Street Braking. - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Street Braking.

So I'm sitting here working, bored off my ass, and I figured I would query about something that I've been doing a lot lately.

Here for the past couple of months when I come up to a stop sign or stop light, I have been using both brakes as usual, but for some reason I have been sliding my back tire. It's not for very long at all, under or around a foot, and at this point I'm starting to get used to it but it's still startling sometimes.

So I guess my question is do any of you guys do this on a regular basis when you stop or do I need to let up on the foot? Maybe it's a fear of doing a failed stoppie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 05:09 AM
www.1seven1.com

Re: Street Braking.

You may actually be using the front brake more as you get more experience (lightening the rear wheel and giving you less traction).

I don't use the rear brake that much unless I'm riding two-up, doing u-turns or off in the kibble. As I've been back riding more dirt this summer, I'm trying to translate my off-road rear brake use to my track/racing skills. It's not easy (for me, anyway)

-D
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 05:13 AM
GSXR Eater

Bike: 2005 YZFR6 In Beast Mode
Send a message via AIM to lnaesll Send a message via Yahoo to lnaesll Send a message via Skype™ to lnaesll

yes man ur too heavy on ur rear break. ease up on it a bit.go with 70% front break 30% rear break.i hardly ever use my rear break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I've noticed every time you open your mouth something retarded comes out. Are you actually retarded or are you just playing retarded. Either way, watch your mouth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 05:19 AM
190rwhp......:eek5

Bike: 2011 S1000RR, 97 CR500
Send a message via Yahoo to jwxfd

Only time I ever use my rear brake is under severe braking...yellow turned millesecond before the "punch it" or "brake" point...or if wanting to be first at the metering light for an on-ramp...but theres been a couple of times where Ive accidently locked it up going hot into a turn...wakes ya up, but dirt riding plays a big role in prevention of a high side in that scenero...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sig courtesy of the man himself: GIjoe007

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Alright, I figured I was being too heavy on it. I'll try to get used to being on the front brake harder. It is helping me get better with my balance though, heh.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 09:10 PM
AFM #327

Bike: 16 R3, 17R6

yup yup.... if u've seen motoGP, u've proly seen their rear tire almost in the air... so more front brake wud be best.

AFM #327
2019 Sponsors:
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 09:43 PM

wait... there's a rear brake on this bike?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:03 PM
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

The rear brake has some uses but stopping usually isn't usually one of them, unless you are in the tullies. The rear brake is good for tightening a line up mid turn if the occasion really calls for it. Or if say you are going over a hill at a high speed while turning and want to keep positive front end traction. otherwise it can create more problems than it solves. And even when you do use it it must be with great discretion. The rear tire will come up a lot when you really get a good pace going and late braking is part of your riding style. I have had the rear come up many a time before going into a turn. not a fun experience when you also have the rear brake engaged and the rear wheel is locking.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:21 PM
my new habit

Bike: 08 Liquid Silver

check your tire pressure too...its getting colder here in the midwest and i checked mine the other day and it was 10lbs too low that might give u the sensation of the tire sliding
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:22 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2000 R6, 2007 R6

The harder you get on your front brakes, the more you have to ease up on your rear brake.

The weight is getting transfered to the front of the bike, giving the rear less traction.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in