Suspension ? Tyres ? Help pls.. - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Question Suspension ? Tyres ? Help pls..

I seem to notice that whenever i'm in a corner my rear end seems to feel like its sliding a bit.. i dunno if its the useless dunlop's or the suspension rebound or just my imagination.. If its not the tyres should i try to harden the suspension ? If i do harden it, how does it affect the ride ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 09:56 AM
MITICO

Bike: 07 R6 & 08 RSV-R Factory
Re: Suspension ? Tyres ? Help pls..

is the sliding occuring entering the corner, mid corner, accelerating out of the corner? I noticed you've got an '08 so I'm not sure where you're at mileage wise (just to get a sense of what conditions your tires are in) but just hit us up with a few more details
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miticale View Post
is the sliding occuring entering the corner, mid corner, accelerating out of the corner? I noticed you've got an '08 so I'm not sure where you're at mileage wise (just to get a sense of what conditions your tires are in) but just hit us up with a few more details
it happens during mid-corners. the bike's still new, only 600miles.. maybe the tires are still new ??

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 07:49 PM
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

ok now are you on or off the gas at this point. What tire pressure were you running.

Reducing compression in the rear shock will usually add rear end traction, but if it is set to soft the bike will run wide coming out of turns and may bottom out over bumps making for a very nerouse ride. If the rebound is not stiff enough the bike will be very plush and will wallow around on corner entry. If there is to much compression the ride is harsh, rear traction will be reduced on out of corner accelleration, and will cause a tire to overheat ( also reducing traction ). If the rebound is too stiff the ride again will be harsh,the bike will understeer going wide out of corners, the bike will also jutter or jump over bumps mid turn.

If you are off the gas mid turn there is a lot of weight transfer to the front of the bike. If you have to much rebound damping the rear wheel may not follow the road very well and could cause the symptom. If you are on the gas mid turn it could be that there is either to much compression, or there is to little and the suspension is bottoming out.

If the tire pressure is to high the tire will be cold not getting hot enough for optimum traction. And depending on what lap times you are running and the type of tire, you may also be performing beyond the tires ability. We need more specific data to really establish the issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 08:16 PM

Not sure about the dunlops, and since you didn't actually mention which dunlops your on, this may not apply to you, but a lot of people describe the ride on pirelli's as "riding on marshmellows". It could be the same feeling with the dunlops.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke geis View Post
ok now are you on or off the gas at this point. What tire pressure were you running.

Reducing compression in the rear shock will usually add rear end traction, but if it is set to soft the bike will run wide coming out of turns and may bottom out over bumps making for a very nerouse ride. If the rebound is not stiff enough the bike will be very plush and will wallow around on corner entry. If there is to much compression the ride is harsh, rear traction will be reduced on out of corner accelleration, and will cause a tire to overheat ( also reducing traction ). If the rebound is too stiff the ride again will be harsh,the bike will understeer going wide out of corners, the bike will also jutter or jump over bumps mid turn.

If you are off the gas mid turn there is a lot of weight transfer to the front of the bike. If you have to much rebound damping the rear wheel may not follow the road very well and could cause the symptom. If you are on the gas mid turn it could be that there is either to much compression, or there is to little and the suspension is bottoming out.

If the tire pressure is to high the tire will be cold not getting hot enough for optimum traction. And depending on what lap times you are running and the type of tire, you may also be performing beyond the tires ability. We need more specific data to really establish the issue.
thanks a lot for the very detailed explanation.. i do notice that my suspension's a bit soft, riding over humps and bumps.. so, if i do harden the suspension, should i harden the rebound as well ? am i right to say that hardening the suspension it will increase rear end traction ?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent4573 View Post
Not sure about the dunlops, and since you didn't actually mention which dunlops your on, this may not apply to you, but a lot of people describe the ride on pirelli's as "riding on marshmellows". It could be the same feeling with the dunlops.
i'm on the stock tyres.. dunlop qualifiers.. thought of changing to a michelin pilot 2 but this tyres are still new..
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Until the day comes

Bike: 99 R6

There is no reason to change suspension at this point. Not sure about your riding expereince or your weight. But if the tires are new, are they scuffed in? How many miles are on them? What are your pressures at? What is the temp outside?

Im running a factory suspension on the track and im 220lbs, i have no problem with the tire sliding.

NESBA & STT #383
WERA Novice #383
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SilvR6 View Post
There is no reason to change suspension at this point. Not sure about your riding expereince or your weight. But if the tires are new, are they scuffed in? How many miles are on them? What are your pressures at? What is the temp outside?

Im running a factory suspension on the track and im 220lbs, i have no problem with the tire sliding.
i've been riding for 4-5 yrs now.. the weather here's about 27-30 degrees celsius.. Like i said it's only went bout 600 miles. the presure's bout 320 kpi. the sliding isn't that obvious, but the sensation is there.. it could just be cold tires.. i'm about 147 lbs..
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 08:45 PM
mine is better than yours

Bike: 2009 r6S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SilvR6 View Post
But if the tires are new, are they scuffed in? How many miles are on them?
if those tires arent scuffed in after 600mi...then he was PUSHING the bike for those miles
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
just messin with ya man

check your form. that could also be a big issue. and as silv said, also check that tire pressure. those two are EASY fixes. the suspension (spl i know!) can get complicated if you dont know exactly what you are doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in