trackday advice - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
I hate you Turn 4!

Bike: 09 Orca
trackday advice

Well I finally decided to take the r6 to the track and try my had at it. But to be honest I really don't know much of what to have and what to expect. I figured I'm going to take the r6 turn it into a track bike and pick up something a little nicer and not beat up to cruise around in. And since there is a track about an hour from my house I was wandering if anyone could point me in what I need to start. Other than Pants, Gloves, Boots, Plastics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 01:05 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 06 R6 Blacky
Re: trackday advice

$$$. which is why im not attending at the moment. youll probably want a full suit. Some tracks are good with the 2 piece though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Go NAVY Submariners
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Zombies may bite!!!!

Bike: 2007 Yamaha R6

Dude there is hours of track advice you can be giving.

First off find out about your track, what are their rules.

Then if your going to get your racing license you will learn all about the rules of the class you will be racing in.

Then pick up a rule book from your class or whatever you will be racing.

Tires??? Depend on the track

Suspention one of the most important things to dial in if your going to be serious about racing.

Money, make sure you have lots of it. A weekend at Daytona racing one to two races can cost thousands $$$ in fuel, tires, entery fees, gear and food & shelter.

ccs#109
Robert

<Click> Blue03r6<----(thats my spell checker)

Ride it like the wifes at home with the kids

Mods: Fluxcapacitor, what else would I need?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 02:59 PM
I eat my R6

Send a message via AIM to APCh8r

Here goes, this is based off STT requirements:

1) Have the bike prepped for track use:

-Tape ALL lenses. That means side reflectors, too. Try and remove all those things as they are a pain in the butt anyways, but if you can't, tape.

-Unplug the headlight and tail light. Reason for the headlight is that it will make a gooey mess of the tape adhesive. The tail is so there is no light whatsoever seen when you brake. If it shows ANY light, you will be sent back to tape it until we can't see it. It is a simple plug you can pull under the passenger seat.

-In Novice group, we do not require removing the anti-freeze. There are good reasons for this, but IF you can, that would be stellar. I'd appreciate it. NOT required and can be a pain in the ass so, no worries if not. IF you do Intermediate or Advanced, it needs removed and you can use a supported additive. I suggest Maxima Kool-Aide or Water Wetter. There are others, but they suck and are hard to clean up. I use what is approved for racing...

-Tape the wheel weights. Again, not required for Novice, but doing it saves you any issues. If they are the clip on style, they still need taped. Use Duct tape - NOT painter's tape.

-Check tire pressures. Typically, a good rule of thumb is 30/30. It's a good place to start with street compound tires. Race tires are lower and depend on the brand/model.

-Check all your oil retaining places like the drain plug, oil fill, and filter. Too often guys change oil and forget to tighten these due to being in a rush. That's bad and will end your day and could result in a fine. No safety wire is mandated except for Advanced. If no safety wire, you can use a silicone to dab on the bolt and oil fill cap to secure it.

-Go over the bike. Check things like frame sliders, swingarm spools, rearsets, levers, etc. for being loose.

-MAKE SURE YOUR CHAIN ISN'T TOO TIGHT. If I had a dollar for every rider who had their chain banjo string tight, I could retire from working. The track will have your suspension working over time and the rear wheel travels a ton. Loosen it up a bit vs. tightening it. I use three fingers on top of the swing arm about 1/2 way from the axle to the counter shaft as a rule.

2) Make sure you as a rider are ready:

-Helmet is DOT/Snell

-Leathers can be 2 piece or 1 piece (preferred). You can use textile based suits or jacket/pant combos that zip together in Novice. Wouldn't recommend them in the other groups.

-Boots need to cover your ankles. We do get work boots a lot, but suggest road race style or similar street style boots for your safety.

-Gauntlet style gloves. Need to cover the wrist and over the jacket or suit. We allow short cuff leather gloves, too...

-Hydrate. Drink at least a gallon of water the day before and drink loads of it the day of. If you are peeing clear, you're good. Keep good fluids like water or even a bit of Pedialyte. Do not drink energy drinks or sugar filled sodas, etc. They rob you of hydration and hurt more than help.

3) Misc. items for at the track:

-Gas. You usually burn 2 gallons per session at times depending on how you run and at what pace. If you get 10 gallons, you are usually good to go.

-Tools. Bring tools. At least the essentials.

-Chairs. You need to sit and relax.

-Food. We get a free lunch (unless an LED event), but you need more than that to keep your energy level up.

4) Luxury items:

-Tire warmers - ONLY if you have race compound tires.

-Canopy.

-generator for the warmers in case you don't have a power outlet.

There are a pile of other items, but this should get you started. Others can chime in on what they bring and other ideas as to what they try and bring.

I usually have enough tools to tear a bike down 100%, have all the needed things like a fan, canopy, generator, warmers, spare rims, tires, fuel jugs, blah, blah, blah. Usually what we would ever bring when racing. That's a little overkill, but we never usually "need" anything...
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
I hate you Turn 4!

Hey guys, Thanks
Yeah I was looking into a 1 pcs suit since I have a Textile jacket. Work boots, are you kidding me. I've never raced on a course but I had more sense than that to wear those. Question though. Why tape the weights on the rims? Not that I won't just wandering for what reason. I doubt I'll get huge into it, I just seem like a fun thing to do. Hang with fellow riders, learn from the vets and just enjoy a weekend. As far as the track goes, Nelson's Ledges, based ont the vid deff. not a top course but who cares. I'm not looking at wining the next Moto-Gp. Anyone were ridden there?

APCh8er, Wow man thanks for all the words of wisdom.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Custom User Title

Bike: Built 08 r6 race bike
Send a message via AIM to Daredevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronk277 View Post
Hey guys, Thanks
Yeah I was looking into a 1 pcs suit since I have a Textile jacket. Work boots, are you kidding me. I've never raced on a course but I had more sense than that to wear those.
hahahahahahahahahahhahaha. this statement is so contradicting its mind boggling.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 05:28 AM
Zombies may bite!!!!

Bike: 2007 Yamaha R6

Get the rule book for your class devision and track!!

There are a lot more things that have to be taken care of if you are serious about racing.

Just missed in the wheel and rim section of APCh8er's post is the fact that you need metal valve stems for most tracks.

So once again check your local track for the rules you need to follow....

Maybe get a little more street time in and pick up a book or mag to get a little more fimilar with what you are attempting to do.

Maybe go to the track and find some people you can tag along with and get more info on.

Just my .02

ccs#109
Robert

<Click> Blue03r6<----(thats my spell checker)

Ride it like the wifes at home with the kids

Mods: Fluxcapacitor, what else would I need?

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
I hate you Turn 4!

Sorry DD,
What I meant was I wasn't going to get a set of pants that zip onto my jacket that I have now. Also I figured leather being a better option for the track. Just my two cents. But hey its cool make fun of someone that knows nothing and really wants to learn and do things right and not be the guy that comes out to the track that could injure someone else or myself on the track. I guess you were never new to anything.

I'm not about trying to take short cuts, if I'm going to do this I going to do it right. Set my bike up the right way, have the proper equipment, listen and learn.

As far as riding goes I've been on bike since I was about 5 yrs just been the last 4 on street.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: stupid ones and a Prius

contact your track day provider for a checklist. That would be the easiest.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Fez

I believe you also have to have your bike safety wired for most track days also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in