Clutchless downshifts / upshifts - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
I say, Say whaaat!

Bike: '06 R6 Raven
Send a message via AIM to Masdogwhawhat Send a message via Yahoo to Masdogwhawhat
Clutchless downshifts / upshifts

After pulling off from first gear I rarely use the clutch! Now I had my first track day and I found out the gearshifts werent too consistant doing that! So I started using the clutch on up shifts but not the down shifts. i got so used to not using the clutch. Now I am trying to get back in the habit of using the clutch on the track. How damaging is not using the clutch ( if everything has been working smooth ) have I done or doing to the bike? Do all you track riders always use your clutch?

'06 Raven
'06 Track/Evo IX MR (520 WHP Street, 380 WHP track)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 02:34 PM

Re: Clutchless downshifts / upshifts

upshifts should be cake without using the clutch, just put pressure on the pedal and roll off the throttle a bit. downshift are trickier, i use the clutch still. but the keith code school teaches how do do it with out. i figure if Rossi uses a clutch to down shift so can i
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 07:43 PM
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, 79 GS550

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyc View Post
upshifts should be cake without using the clutch, just put pressure on the pedal and roll off the throttle a bit. downshift are trickier, i use the clutch still. but the keith code school teaches how do do it with out. i figure if Rossi uses a clutch to down shift so can i
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+1
When I was racing, I used to downshift w/o the clutch between turns 8 and 9 at Willow Springs(6th to 4th no brakes) but used the clutch when braking and downshifting (turns 1, 3 & 5) Upshifting rarely required the clutch except when short shifting. Clutchless downshifting gives alot more opportunity for damaged gear dogs than upshifting--timing is crucial. Now that I'm pretty much only on the street, I rarely find a situation where I need the small amount of time savings clutchless shifting gives.

BTW --Rossi uses the clutch to drop 3 or 4 gears entering a turn. Electronics and slipper clutches handle the rest. Plus Rossi does some other things that I WOULDN'T recommend. Ever notice where he looks while turning? Right at his front tire! Yeah, he's that good!!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 07:55 PM
190rwhp......:eek5

Bike: 2011 S1000RR, 97 CR500
Send a message via Yahoo to jwxfd

Are the bottom ends on the older 6's different than the 08's? Cause I cant clutchless downshift. Upshift no problem...Am I missing something here, or is it the Slipper-clutch thats preventing it from doing that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sig courtesy of the man himself: GIjoe007

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 10:08 PM
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, 79 GS550

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwxfd View Post
Are the bottom ends on the older 6's different than the 08's? Cause I cant clutchless downshift. Upshift no problem...Am I missing something here, or is it the Slipper-clutch thats preventing it from doing that?
No, It's a timing thing, you have to down shift exactly when you "breathe" the throttle. You have to click it at the precise time the transmission isn't loaded by acceleration or deceleration. This is a precise skill that can be really bad when you get it wrong.

I suggest that you shouldn't waste your time and maybe your tranny trying this with a street bike or even a track-day bike. This was a technique I used on racebikes that I usually rebuilt and inspected twice a year at a minimum.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 10:25 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: (RIP) 50th Anni R6, 07 R1

i wouldnt even practice clutchless downshifts. you're just begging to **** up your tranny

Proud Member of Team: TELETUBBY RACING
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Custom User Title

Bike: Built 08 r6 race bike
Send a message via AIM to Daredevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwxfd View Post
i can do it on my 05 both ways

probably just needs some more practice
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Until the day comes

Bike: 99 R6

I think the main thing you would have to worry about is when your clicking down hard and you get the rear rotating at a different speed then the front and getting to hop or slide going into a turn

NESBA & STT #383
WERA Novice #383
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 10:24 AM
190rwhp......:eek5

Bike: 2011 S1000RR, 97 CR500
Send a message via Yahoo to jwxfd

Aye...My CR's bottom end doesnt require you to take tension off the bottom end to clutchless downshift, all ya gotta do is merely start stepping down through the gears...within moderation of course. I dont plan on clutchless downshifting on my 6 mainly due to already having it down to where I can do it accurately with the clutch and blipping the throttle to get the motor up to the speed of the corresponding gear with little or no "jarring". Thanks for the advice guys...appreciate it...

Sig courtesy of the man himself: GIjoe007

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Dragging Knee

Bike: Blue 2006 R6
Send a message via AIM to mojo

The clutch is way cheaper to replace than the transmission so I always use the clutch when downshifting.

Blue because it is faster.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in