leaning and body position question - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
ヤマハ for life

Bike: 2007 CS R6
leaning and body position question

I have done a search but haven't been able to find what I am looking for, so if this is something that has been brought up a million times I apologize for that. I have been riding for a little over a year. One of the first days I had my bike I went out for a ride with a friend and some guys who are big into racing. They were showing me how I should go around turns and and the way I should position my body on the bike. They said I should shift my body over in a fluid motion with my head, shoulder, and knee moving together. It has helped and I can go through turns better than I used to be able to.

Even though my friends make fun of me when I am doing it I still find it helpful to practice my body position even when not pushing the bike. I find it funny though how they mostly think they are great riders but just watching them go through turns just looks uncomfortable. Their head is almost over the opposite side of the visor than the direction they are going.

My question is that sometimes I still feel uncomfortable when leaning to the right side. Going to the left is fine, but I feel too stiff sometimes when when I go right. I was told to just keep going through a lot of right turns and I will get over it but it hasn't seemed to work. Is there anyone else out there who has or is experiencing the same thing or something similar, and is there anything i should try to remedy this? I haven't been to a track day and it seems like my work schedule may not let me before the end of the season. I am assuming once I start attending track days I will get over it, but I don;t want to keep that idea in my head and then put the bike down cause I was positioned wrong on the bike.

I appreciate any help people have to offer, and thanks in advance.

-Andrew

2007 Charcoal Silver R6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 09:08 AM
46 Fan

Bike: 03 ZX-6R, 03 RC51
Send a message via MSN to chindian
Re: leaning and body position question

Watch a superbike race, notice how even the top 5 have different body positions? Corner to corner, track to track, nothing should be the same. Best advice I can give is find something that works for you... being comfortable will allow you to concentrate on what you're supposed to be doing. Take it to the track though, that's the best place for honing in this skill.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 09:40 AM
VVVVVVRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMM

Bike: 2007 R6

A friend of mine hates right hand turns. He says going to the left I can run off the road. To the right if I go wide I could smack into an on coming vehicle. That could be one of the major physiological factors limiting your ability to turn right. Now, I am having similar problems. I feel unstable through the turns. I think my problem is mainly tires are worn out.. suspension setup is still iffy. Also, if your unsure of the roads you are running don't go flying through them. Some of the guys I ride with sometime are pulled over with their helmets off before I catch up. They know the roads and were riding motorcycles back when I was in middle school. I am 23 now! So, they have been at it awhile. Don't let the other guys push you to ride faster than your riding ability. You'll end up with thousands of dollars in repairs or possibly no bike at all. Take your time. What fun is riding when all you are doing is beating yourself up because you can't keep up.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Team: Teletubby racing

Bike: 2004 r6,1973 norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by chindian View Post
Watch a superbike race, notice how even the top 5 have different body positions? Corner to corner, track to track, nothing should be the same. Best advice I can give is find something that works for you... being comfortable will allow you to concentrate on what you're supposed to be doing. Take it to the track though, that's the best place for honing in this skill.
qhat he said above...it's to your comfort level
my body positioning looks like this...but i see other people ride differently

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario J View Post
Dan for mod 2010!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408_grow View Post
id vote dan for mod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud Member of Team: TELETUBBY RACING
Suicide is NEVER the answer,
getting help is the answer.,1-800-273-TALK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

godspeed Noodz
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Will work for parts...

Bike: 2008 R6
Send a message via AIM to YZRM1-R6

I have the same problem. I have absolutely ZERO chicken strip on the left and about 1/4-1/2 in on the right. I feel really confident to the left, but when it comes to the right im just not comfortable leaning the bike over that far. I think for me it has to do with throttle control when im leaned off to the right. I have two track days at NJMP in august and im really going to focus on right handers.

Also, this helped... I found an open parking lot (its brand new for a high school that just got built) and just started making progressively tighter circles to the right leaning more and more. If i felt uncomfortable, i would pick the bike up... Drive around... and try again.

Unfortunately i have had a little bit of front end push with stock qualifiers so i just put on some DC III's... It could be due to my suspension and not the tire though... But yeah anyway... Im in the same boat as you!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrefyter0143 View Post
qhat he said above...it's to your comfort level
my body positioning looks like this...but i see other people ride differently

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
anything to show off, huh? well... so?

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
ヤマハ for life

Thanks for the responses guys. it has nothing to do with me trying to keep up. I tell my friends when we go riding "don't wait, I know where we r going so I will meet you there if I fall back." so i don't care what people think about my riding, I just want to feel more comfortable with leaning off to the right, but I have been progressively getting faster. It's not a matter of knowing the roads either cause there are some spots we always ride at so I know where there is driveways, gravel, bumps etc.

The front wheel also feels like it is tucking down and in sometimes when i am leaning. I don't know how else to describe it. It could be from the suspension which is dead stock. I haven't had it adjusted either which I hear helps a lot. Does anyone in the NY know a good place to get that done?

-Andrew

2007 Charcoal Silver R6
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 08:54 PM
46 Fan

Bike: 03 ZX-6R, 03 RC51
Send a message via MSN to chindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyreno View Post

The front wheel also feels like it is tucking down and in sometimes when i am leaning. I don't know how else to describe it. It could be from the suspension which is dead stock. I haven't had it adjusted either which I hear helps a lot. Does anyone in the NY know a good place to get that done?

-Andrew
Check your tire pressures, they may be off. As for suspension, the OEM setup on the R6 was fantastic (if you're under 180lbs). I rode my buddies 06 on the track with the bone stock suspension, actually it still has the bone stock suspension (except now we set the sag to match his current weight) and it's a missile on the track. remember, 80% rider, 20% machine.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
ヤマハ for life

I am 5' 11" and just around 180lbs. I am sure it is me and not the bike, but does anyone know what the tire pressure should be at so I can check it to make sure? It doesn't feel like that going to the left, only to the right so I don't think that is it. I did have shifted vertebrae in my upper neck which was pinching nerves in my right shoulder and down my right arm, so maybe that side is still a little tense.

-Andrew

2007 Charcoal Silver R6
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 09:54 AM
VVVVVVRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMM

Bike: 2007 R6

Here man I remembered I had these on my Youtube. You may benefit from these..

The 3rd video is a rough but accurate way to setup your sag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in