prep for trackday

most tracks want you to change out the coolant to something else that is track friendly. water only isn't enough to keep your engine safe. buy some Water Wetter from a auto parts store.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

it really depends on the track owner/operators what they want you to do with your bike.
most of the time you will be required to safety wire your oil filter, the drain plug(or use silicone on it) and safety wire the oil fill plug. and change out your coolant.
and of course almost always, you will have to remove your mirrors and tape up lights.

I think you said you are using 2ct's in another thread? I don't know what a good pressure is for them, I hear michelins are pretty finicky when it comes to pressures.

have fun man, you're going to have a blast. what track are you going to?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 01:13 PM

I use regular water and water wetter - some use distiled, but not necessary IMO.

For tire pressure, it depends on what tire. Check with a local performance shop (i.e. does race tuning, not a dealer). There may be someone at the track, but in case there isn't, I'd find out ahead of time.

Tape up the lights and remove mirrors, make sure your brake pads are ok, tires have life left, and suspension is set to the right sag (at minimum) and (if possible) have someone check rebound/compression. Check pressures like you said, and go have fun.

Just ride within your capabilities and don't feel like it is a race. I have seen many people get on the track and go balls out just because it is legal to do so, or make stupid passes, and end up turning their bike into a taco.

Get ready to get addicted!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
My R6 shoots tequila

Thanks for the info guys the track is Miller Motorsports Park. They hosted the Superbikes on May 29-31st. Im spoiled I know. I plan on taking it very easy, I understand completely that im not racing. I just want to work on body postition and learn how to be smooth. My mirrors are already pulled off I just use a bar end mirror. I am way excited should be a great time.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Team: Teletubby racing

Bike: 2004 r6,1973 norton

Cj.....dude don't forget to take lots of incriminating photo's of you humping a bike...and have fun!
tires set them at 30psi front 30 psi rear.
water wetter is recommended..
make sure you have lots of liquid in yourself bro, and stretch out your legs and arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario J View Post
Dan for mod 2010!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408_grow View Post
id vote dan for mod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud Member of Team: TELETUBBY RACING
Suicide is NEVER the answer,
getting help is the answer.,1-800-273-TALK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

godspeed Noodz
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 03:48 PM

Bike: 03 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon R6 View Post
I use regular water and water wetter - some use distiled, but not necessary IMO.

For tire pressure, it depends on what tire. Check with a local performance shop (i.e. does race tuning, not a dealer). There may be someone at the track, but in case there isn't, I'd find out ahead of time.

Tape up the lights and remove mirrors, make sure your brake pads are ok, tires have life left, and suspension is set to the right sag (at minimum) and (if possible) have someone check rebound/compression. Check pressures like you said, and go have fun.

Just ride within your capabilities and don't feel like it is a race. I have seen many people get on the track and go balls out just because it is legal to do so, or make stupid passes, and end up turning their bike into a taco.

Get ready to get addicted!

don't use tap water dude, it has minerals in it that will cause a scale build up. like the scale build up on your faucets and shower heads etc..
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
My R6 shoots tequila

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrefyter0143 View Post
Cj.....dude don't forget to take lots of incriminating photo's of you humping a bike...and have fun!
tires set them at 30psi front 30 psi rear.
water wetter is recommended..
make sure you have lots of liquid in yourself bro, and stretch out your legs and arms.
Take blackmail pics of myself??? I can probably work something out.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But I refuse to take any looking at paytheons ass and licking my lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue03r6 View Post
don't use tap water dude, it has minerals in it that will cause a scale build up. like the scale build up on your faucets and shower heads etc..
I was planning on using distilled water, and I need to read up on water wetter. Thanks for all the tips guys! Ill be sure to post some pics.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:57 PM
Yamaha Blue in any color

Bike: FZR-1K, R1, Vmax, R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue03r6 View Post
Yes, that is correct. Consider Engine Ice if it has been approved by the track.

Also... check with the tire guys at the track for pressure, and let them know whether or not you are running tire warmers.

Dan

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1
05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 V-Max 0098/2000 20th Anniversary
04 Roadstar Warrior

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in