Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

How do you unscare a fallen rider?

5K views 56 replies 31 participants last post by  Jholden 
#1 ·
Friend went down pretty hard. No real injury, just banged up.

His riding style has changed.. ALOT..

Ive noticed him leaning as little as possble, and just seeming very ridged in riding... I dont wanna just tell him.. Its fine..blahblahblah..

he just always rides like hes on ice... Whats the best way to get him to .. relax or like get back in to it?

MSF course again? Ive scrubbed his tires for him so he knows there not slippery. Ive checked the suspension with him, and done the string test to show him its all straight...

Trying not to be an ass.. just wanna help him out.

#3 ·
I'm taking it that he hit a gravel patch or slick spot (oil, atf fluid, antifreeze) on the streets. He may just need to slowly grow out of it. Not much you can do with that.

If the tires gave out, were they still cold? If not, I know a set of new tires are always confidence inspiring after they're scrubbed in.

If he's not confident in the bike itself anymore, a shop can do an inspection to prove to him everything is legit. I've seen people get paranoid after there bike goes down. They'll feel a "new" vibration or hear a "new" sound. I know I did after I got forced over a median by a dumb bitch on a cell phone. It felt different riding it, but then again it was totaled:lmao.

Main this is that you're not going to be able to change it. It's up to him. You can show him the ladder, but you can't make him climb it.

#4 ·
When I went down I went out riding two day's later. If you wait and it takes a while to riding again it gets in your head not to trust the bike again. Maybe have him read some how to's on this forum like cornering and leaning again so his confidence will be there knowing he's doing the right things. You can't be afraid of the bike.

#5 ·
yea i know what your saying. I was on my way to work one day and lowsided. I picked the bike up in the middle of the road and pushed it across the street into a parking lot and tried to start it. It took a little bit but it finally turned over and i drove it the rest of the way to work. Damage was some rashed fairings and a broken clutch lever. I had two pretty torn up knees but it was all good.

I noticed that i never leaned into a turn really hard after that. Before that i was able to hit my feet on the ground just weaving and messing around but I don't think i hit them once after that. And after my current crash (looped on the highway at 85) i don't think i'll be doing wheelies anytime soon. But i am excited to rebuild over winter and ride again.

#6 ·
He did slide out. That was the purpose of the new tires. They are Avon AV56's.

The bike was checked out. I rode it before and after. Its just fine. Like I said.. its all in his head.

As for gettting back on asap - That was impossible. He broke his right wrist. And was down for 6 weeks.

#9 ·
As for gettting back on asap - That was impossible. He broke his right wrist. And was down for 6 weeks.
So, then apparently it WAS a real injury. I think it's just gonna take time man. I was thinking he just scraped his knees or something and is being a pansy now, but this is a little different.

#12 ·
I guess it affect all of us differently. After doing my shakdown run on the bike after replacing the front forks I went out riding just as fast if not faster than the day I crashed. I learned alot fom my crash and made some vows to myself. Your friend needs to realize what he did wrong and then not make the mistake again. When you understand the problem then there is nothing to be scared about. You know what you did and what will happen. It sounds like he hasn't come to terms with the issue. Once he does he will improve to the next level. Hopefully the next mistake won't be so costley and he can grow around riding the bike and not worrying about crashing. Crashing is a given. It will happen period. It is a matter of when, not if it will happen. before long he will come around and work his way past it.

#14 ·
I went down on July 28, broke my femur, tibia, fibula, and ankle.

Got my new bike on October 10, so I've been riding it for almost 2 weeks. He just needs to keep at it and work on getting his balls back. The first day I was back on the bike I was a little nervous, and it's slowly come back to me. I'd say I'm about 70% back to where I used to be after 2 weeks.

#19 ·
you crashed on my birthday bro

#15 ·
dislocated my shoulder in spring. plus its my first sport bike. was helped by a good friend
who took my for a 100 miler thu some back roads. but u did that . get SPORT RIDING TECHNIQUES by NICK IENATCH . i keep it by my night stand actually re read chap 6 last night. dont rush dude into anything he aint really cool with check his eyes. if hes got that look. he is not in his comfort zone and can hurt himself and others. lastly tell the fast boys 2 do the extreme shit without your boy 4 the above reasons

#17 ·
Yeah. Like I said - only thing that sucks is winters here.. and there might only be a handful of warm days left. So its going to sit in his mind til march.. Maybe he'l gradually forget about it.. and just hope back on.

As for the other guys - I told him not to sweat it. And yes, I watched his facial expressions. Usually I make him lead - I follow.

As for a local "track day" - I dont know of any around here.. or at least none that I am aware of. Im from Pittsburgh.. so.. anyone know any?

#18 ·
Summit Point has a few but I'm not sure of the condition of the surface... there were some issues this past year and a WERA event was cancelled due to cars tearing up the surface, I think... Not sure if it was @ Summit or what.

VIR- Danville, VA is another fun place to go.

#20 ·
Just give him some time to get back into it man... I crashed on a V-Star, and it took me 5 years to get back on a bike again, and when I got my R6S, I was like a scared little kid during a storm... I've now had the bike a year with over 4,500 miles on it, and I have imporved alot since then... When I would ride with a group of people, I told them that I had an accident and was just getting back into riding again.... Most understood, while others blew me off... What broke me somewhat is my friend and me were riding and he passed me, so I just said the hell with it.... The book that someone else mentioned above (Sportbike Riding by Nick I) is a great book on what I've read so far... Its helped me with my fear of corners, and the plus is getting out their and trying what was explained in the book....

Hell your from Pittsburgh area, and so am I.... If you want I can meet up someplace and talk to him....

#22 ·
LOL, thats good that he blew you away... It just takes some time for him to get back into the swing of things...

Why would you ride with a broken and casted hand?? I would think it would be dangerous too, but I agree the weather is getting crappy by the day!!

BTW: I'm from Vandergrift

#24 ·
Ok I was just wondering how you can ride like that.... How did you break your hand??? I'm asking, LOL

LOL, that is great that he blasted you....I bet he had a smile from ear to ear under his helmet!!!!

Since were sorta close, I think we should meet up sometime... For a beer some night, and a ride when it gets warmer out....

#25 ·
damn i guess im a lot luckier then some of u i went down at about 80 n only got road rash on my leg its finally gettin better i kinda wish i had a bike to ride on again but i def wanna get another bike......alot of friends of mine were sayin oh dont get another bike blah blah i feel like thats letting something scare u when u dont get over a fear or do it again

#29 ·
Eh i went down at 75 on RT 81 out near harrisburgh, on an 03 F4i.

Slid 100 yards down the rumble strips of the high way.. getting ripped to pieces.

LoL - I still ride broken.. let alone after its healed!!!

These were taken 45 mins after I went down.. high on endorphins and drunk on yuengling(beer came after wreck.. lol much needed pain realiever)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.