Lean Angle - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Lean Angle

So I've been practicing riding around in parking lots to try and improve skills that aren't street friendly (wheelies are so much fun
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), but I've found I run into a serious mental block when getting approaching a steep lean angle. Especially when turning right.

I've seen a few videos of people dragging a knee while driving around in a circle in a parking lot, but I can't seem to force myself to get the bike leaned over very far at slower speeds. It feels like I'm fighting the bike and about to crash it if I go any further. Is this just a mental block? Or if I feel like the bike is about to lowside, then it probably is. Is the bike's max lean angle different for lower speeds?

I'm trying to improve my riding skills safely, but a lack of extra cash prevents track school and a lack of friends that ride prevent instruction. I'm already reading Sport Riding Technique and Twist of the Wrist II, I just need specific help when practicing.

Any advice or pointers would be helpful. Anybody in San Diego that want's to be a mentor for an enthusiastic new rider would receive a good amount of charity at happy hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 08:19 PM

Re: Lean Angle

I don't even know if I could get a knee down in a parking lot. Slow speeds are harder than fast for steep lean angle. Best word of advice, get out of the parking lot.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 08:51 PM

Bike: 07 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent4573 View Post
I don't even know if I could get a knee down in a parking lot. Slow speeds are harder than fast for steep lean angle. Best word of advice, get out of the parking lot.

i disagree..... He can practice corning and proper body position

Obviously the track is the best place to learn but if he can't get to a track a parking lot is probably his next safest option

Dragging knee at 15-20 mph is very easy

Last edited by jc r6; 10-31-2008 at 08:38 AM.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 08:25 AM
Until the day comes

Bike: 99 R6

If you feel the bike is getting loose then the bike is not settled and you will low side. One you prob don't have enough heat in the tires for grip, two your body position is prob all wrong, three going in circles isn't exactly the best to get a knee down.

Being able to set the bikes suspension properly going into a corner, and being able to accelerate out of the turn help also becuase your not focused on the turn your already looking down the track to the next turn or focusing on the tuck going down the straight.

You are no where near the bikes max lean angle, when you are dragging elbows then i would say you are.

NESBA & STT #383
WERA Novice #383
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

The parking lot is pretty big, maybe 100 X 200 yards and completely empty after hours. I just don't like testing limits I haven't tested before on public roads. My problem is just that I can't determine if the what I perceive to be wrong is in my head (because I haven't leaned it over this far before) or if there is actually something unsettled. For the most part, it feels really solid and I keep the speed and throttle very constant, but the further I lean over, the more I'm fighting the handlebars and I can't tell if it's because I'm approaching a limit or if it's supposed to be that way.

I know this is hard to explain without seeing something, I'll try and record it so I can post a vid and have you all critique me.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 02:51 PM
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK !!!

I hope you have frame sliders.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Of course, first mod I got.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 03:05 PM
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK !!!

Well then have at it.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 04:38 PM

Plenty on instructionals on you tube like they say body position is crucial feeling comfy in the lean yet still in control is going to make you feel more secure about taking it to the ground , me and my boy practice early sunday mornings on the mixmaster and you can keep looking around great practice
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 05:15 PM
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

try taking he opossite hand off the bar. You are fighting yourself. Obviously you can't remove your right hand but what I mean is relax your grip to the extent that only one hand is giving the bar input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in