Winter storage tips (for those affected) - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Winter storage tips (for those affected)

No big secret, I live in Wisconsin. It's already been below freezing here, so it's about time to put the bike in storage for the season.

I'm lucky enough to have heated underground parking, but I still like to prep my bike just in case.

You'll need:
-Oil and filter (filter wrench possibly, and oil collection container)
-Stabil or other fuel additive
-Tools to take battery out, and battery tender or charger
-Soap and water/cleaning materials
-Cover for bike/stands/cardboard

How to:
Take your bike for a little bit of a ride to get her warm- but not hot! Run her to the gas station, you'll want a full tank of gas for this. Once she's warm, go home and change the oil. This is a step that once you've seen it done, you can probably do on your own. I like the K&N filters because they are easier to install/remove, and they have the space to safety wire it for the track.

Once you have the oil changed, add the Stabil to your gas tank. Read the directions on the bottle!

Take the battery out of your bike. You'll want to keep it somewhere warm for the winter (mine was on my kitchen counter all last winter, but I also had tires in the living room, so I'm a little weird.)

Wash up your bike, get all the icky bugs off of her, give her some love!! Let her dry, and then careful move her to where she'll be stored. If you have bike stands, you will want her in those for the winter. If not, try to find a piece of rug, cardboard, or other softer surface for the tires to sit on. DO NOT let your tires sit on bare concrete, you'll have a flat spot in spring!!
Cover her with a breathable fabric, bike cover, or similar.

Yes, my bike is a girl
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I always refer to beautiful things as women!!

PS- Don't forget to take anything you might need out of the truck/storage of your bike. You'll forget it's there and look for it forever. Also, put your bike key somewhere obvious or you'll look endlessly in the spring!!

I am a girl, please don't call me a guy!!

If my life were only as others perceive it.

Last edited by Crash in WI; 10-27-2006 at 04:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Re: Winter storage tips (for those affected)

Now that your bike is done, here's what to do with your gear:

I like to clean my helmet. I take off the shields, wipe them down, and wipe down the helmet casing. I put them in their little bag, and store them in the house.

I like to hang my leathers on THICK hangers. Like the big display hangers they use in nice department stores. They are hard to find, but may have come with your gear. I take luke-warm water and a soft cloth to remove any bugs/debris on my leathers. DO NOT soak them in water!! Just wipe them off like you would a kitchen table. Let them dry for a bit, then take a leather conditioner and rub that all over the leather. Make sure you get the spots that tend to wear faster really well- like under the arms, elbows, collars/cuffs, zipper sides, etc. Let dry in open air before putting away.

I like to take my boots apart, wipe down, and WD-40 them so they don't squeak as bad. Let them dry, put away.

Put your bike gear all in a similar area so you can find it in the spring. Take note of what you may need, add it to your holiday list!!

I am a girl, please don't call me a guy!!

If my life were only as others perceive it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 05:10 PM
All about the corners

Bike: 04 R1, 06 R6, 07 YZ250f

You are on it!!!!

I myself like to ...wax, wash it, fill her with gas, and keep riding!!!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 07:54 PM
I fling poo!

Bike: 03 r6
Send a message via AIM to Monky Send a message via MSN to Monky Send a message via Yahoo to Monky

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaDan
You are on it!!!!

I myself like to ...wax, wash it, fill her with gas, and keep riding!!!
Thats what I do too..even though we have this thing called snow to keep us from riding.

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.
Jesus rode a Harley --- It says in the Bible ---- "He was always walking here -- and always walking there".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 08:17 PM
Smiley Whore

Bike: '06 White/Red
Send a message via AIM to teh jatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monky
Thats what I do too..even though we have this thing called snow to keep us from riding.
snow shouldn't stop you from riding her....

'06 Competition White R6
Yoshimura Full System Carbon Fiber
Marchesini Gold Aluminum Wheels
6000K HID Projectors with Halos
Dark Smoke Standard Screen
Vortex +46 Rear Sprocket
Gregg's Customs FE Kit
GYTR Clear Tank Pad
Knight Rider 3rd eye
GPR Gold Stablizier
Sho-gun Crash Kit
Ducati LED Mirrors
Graves Flushies
EK Gold Chain
Pazzo Levers
PCIII
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 10:03 AM
blue is always faster...

and if nothing else... leave the battery on the bike and start it up every couple of weeks or so. that'll keep the oil moving around a bit and keep the battery charged. but hey... to each his own. I ride year round unless its raining... forget that!

2007 Yamaha FZ1
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 05:59 PM
I fling poo!

Bike: 03 r6
Send a message via AIM to Monky Send a message via MSN to Monky Send a message via Yahoo to Monky

Oh yeah.. if no one posted it.. if you put a fuel stabilizer into your bike for the winter be sure to run your bike up to temp to ensure that the additive goes into the entire fuel system and that it doesn't just sit in the gas tank.

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.
Jesus rode a Harley --- It says in the Bible ---- "He was always walking here -- and always walking there".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 06:07 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: a BIGWHEEL
Send a message via AIM to BuCwiLd

helpfull, thanks

GOIN DOWN IS GOING TO HAPPEN! BE SMART. WEAR GEAR!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 06:17 PM
T.W.O. (Two Wheels Only)

Bike: used to ride a 2006 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash in WI
DO NOT let your tires sit on bare concrete, you'll have a flat spot in spring!!
Normally after a year of riding tires are shot so it doesn't really matter. If your tires are still good though stands are a good idea. Good stuff but I think ron covered this already
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Komo

Bike: 03 R6

ya doesnt WI suck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in