What to do to minimize wheel hop? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Send a message via AIM to newtampa-r6
What to do to minimize wheel hop?

Just as the topic states, what suggestions do you guys have on ways to keep wheel hop to a minimum when downshifting? I know there is bliping the throttle, but from some articles I have read and books, they suggest that you should no longer use this medthod. Especially with bikes equipped with slipper clutches. So any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 04:16 PM
My Buell eats me.

Bike: XB12R
Re: What to do to minimize wheel hop?

What kind of bike you have?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Dragging Knee

Bike: Blue 2006 R6
Send a message via AIM to mojo

If your rear wheel is hopping let the clutch out a little slower with a little blip of the throttle.

Even with a slipper clutch you can't always just dump the clutch in every situation. Some corners on the race track you may be leaned over while dropping a few gears and even with the slipper clutch you have to be smooth.

Blue because it is faster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 04:49 PM
cmj
***** SHOES

Bike: 2002 Yamaha R6
Send a message via AIM to cmj

Drop deuce gears through a hot corner, 'shift lock' get your wheel out sideways and drift itt... pussy
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 08:01 PM
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

Crank on the brakes and get the rear tire completly off the ground. J/K...

Being smooth is the only way to minimize it. If you don't have a slipper clutch it will be challenging but can be done with some finesse. Those with slipper clutches that are still a little tight will also face a challange. The books that say that dumping the clutch is the way to go are probably assuming that you have a good slipper clutch. I usually don't worry about it to much if the thing starts bouncing as long as it is doing it while i'm still upright. going into turns I just grit my teeth and hope it's stops bouncing before i'm dedicated to my line. usually not a problem though.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Prepare to Be Boarded yar

training wheels like they have on the bikes at that sick drifting school i saw i want to do that real bad
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 04:30 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Dont use the rear brake if its the rear wheel hopping.
takes some getting used to as your brain says brake with both. You can brake quite deep into bends.
Try and stay smooth.
late braking and hard braking will slow you down.
I do some circuits and often practice riding round slower without using any brakes then build up
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 08:20 AM

Bike: 07 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikiboy View Post
Try and stay smooth.
late braking and hard braking will slow you down.
I do some circuits and often practice riding round slower without using any brakes then build up
Very true...that good advice

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 08:24 AM
Hey Guy

Bike: Stolen

If you're slowing down that much, its not a bad idea to back it into the turn. Not trying to be a show off, but that's what i usually do. If im only dropping one gear, i downshift without the clutch. If i have to pull in the clutch, i back it in.

[B]

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 12:29 PM
best used over 10,000rpm

Bike: 99 R6, 97 rrv fireblade

On track i never use the rear brake, unless its over the mountain to steady the bike, wheel hopping is caused by clutch control, watch Rossi when they go on his cluth hand, how smooth he is.

If you dont belive me, going into the turn slow, pull the clutch in all the way then get on the rear brake, does it hop??
I didnt think so, or i could be wrong and you have crashed
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

More time can be made on the mid and exit of turns than doing the last of the late breakers moves.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in