2007 R6 MC question: key, steering and light - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

2007 R6 MC question: key, steering and light

I hope you will help me. I'm a paralegal trying to help a family understand an accident that killed their son. He was walking his 2007 R6 MC along a road at night.

They believe to steer the bike, he must have the key in the ignition.

Is that correct, or could he steer if the key was not in the ignition or had been removed while in the "off" position (versus the locked position)? What key position is necessary to steer?

They believe that having the key in the ignition would automatically turn on the lights. Is that correct? Or are the lights "on" only when the engine is started, and they stay on until --- when? The key is turned off? the battery runs out?

Any info to help shed some light - is appreciated. Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 06:56 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6
Re: 2007 R6 MC question: key, steering and light

The steering is only locked when bars are turned to the left and the key is turned to the locked position. The key will not go to "locked" position without the bars being fully to the left either. Other than that the bars are free to turn key or no key.

Key in the ignition does not turn on the lights. The bike must be running for the headlights to come on. They stay on until the engine is shut off.

Hope that helps.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Re: 2007 R6 MC question: key, steering and light

If he had been riding, the bike stalled (so the lights are on at that point), and he did nothing but start walking his bike, do the lights stay on ? (manual says the lights stay on even if the bike stalls until the key is switched off.) Thanks so much for the information.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 07:51 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6
That is correct. If the bike had been running the lights then won't go off till the key is turned to off. At the point then it's till the battery drains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in