What's Considered Fast For Amature or Novice Racing... - Page 3 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success
Re: What's Considered Fast For Amature or Novice Racing...

I can see where a data logger could help, and right now since I don't currently have one, I'm seeing where I'm slow by analayzing past videos of me riding.

People carrying way more corner speed through a turn will seriously open ones eye. "Hey, if he can do it on stock R6, so can I!" Don't rush, and practice. Finding the best line(s) and making it stick lap after lap is key.

Data logging is great because there's tangible data. One can see where he/she is consistant/inconsistant, throttle appication, braking behaviors, lean angle, times through sections and other elements... It's another tool that can aid in progressing. I plan to use all possible avenues when the resources are available.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 11:23 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
I've never gotten my bike into 6th gear on any tracks I've ridden. I've only gotten my bike into 5th gear, and that was a stretch when I did (short shifting 4th at about 13K or so).

My understanding as of now about novice supersport (middleweight), I'll be up against people running 750s and 848s. During trackdays, I remember running side by side with an associate of mine on a 750 (he has since become much faster), and upon me exiting turn 12 at TB with him on my tail, he would be pulling hard by me by the time we got to the start/finish line.

Let's say I can match another racer corner for corner with speed and he's on a 750 or a 848, how do I stay competative down the straight? That's generally where I get walked on by bigger bikes.

Also, I go back in and study the videos I take while at the track. I try to identify where I'm weak, where I can brake less, trail more, and where I can carry more speed upon corner entry. By no means am I saying I'm super fast or great, but I'm trying to improve. I'm confident that the next time I run at Laguna Seca or TBolt, I should be able to run 42s or less and 34s or less respectively. This is just based on me looking at my own lines, braking, accelerating, and seeing where I can get faster in an attempt to get to somewhat novice competative lap times.

I need wayy more seat time. Smooth is fast, and fast is good. My methodology is use the speed I can carry in conjunction with as much real estate as I can to get there. I'll keep studying, practicing, and implementing until I get to a competative pace.

I'll see if some of the fast guys during practice weekends or trackdays wouldn't mine me to trying to follow their lines and keep up with their pace.
I really love how much effort you are putting into analyzing and then also correcting your own riding. Well done! Now, once you have identified some areas of what you need to work on, how do you decide what takes priority? (OH and have you ever tried to draw the track from memory alone and add your RP's?) How might that help your overall riding/learning a track?

"Leap and the net will appear!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:02 PM
My R6 eats me.

What class specifically?

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:10 PM
My R6 eats me.

for 600s at VIR, a 1:38 will definitely have you mixed up in the front group. The guy who won this year was in the 35s though
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misti View Post
I really love how much effort you are putting into analyzing and then also correcting your own riding. Well done! Now, once you have identified some areas of what you need to work on, how do you decide what takes priority? (OH and have you ever tried to draw the track from memory alone and add your RP's?) How might that help your overall riding/learning a track?
I really haven't prioritized everything in any specific order. My first few TDs of the season will consist of being smooth and carving out clean lines at whatever track I ride; basically, hitting every mark every lap, lap after lap - consistency. From there I'll see what I can improve on.

As far as drawing the tracks from memory, no. I have traced them out before (NJMP TB and LS) and have used them as a guide to identify the lines I need to follow for future reference.

Not to sound cocky, but I'm sure my skills sets and ability attributable to my profession will allow me to draw them from memory with ease. I have a cheat sheet I look at almost on a daily basis. Take a look below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1147.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	360024  

Last edited by Straight Success; 02-22-2019 at 04:21 AM.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:09 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
I really haven't prioritized everything in any specific order. My first few TDs of the season will consist of being smooth and carving out clean lines at whatever track I ride; basically, hitting every mark every lap, lap after lap - consistency. From there I'll see what I can improve on.

As far as drawing the tracks from memory, no. I have traced them out before (NJMP TB and LS) and have used them as a guide to identify the lines I need to follow for future reference.

Not to sound cocky, but I'm sure my skills sets and ability attributable to my profession will allow me to draw them from memory with ease. I have a cheat sheet I look at almost on a daily basis. Take a look below:
Consistency is a very good goal. From there, like you said you can see what you need to improve on and figure out priorities from there. One thing that Keith Code helped me with when I was racing was HOW to prioritize where to focus my efforts. When I was racing AMA I raced many tracks that I had never ridden on before. So once I found my RP's and had some consistent lap times we would look at the splits and compare them to the faster riders to see where I was losing the most time. We would then focus on that SECTION of the track in order to try and make up the most lost time.

As for drawing the track from memory, I'd suggest you give it a try! I'm sure you will have no problem with it and from there you can add your RP's and figure out what areas of the track seem to lack solid RP's compared to other areas. This is another helpful way to prioritize what to focus on and when.

Let me know how it goes when you try it! How else could drawing the track from memory help improve your riding? Why is it different then just looking at the track map or using one that is already printed?

"Leap and the net will appear!"

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:19 AM
My R6 eats me.

try some european autodroms. Brno in czech republic is amazing
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeethalerRacing View Post
for 600s at VIR, a 1:38 will definitely have you mixed up in the front group. The guy who won this year was in the 35s though
Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cezary Chrobot View Post
try some european autodroms. Brno in czech republic is amazing
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in