Keyless start?? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Keyless start??

Just wondering if anyone could tell me what i need and how i would wire in a keyless start for track days. thanks (pics would be get if possible)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 06:26 PM
08 Yamaha R6

Bike: 08 Yamaha R6
Re: Keyless start??

Only thing I have every really seen on this.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Most don't do it because it makes it that much easier to steal the bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods:

Full Leo Exhaust, PC III, Graves Smog Block Offs, GYT-R High Flow Filter, Barnett Race Clutch, Vortex Sprocket Conversion, DID Racing Chain, GPR Steering Damper, Smoked Galfer Brake Lines, Samco Coolant Hoses, Carrozzeria Rims, Pazzo Levers, Moto-R Engine Covers, Acumen Gear Indicator, Bohemian Racing Rear Set, Speedo Healer, Graves Frame Sliders, Moto-R Spools, Knight Rider/Solid Third Eye, Gorilla 7017 Alarm, Graves Bar Ends, CRG Hindsight LS Barend Mirror, Spider Grips, Pro Bolts Fairing Bolt Kit, Lightech Engine Bolt Kit, Solo Cowl, GYT-R Black Axle Adjusters, Hotbodies Flush Mounts, Graves ExUP Removal, Puig DB Screen, Cox's Radiator Cover, Fender Eliminator, CA Tail Light, Lawstcaws Frame Plugs, Passenger Peg Covers, Stomp Grip Pads, Black Kickstand, Harris Gold Gas Cap, Carbon Tank Pad, Lightech Gold Oil Cap, Light N'Boltz, Puig Toe Guard, Race Rotors, Lamin-X Headlight Covers, Traxxion Tank Sliders, R&G Exhaust Slider, Rizoma Front and Rear Axle Sliders, PlanetSuperBikes Number Plates, Vortex Mirror Block Offs
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 06:29 PM
08 Yamaha R6

Bike: 08 Yamaha R6

Found this not sure how close it would be, and looks like the pics don't work

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods:

Full Leo Exhaust, PC III, Graves Smog Block Offs, GYT-R High Flow Filter, Barnett Race Clutch, Vortex Sprocket Conversion, DID Racing Chain, GPR Steering Damper, Smoked Galfer Brake Lines, Samco Coolant Hoses, Carrozzeria Rims, Pazzo Levers, Moto-R Engine Covers, Acumen Gear Indicator, Bohemian Racing Rear Set, Speedo Healer, Graves Frame Sliders, Moto-R Spools, Knight Rider/Solid Third Eye, Gorilla 7017 Alarm, Graves Bar Ends, CRG Hindsight LS Barend Mirror, Spider Grips, Pro Bolts Fairing Bolt Kit, Lightech Engine Bolt Kit, Solo Cowl, GYT-R Black Axle Adjusters, Hotbodies Flush Mounts, Graves ExUP Removal, Puig DB Screen, Cox's Radiator Cover, Fender Eliminator, CA Tail Light, Lawstcaws Frame Plugs, Passenger Peg Covers, Stomp Grip Pads, Black Kickstand, Harris Gold Gas Cap, Carbon Tank Pad, Lightech Gold Oil Cap, Light N'Boltz, Puig Toe Guard, Race Rotors, Lamin-X Headlight Covers, Traxxion Tank Sliders, R&G Exhaust Slider, Rizoma Front and Rear Axle Sliders, PlanetSuperBikes Number Plates, Vortex Mirror Block Offs

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

cool thanks
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 07:48 PM

disconnect the 4 wires going to the ignition. Put a toggle switch between the two thicker wires, connect the two thinner wires together. Tada! you're done.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 03:46 AM
mailbox killin' werewolf

Bike: 06 ZX636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent4573 View Post
disconnect the 4 wires going to the ignition. Put a toggle switch between the two thicker wires, connect the two thinner wires together. Tada! you're done.
I'm gonna try this for now just to see if she will start. I havn't gotten a chance to try since my key went missing during my accident. Do you have to cut any wires or anything?? Would i be able to reconnect these wires to a new ignition down the road??

Thanks
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 05:28 AM
08 in the crate

Bike: 08 Silver R6, 04 600rr

$100 for that!!!!!
If you have your ignition off the bike what you can do is cut the wires after the plug because you don't have the key anyway then you can plug in the connection and solder the two smaller wires together and put a switch on the two bigger wires if that is how it's wired. Then you can pull the plug off if you get another ignition. Another option that we have done is wire the ignition into the run/stop switch making it the ignition and the run button. Then you don't have to buy anything, just hook it up. T
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieg22x View Post
I'm gonna try this for now just to see if she will start. I havn't gotten a chance to try since my key went missing during my accident. Do you have to cut any wires or anything?? Would i be able to reconnect these wires to a new ignition down the road??

Thanks
When you cut the wires just leave enough on all the original connectors so that you can solder them back together later. That way if you change your mind you can redo the ignition.

*EDIT, If i remember correctly, the thicker wires on the bikes harness can have male spade connectors inserted, so you won't have to cut that connector off. The two thinner wires can probably have a little jumper wire made the same way, with either male or female space connectors shoved into the wiring harness.

Last edited by Agent4573; 12-08-2008 at 06:31 PM.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 06:44 PM
www.1seven1.com

On my old R6 race bike I ran a 12v relay in the ignition lines and tripped the relay with voltage running through the kill-switch on the handle bars. It worked pretty slick ... no need for a key and the ignition went off when you flipped the red button.

On my new race bike I just safety wired wired the key into the ignition.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 04:58 AM
mailbox killin' werewolf

Bike: 06 ZX636

i was looking at it last night. It looks like i can just cut the wires about 3-4 inches after the connector and put the two small wires together to one side of a toggle switch and the two larger wires to the other side of the switch. If i cut the wires before the connector i should be able to just unplug the ignition wire plugs and plug a new ignition module into it when i get a new one right? My ignition is crushed pretty bad from when the bike went end over end down the highway. I just want to do this temporary to see if it will start. I am going to get a new ignition and lock set that comes with a key off ebay in the spring.

Last edited by frankieg22x; 12-09-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in