Cornering Technique - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Cornering Technique

Can anyone give any advice on proper cornering techniques? And then to follow up, any type of drills I can run in an empty parking lot with cones or something and goals to shoot for? I want to practice and get better, but short of just getting more comfortable on the bike when I'm cruising in canyons, I don't know how to gauge myself on how I'm progressing and I don't have anyone that I can ride with that can tell me what to work on or things I can do to improve my skill and technique. I don't have a lot of money to burn on classes and track days but I want to get better. I'm not concerned about getting a knee down as much as I am riding properly and safely.

I'm open to all ideas. Hell, if someone wants to go cruise palomar mountain or the fallbrook/temecula canyons with me every so often and give me any instruction, I'm all ears.

I want to get better, and I feel if I just keep pushing myself bit by bit, I'll eventually get in over my head and wreck my bike or seriously injure myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 02:12 PM
T-1
Thanks for playing.

Bike: 2010 Roubaix S-Works
Re: Cornering Technique

Get a hold of 'dirtslayer'..he's in your area, and per him---he's got mad skills...and even if he doesn't, I don't see you having a hard time getting him to blow you---one way or the other, someone's getting the knees down.

T1
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 02:22 PM
GSXR Eater

Bike: 2005 YZFR6 In Beast Mode
Send a message via AIM to lnaesll Send a message via Yahoo to lnaesll Send a message via Skype™ to lnaesll

Lol^^^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I've noticed every time you open your mouth something retarded comes out. Are you actually retarded or are you just playing retarded. Either way, watch your mouth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 02:41 PM
r6 is my life

Bike: 2005 yamaha r6

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 05:12 PM

Have you read twist of the wrist or twist of the wrist 2? Both give very good technique's for proper riding and cornering.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 05:23 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: '08 R6

just grip it and rip it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 05:36 PM
www.1seven1.com

Take an MSF class, if you haven't. Good stuff and you'll learn the basics.

-D
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

I took the MSF course. I tried really hard to learn from it. I think the only thing I truly got out of it was lane position on the highway and a few "what do you do when..." when i asked the instructor between drills. I've been riding a scooter in Los Angeles for two years, so I've got a pretty good understanding of awareness on two wheels amongst cars and how to be defensive and evasive and develop the sixth sense for when a car is going to cut me off. I just stepped up to the r6 a couple months ago. I was thinking about the experienced rider course, but I haven't read too many good reviews from it. Basically what I'm looking for steps and benchmarks I can give myself to shoot for and ways to practice so that I can get to that level.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 05:58 PM

The experienced riders course is a waste. You do the exact same drills as the basic course only on your own bike. Twist of the wrist 1 and 2 and "Sport Riding Techniques" can all be found online and will give you pointers to work to and drills to help you get there.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:34 PM
MITICO

Bike: 07 R6 & 08 RSV-R Factory

+1 on the twist of the wrist, read #1 on my way back to Italy and hot DAMn did I hit the mountains hard that week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in