What RPM does everyone shift at??? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

What RPM does everyone shift at???

Hey guys. So I had a quick question...

I was just wondering what RPM everyone shifts at if say you and a buddy were at a stoplight and after the light turns green you just let her rip...I was told that you dont want to go all the way to redline so I have my white light set to go off 2,000 below redline (11500 I think) so I know when to shift. Is that right? Do you want to hit redline or is there some other magic RPM number to shift at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:58 PM

Re: What RPM does everyone shift at???

14.5 is when it stops making power.
i have my light set at 15 just to make sure

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 12:37 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 R6S, RIP-YZF-600r

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxriderxr1 View Post
Hey guys. So I had a quick question...

I was just wondering what RPM everyone shifts at if say you and a buddy were at a stoplight and after the light turns green you just let her rip...I was told that you dont want to go all the way to redline so I have my white light set to go off 2,000 below redline (11500 I think) so I know when to shift. Is that right? Do you want to hit redline or is there some other magic RPM number to shift at?
Hey your in O-Town! Shoot me a PM if you want to go riding. The best time to shift on a R6S is around 15,000 IMO. The power starts to drop around 14,500 on the charts, but it depends on what you have done to your bike.

I am in NW Omaha and try to ride everyday.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 07:38 PM

I've had this argument with so many people its not funny. Shift at red line for the fastest acceleration times. I'll explain in more detail later because it takes me like 20 minutes to type up the explanation.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 08:06 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 R6s
Send a message via AIM to fleixius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent4573 View Post
I've had this argument with so many people its not funny. Shift at red line for the fastest acceleration times. I'll explain in more detail later because it takes me like 20 minutes to type up the explanation.
Agreed, shift higher so your left in the powerbands sweet spot when you go into second.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 08:33 PM
I eat my R6

Send a message via AIM to 38329

Redline.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 08:37 PM
I do it for the Chicks.

Bike: 2007 YZF-R6S
Send a message via AIM to Kolk1 Send a message via Yahoo to Kolk1

My light comes on at 15.5k, lower gears I shift as quick as possible, get towards 4to5 and 5to6 I may hold it a little closer to 16. OR, In 6th I just bounce of the rev limiter if Im trying to keep in site of my friends bigger bikes lol.

07 Glare White R6S, bought brand new in April 08. Current mods, Power Commander with dyno tune, K&N air filter, Yosh Carbon fiber Slip on, Smog Block offs, Slide stops, 520 Conversion with EK ZZZ chain, with -1/+2 sprockets, Speedo Healer, Black Puig DB, 4300 HID kit, Frame Sliders, Spools, CF tank guard, Vortex rear peg delete, front flush mounts, shaved seat, rear seat delete, DMP front and rear stands, Black levers, black rear sets, and soft grips.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent4573 View Post
Alrighty thanks guys. All real good answers. Agent 4573 definitely elaborate if you could whenever you get a chance.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 11:50 PM

redline. you really do get better acceleration times.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:03 AM
I eat my R6

Send a message via AIM to 38329

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxriderxr1 View Post
Alrighty thanks guys. All real good answers. Agent 4573 definitely elaborate if you could whenever you get a chance.
The meat of the torque curve peaks well before redline, but the engine continues making great power past that... if you rip all the way to redline then your shift lands you right back into the meat of the torque curve. I.e. you're making great power the whole time and spending as much of your time as you can with the most torque.

If you shift at the point of max power/torque, your shift will land you at a point below the goodness.

I only shortshift in places where it is beneficial due to track layout or gearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in