what is speed shifting and how, or should I do it? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

what is speed shifting and how, or should I do it?

just read a forum and they mentioned speed shifting a few times. from what I gater its just pushing the shift lever to shift without the clutch. But how dose that work and should it be done?
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
They also said something about a clutch that came in the 06+ gsxr that is made to do it.

anyway any help would be awesome. (keep in mind im still a noob rider)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Phi Phi K A

Bike: 2007 Candy Red R6
Re: what is speed shifting and how, or should I do it?

Yes. Shifting without the clutch. And yes, its fine. But DO NOT down shift without the clutch. That is bad mmmkay. Clutchless shifting is used at the track. It takes a little practice. It is not neccessary for the street.

Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure.

Aldous Huxley 1894-1963

Love me or hate me.
Either way it's an obsession.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Intermediate Knee Dragger

Bike: 2009 TU250

The 06+ GSXR 600/750 have a slipper clutch. It does not have anything to do whatsoever with clutchless shifting. It allows you to be a little sloppy with your rev matching while downshifting, though they can still be locked up (personally tested... Oopsy.) All motorcycles can shift without the clutch fairly easily, though it is easier on some than others. For anything with a chain final drive it is dead simple.

Clultchless shifting is easy. While accelerating you pre-load the shifter by putting your toe underneath it (or on top of it if you're doing the race-pattern-thang) and applying slight pressure. Then you roll off the throttle for just a moment and then roll it back on. When you roll off the throttle, it unloads the transmission, which allows it to slip gently and smoothly into the next gear; no grinding, no muss, no fuss. Done correctly it is quite smooth and saves you a second or two on your laptimes.

For street riding it's just for bragging rights for the Starschmucks parking lot pimps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dragging Knee > Wheelies

"The anguish of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -- Unknown

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

thanks chango, I will have to try it next time I am out. is there any rpm that I should be at or dose it work at all rpms?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Will Race for Food

Noleman you say yes and then describe something different. ????

There are devices on the market called speed shifters and what they do is for a moment they kill your ignition, this unloads the transmission. This prevents the need for what Noleman is describing which is a clutchless shift. With a speedshifter it allows you to keep the throttle wide open and still shift.

Noleman describes a clutchless shift and I wouldn't think there would be an advantage to a clutchless shift on the street, why take the chance of abusing your transmission for shifts not done properly. When racing every fraction of a second counts. I don't know about 2 seconds a lap. Putting a speedshifter on my bike was good for a quarter second a lap but no way 2 seconds even on a big track.

Z

Wera & CCS EX#79, Team Promotion Coach #79 AMA Moto-GT #12
2006 Yamaha YZF-R6

2009 Sponsors:
Team Pro-Motion, Speedwerks, CTR Suspensions, Turner Landscaping, Redline Motorsports, Vortex Racing, LP, Pirelli

They say you only live once, if you lived my life once is more then enough. - Frank Sinatra
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Phi Phi K A

Bike: 2007 Candy Red R6

Yeah Z-man. I was saying yes to his initial question. I gathered that he is not aware of Dynojet Quick Shifter. I assumed he is asking about clutchless shifting when he says "speed shifting." Thats why I changed the terminology in the middle of my post. Sometimes I answer a question at the level it was asked. If someone asks, what the heck is speed shifting and then makes a statement about a certain bike coming from the factory with a clutch that is specific to "speed shifting"(LOL) I assume he does not know much about this technique and some of the equiptment used to help with it.

However, using a Quickshifter is still clutchless shifting. Clutchless shifting without a quickshifter is the same as with. One just uses a computer to unload the motor(coupled with an electric shifter) and the other uses your throttle to unload the motor(coupled with your toe). And you are right, neither will save you a "couple" of seconds LOL. Maybe a half a second.

Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure.

Aldous Huxley 1894-1963

Love me or hate me.
Either way it's an obsession.

Last edited by Noleman; 02-28-2009 at 09:46 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 09:15 PM
www.1seven1.com

Quickshifters rock. Spotless WFO shifting.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in