making casual crusing more comfortable - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

making casual crusing more comfortable

hey im kind of new to riding. I got my 07 r6 right before the beginning of the summer of last year. so ive technically only had 1 season of riding under my belt so far. anyway...my wrists start to throb in pain about an hour of riding and eventually becomes unbearable. Bad enough that my clutch hand eventually goes numb and i cant pull the clutch. it feels like i have too much weight on my wrists due to the positioning of the bike. is there anything i can do to make my bike a tad more comfortable? Its only my bike too. when i ride my buddies 07 cbr im fine. his bike is lowered in the back where as mine is stock height for now. i dont do wheelies or stunt or anything like that. just cruise the highways and country roads.

Last edited by red92tsi; 02-22-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 09:17 PM
drag some knee

Bike: 2007 R6
Re: making casual crusing more comfortable

i got mine about the same time you did, and at first my hands would go to sleep bc i would sqeeze the tar out of mt grips but id say the thing that helped me the most was gaining experience and learning to relax.. and the more i rode the better it got.. this is my first crotch rocket i grew up with dirt bikes and four wheelers and never noticed the numbness i had got when rideing my r6 but with time its all went away

oh and what made mine feel better i lowered my levers down, felt way better for me
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Nut 'N Bitch

Bike: 07 R6 - Blue

Hold on with your knees a little more and a little less of your hands. keep your hands moving and the blood flowing....do wheelies
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Omnislug likes this.

-Get Well Soon T-1. Thoughts are with you buddy-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkdrips View Post
and if you had any common sense, you'd know that you're more likely to kill someone else on a track than on a highway.
2007 Yamaha R6
Performance
-Full Leo Vince SKB Carbon Exhaust
-Bazzaz ZFI Module
-Bazzaz ZAFM Self Mapping
-BMC Race Filter
-Grave Smog Block-offs
-Driven -1 Front Sprocket
-Air Intake Mod

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Track Day Junkie

Bike: 08 R6

Its in your body position. Im 6'4 and my hands have never gone numb and ive ridden 300+ miles in a day on my 6. Like ^^ said use your knees more as well as your back and abbs to take some of the weight off your writs. Also dont give the bars a death grip, that will help as well.

If you have a rear stand put it up on it and sit on the bike and play with using your abbs and back and not your arms. It is possible to hold yourself up without using your arms at all, and still be touching the grips. If you dont have a stand get a friend to hold you up.

Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 09:37 PM
I eat Vespas

Bike: '07 R6

+1 on all the above. Plus I've learned softer grips/gloves can aid. I really try not to put weight on my arms much at all.
Relax.

Speed is like sex, but its always good!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

would aftermarket clip-ons help? i was told they would
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Nut 'N Bitch

Bike: 07 R6 - Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92tsi View Post
waste-o-money. Iv heard the same before but either way your going to have to adjust your body position. Its not like your changing your bars to ape hangers or anything

-Get Well Soon T-1. Thoughts are with you buddy-

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkdrips View Post
and if you had any common sense, you'd know that you're more likely to kill someone else on a track than on a highway.
2007 Yamaha R6
Performance
-Full Leo Vince SKB Carbon Exhaust
-Bazzaz ZFI Module
-Bazzaz ZAFM Self Mapping
-BMC Race Filter
-Grave Smog Block-offs
-Driven -1 Front Sprocket
-Air Intake Mod
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 09:51 PM
AFM #327

Bike: 16 R3, 17R6

if you are on the highway, let the wind keep you up, that takes off a lot of strain from your hands/wrists.
as everyone else said, balance more using legs and not hands.
Coming from a SV, I had similar troubles at first, as I got used to the six, feels natural now. You will eventually get it if you really try.
Omnislug likes this.

AFM #327
2019 Sponsors:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Track Day Junkie

Bike: 08 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92tsi View Post
No, they usually lower the bars height for a more aggressive position. Work on your body position, thats your answer pure and simple. If you really think you need to buy something to help check out Helibars.com, not sure if they make a kit for our bike but they might.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 10:24 PM
U.S. Marine

Bike: 08 Raven R6

The ergos of an R6 are a lot different than a CBR in the wrist area. Like the other guy said, use your knees a lot more and somewhat keep your weight centered over the seat/tank area. There are a couple of riding positions I use on my 08 for long rides. I just kinda get used to that permanent tingle in my wrist though. And not sure about clip-ons....

Bike:
GYTR slip-on | Framesliders | Swingarm spools | LP Racing Flushmounts | Comp Werkes Fender Eliminator | Scorpio SR-i900 Security System | Scotts Steering Damper | PUIG Windscreen | DDM 6000K HID's | Vortex Rearsets | ASV Levers | R6-Forum Reservoir Cover (Thanks Agg) | Powdercoated Passenger Pegs (Thanks Agg) | Vortex Racing Sprockets 16/45 | DID 525ZVM-X Chain
Gear:
Alpinestars RC-1 1-Piece Suit | Alpinestars SMK Leather Jacket |Shoei X-12 Kiyonari TC-2 | Shoei RF-1000 TC-2 | Alpinestars SP-X Gloves |Alpinestars GP Pro Gloves | Alpinestars S-1 Gloves | Icon ARC Pants | Alpinestars S-MX 1 Boots | Alpinestars S-MX 5 Boots | Alpinestars Track Vest

Yut Ughh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in