This Kitty has decided to take it to the track and needs tips/advice/suggestions... - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

This Kitty has decided to take it to the track and needs tips/advice/suggestions...

I'm a newbie rider. All my seat time has been on the street. I've been to a few track days strictly as a spectator/cheerleader and have now decided that I want to give it a try...why not right?

But...I am super nervous and excited all at the same time. So, I was wondering if anyone out there would be willing to give this girlie some tips, advice, pointers, etc that will help me get started and calm my nerves.

I know riding on the track is very technical and nothing like being on the street...I'm familiar with apexs, lines...hmmm....I think....but am definately totally oblivious about technique.....I know I won't be the female version of Rossi but I want to atleast give it a shot and not get f'ed up on the first session.......now that would suck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Yamaha Blue in any color

Bike: FZR-1K, R1, Vmax, R6
Re: This Kitty has decided to take it to the track and needs tips/advice/suggestions.

Most track organizations that I know of (NESBA, Cornerspeed) have mandatory classroom time, followed by on track instruction geared to get you into safe and proper track techniques.

Before signing up, I'd recommend reading "Motorcycle Track Day Handbook" by Kent Larson, and "A Twist of The Wrist" by Keith Code. These are two excellent books that will teach you some of the basics of prepping for, and participating in track days.

Welcome to the R6-Forum as well!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dan

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1
05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 V-Max 0098/2000 20th Anniversary
04 Roadstar Warrior

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 09:34 AM
I eat my R6

Re: This Kitty has decided to take it to the track and needs tips/advice/suggestions.

Welcome to the wonderful world of track day riding! You will want to get a second job or second mortgage to cover the cost of "track addiction" as I call it! Apart from reading and researching, the best advice I can give as a fellow novice track day guy is the following:

1: Buy quality gear... Suomy helmet saved my life twice. Invest in a back protector and good boots... I like Bohn back protectors myself. A stars make good boots, IMHO and after 2 offs last year, I also reccomend Held gloves. research your gear... What crashes well usually protects well.

2: Get anal retentive regarding bike maintenance. I bought a table, set up one of the bays in my garage just for my bike and have done everything myself. Dealerships are for street bikes... Proper maintenance is a safety issue as well. Get to know your bike and how it functions and it will make you a better rider.

3: Dont forget to have fun and be open while learning to be a better rider. This is why I ride and I'm not getting paid to go in circles on the track. Quite the opposite. I actually pay for everything... (see comment above about a second job and/or second mortgage! haha)

4: Meet people who attend the same events and make friends with them! This has multiple positive benefits including having a random part or assistance with stands if you are solo at the track. Pit with multiple people and you will have more fun and learn from more experienced riders. Dont ride over your head! I learned that the hard way when I got reeled into a corner by an expert racer thinking I was better than I really was.

5: Seat Time, Seat Time, Seat Time... Do as many track schools/track days you can afford... This will make you a better rider. Expert instruction is key here!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
Most track organizations that I know of (NESBA, Cornerspeed) have mandatory classroom time, followed by on track instruction geared to get you into safe and proper track techniques.

Before signing up, I'd recommend reading "Motorcycle Track Day Handbook" by Kent Larson, and "A Twist of The Wrist" by Keith Code. These are two excellent books that will teach you some of the basics of prepping for, and participating in track days.

Welcome to the R6-Forum as well!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thanks for the response!!! I've heard of the book "A Twist of The Wrist".

Alright, so classroom time, for sure for me.
I've been to a few NESBA track days (as a spectator) and Team Promotion as well. And now that you mention it, you're right. I believe the Training class was "White Group" so that's a relief!

THANKS SO MUCH! ! ! !

....still trying to figure out this 'forum' world but I'll get it...I'm determined.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Ok. . . . .So, 2nd Mortgage, Credit Cards, And GEAR GEAR and more GEAR!

Got it!!

I just did a search and it seems like gear for women is very limited....which, umm, you wouldn't know about...umm, atleast I hope. LOL

I'll just get mini versions of the Men's Gear.....as for the maintenance, well, believe it or not, I'm looking forward to that aspect of this venture. I agree with you, the best way to get familiar with my bike is for me to do as much as possible! I can't wait to break my bike down and install my first set of plastics!!!!!! Just need to add a TV, Espresso Machine and a few other necessities to the garage.......don't roll your eyes!

Thanks for responding!!!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6addict View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of track day riding! You will want to get a second job or second mortgage to cover the cost of "track addiction" as I call it! Apart from reading and researching, the best advice I can give as a fellow novice track day guy is the following:

1: Buy quality gear... Suomy helmet saved my life twice. Invest in a back protector and good boots... I like Bohn back protectors myself. A stars make good boots, IMHO and after 2 offs last year, I also reccomend Held gloves. research your gear... What crashes well usually protects well.

2: Get anal retentive regarding bike maintenance. I bought a table, set up one of the bays in my garage just for my bike and have done everything myself. Dealerships are for street bikes... Proper maintenance is a safety issue as well. Get to know your bike and how it functions and it will make you a better rider.

3: Dont forget to have fun and be open while learning to be a better rider. This is why I ride and I'm not getting paid to go in circles on the track. Quite the opposite. I actually pay for everything... (see comment above about a second job and/or second mortgage! haha)

4: Meet people who attend the same events and make friends with them! This has multiple positive benefits including having a random part or assistance with stands if you are solo at the track. Pit with multiple people and you will have more fun and learn from more experienced riders. Dont ride over your head! I learned that the hard way when I got reeled into a corner by an expert racer thinking I was better than I really was.

5: Seat Time, Seat Time, Seat Time... Do as many track schools/track days you can afford... This will make you a better rider. Expert instruction is key here!
Forgot to add. . . Cool PIC! Can't wait to have my own!!!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 10:19 AM
Yamaha Blue in any color

Bike: FZR-1K, R1, Vmax, R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinKitty View Post
Thanks for the response!!! I've heard of the book "A Twist of The Wrist".

Alright, so classroom time, for sure for me.
I've been to a few NESBA track days (as a spectator) and Team Promotion as well. And now that you mention it, you're right. I believe the Training class was "White Group" so that's a relief!

THANKS SO MUCH! ! ! !

....still trying to figure out this 'forum' world but I'll get it...I'm determined.
This is a great Forum. The members are very helpful, and many of them have been at this for a while.

Once you start attending track days you'll have a new, permanent hobby,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dan

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1
05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 V-Max 0098/2000 20th Anniversary
04 Roadstar Warrior

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
This is a great Forum. The members are very helpful, and many of them have been at this for a while.

Once you start attending track days you'll have a new, permanent hobby,
CAN'T WAIT!!!! I'm already hooked and I haven't even tasted it yet....
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 10:30 AM
T-1
Thanks for playing.

Bike: 2010 Roubaix S-Works

Welcome to the forum---good luck on your new interest in track days--will be money well spent for sure. But before we get too far ahead of ourselves, keep in mind when dealing with this forum---there are rules....

For example--
Dan (fyrefyter) may very well try to sleep with you. Fear not, for this is a test..dan is actually gay.

Also--if you happen to have a sister--perhaps in the teens, A-Rab may very well try to sleep with her..be fearful..for this is not a test---and even if he doesn't actually accomplish the goal, he may say that he did, but not have a picture to prove it.

Phantom (justin) may attempt to hate you--but he's a good kid..and with a little guidence (and a hickey) he may be coaxed into making you a signature (but you didn't hear that from me).

Zantos will tell you that Bush is the reason you don't get better mileage on your Dunlops, and that if Obama wins the election, track days will be more affordable, then he'll attath a link to CNN that tells him this is true.

And as for me--well--I'll just need to see your license and registration---and I'm sorry, is that an apple fritter I see over there?!?!?

There are some great people on this forum--and some great information--alas, it is the internet so take it all with a grain (or 10) of salt.

As always, enjoy yourself, and keep it terrible.

T1

Last edited by T-1; 08-28-2008 at 10:40 AM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-1 View Post
Welcome to the forum---good luck on your new interest in track days--will be money well spent for sure. But before we get too far ahead of ourselves, keep in mind when dealing with this forum---there are rules....

For example--
Dan (fyrefyter) may very well try to sleep with you. Fear not, for this is a test..dan is actually gay.

Also--if you happen to have a sister--perhaps in the teens, A-Rab may very well try to sleep with her..be fearful..for this is not a test---and even if he doesn't actually accomplish the goal, he may say that he did, but not have a picture to prove it.

Phantom (justin) may attempt to hate you--but he's a good kid..and with a little guidence (and a hickey) he may be coaxed into making you a signature (but you didn't hear that from me).

And as for me--well--I'll just need to see your license and registration---and I'm sorry, is that an apple fritter I see over there?!?!?

There are some great people on this forum--and some great information--alas, it is the internet so take it all with a grain (or 10) of salt.

As always, enjoy yourself, and keep it terrible.

T1
LMAO!!! Thanks for the heads, wait, let me choose my words wisely, information. . . as for my license....I'll show you mine if you show me ....uh, nevah mind.....I better be good....naughty kitties end up in the pound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in