6' 3" ... 185 lbs... Disadvantage? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Will work for parts...

Bike: 2008 R6
Send a message via AIM to YZRM1-R6
6' 3" ... 185 lbs... Disadvantage?

As noted im fairly tall and lean... The lean part not being an issue, but Being tall... Is this putting me at a big disadvantage while riding? Especially at the track?

I feel like i REALLY hang off the bike a lot... sometimes i worry that its too much. Im wondering if some of this is just due to my height... anyone have any input? Or have any advice for a taller rider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 07:08 PM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2008 Yamaha R6 Flames
Re: 6' 3" ... 185 lbs... Disadvantage?

I think it's all in your head buddy. If anything else, it would be easier to knee drag on the NJMP. I went there last Wed. & I found the control rider telling me to lean more & pick up speed.... & I thought I was doing pretty good. Have yourself photographed or video-ed. Pix don't lie & you can evaluate yourself.
BTW: I'm 5'8" & 160lbs & I can use a couple of inches as I'm on my toes when I'm on the bike at a stop light :-(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 R6 cadmium yellow w/flames. Motovation no cut frame sliders, PUIG black/yellow windscreen. Custom flame handgrips & a few stickers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 08:45 PM

You will feel a little cramped on the 6 but that is it... I am 6'2 and weigh 190 and dont have an issue and my friend James is 6'4 and he is much faster than I am. You havent even begun to explore the limits that your height might place on you and you most likely never will. Dont worry about it

Last edited by jrock7896; 07-29-2008 at 08:49 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 11:57 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I'm 6'2 205, extremely lean as well. I typically (to make up for the cramped feeling) ride in some Puma shoes with very thin soles

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The thing is I used to ride in my SHOX or some flat, thicker-soled ADIDAS but I found that my knees would be slightly cramped. Wearing the thinner-soled PUMAS when I ride gives me an extra inch or so, which is all I seem to need to remain comfortable
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 Yamaha R6:

Full Micron Exhaust
Stage III Dynojet
Brembo drilled/slotted rotors
Brembo Kevlar Brake Pads
WoodcraftCFM shifter
Renthal Grips
Puig Windscreen
STMACHINE Pig Spotter II Mirrors
Navy Blue Metallic Paint (2002 Trans AM ws.6 paint)
190/50/17 Metzeler M3 Sportec Rear Tire
Various zip ties holdin' it all together :p
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 07:17 AM
wat?

Bike: 09 R6, 14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfsh View Post
I'm 6'2 205, extremely lean as well. I typically (to make up for the cramped feeling) ride in some Puma shoes with very thin soles

The thing is I used to ride in my SHOX or some flat, thicker-soled ADIDAS but I found that my knees would be slightly cramped. Wearing the thinner-soled PUMAS when I ride gives me an extra inch or so, which is all I seem to need to remain comfortable
I bet they awesome protection in a crash too...

As for the OP, height doesn't offer any inherent disadvantage outside of comfort and perhaps being able to tuck behind the bubble. Weight is the issue since it tends to go hand in hand with height... but at 185, you're hardly heavy.

And as for it being easier to knee drag... that's actually a bad thing. You have to keep that in mind mentally that at your height you can drag knee with the bike vertical and adjust accordingly
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 10:03 AM

Yeah, they don't provide the best crash protection - but I'm doing my absolutely damndest NOT to lay it down

I am yet to take my bike to a track yet - I'm too broke and I wont go without a race suit. Guess what's on catfsh's Christmas list?

1999 Yamaha R6:

Full Micron Exhaust
Stage III Dynojet
Brembo Kevlar Brake Pads
WoodcraftCFM shifter
Renthal Grips
Puig Windscreen
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Will work for parts...

Bike: 2008 R6
Send a message via AIM to YZRM1-R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
I bet they awesome protection in a crash too...

As for the OP, height doesn't offer any inherent disadvantage outside of comfort and perhaps being able to tuck behind the bubble. Weight is the issue since it tends to go hand in hand with height... but at 185, you're hardly heavy.

And as for it being easier to knee drag... that's actually a bad thing. You have to keep that in mind mentally that at your height you can drag knee with the bike vertical and adjust accordingly
HAHA... yeah i'll drag my knees on the straights... just cause i can.

Yeah i mean, im not a freak of nature in terms of height, but i Just wondered if i need to be mindful and ride in a certain way to compensate for it. I will say, my friends have noticed if i get my weight off the bike i can keep turns pretty tight and still have the bike fairly upright...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 03:39 PM

Bike: 03 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfsh View Post
Yeah, they don't provide the best crash protection - but I'm doing my absolutely damndest NOT to lay it down

I am yet to take my bike to a track yet - I'm too broke and I wont go without a race suit. Guess what's on catfsh's Christmas list?
do you live in Cincinnati?(west Chester) I seen a guy at a traffic light today with a black R6 no stickers and looked freshly painted.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 03:49 PM

Nah, it isn't even black :/

If you're a car guy, the 2000 to 2002 Trans AM ws.6 came in what is called "Navy Blue Metallic" which, depending on what lighting conditions you have it looks anywhere from blue, to sparkly royal blue, to a very matte navy at night or under cloudy conditions... this is what the color ACTUALLY looks like

1999 Yamaha R6:

Full Micron Exhaust
Stage III Dynojet
Brembo Kevlar Brake Pads
WoodcraftCFM shifter
Renthal Grips
Puig Windscreen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in