What's Considered Fast For Amature or Novice Racing... - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success
What's Considered Fast For Amature or Novice Racing...

At the following tracks, what's considered decent or fast lap times to make it on the podium in provisional novice/novice/expert racing in ASRA (CCS)/AFM/WERA for supersport/superstock bikes? Even moreso, what lap times would be considered as respectable besides completing the race in itself?

BTW, I've looked at the lap times on the websites of the winners from 2018, 2017, and 2016.

- NJMP (Thunderbolt)
- VIR
- Jennings
- Barber
- Road Atlanta
- Summit
- Thunderhill
- Sonoma
- Laguna Seca
- Chuckwalla
- Buttonwillow
- Big Willow

Thanks!

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Straight Success; 01-28-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 11:49 AM
I eat my R6

Re: What's Considered Fast For Amature or Novice Racing...

@
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

He knows a lot about racing at those tracks. My guess would be if not within 10 seconds of lap record, you aren’t really doing much.
TurboBlew likes this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 03:05 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Jennings <1:20
Barber <1:35 is moderately fast for club level but I have seen "novices" run 32s.
Road Atlanta about the same

Tracks out west... whatever Corey Call can run plus 1 second...lol

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

I see running <1:20s at Summit is somewhat fast. I see people who I've TD'ed with running those numbers, as well as #1 putting in 1:16s.

I also see <1:38s at VIR is probably respectable.

Those are both for Middleweight Supersport.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 06:38 PM
AFM #327

Bike: 16 R3, 17R6

<10s off lap record is a good benchmark to start off with.

I dont race 600's in AFM, but on my R3. As Novice, multiple race winner in 2017/2018, I was ~5s off lap record at Buttonwillow and 7s off at Thunderhill and Sonoma. Novice winners at Thunderhill and Sonoma were ~5s off lap record. It also really depends on the year and competition you have. Sometimes, 10s off can get you a win, sometimes, 5s off is still 3rd place in novice (if there's a gifted teenager racing novice)

AFM #327
2019 Sponsors:
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Thanks. It's still a lot more I have to track down. Looking at race lap times, who's consistant year after year, etc...

I seriously need some sprocket work now to get that additional acceleration drive out of the corners. It helps with dropping lap times.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 08:01 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

I'll cover the east coast tracks and what would be real competitive times for Novices, that on an average weekend would give you a real good chance for getting on the podium. Keep in mind that with both orgs, you have some sand baggers that are running expert times, but don't do enough rounds throughout the year to get bumped. So you may occasionally have a ringer novice out there, but it's not the norm.

- NJMP (Thunderbolt) - 37s-38s
- VIR - 36s-37s
- Barber - 36s-37s
- Road Atlanta - 38s-39s
- Summit - 20s
TurboBlew likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 08:03 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
Thanks. It's still a lot more I have to track down. Looking at race lap times, who's consistant year after year, etc...

I seriously need some sprocket work now to get that additional acceleration drive out of the corners. It helps with dropping lap times.
15/43 is all you need on a R6 for any east coast track except Daytona or Road Atlanta. RA, you'll want 15/42, but until you're running sub 40's, 15/43 will work as well.

Don't fall into the 'I need short gearing' trap. You don't. Fix your slow corner speed, don't band aid the bike setup because you can't carry the corner speed. The faster you get, the taller gearing you'll end up running.
TurboBlew likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Side View Post
15/43 is all you need on a R6 for any east coast track except Daytona or Road Atlanta. RA, you'll want 15/42, but until you're running sub 40's, 15/43 will work as well.

Don't fall into the 'I need short gearing' trap. You don't. Fix your slow corner speed, don't band aid the bike setup because you can't carry the corner speed. The faster you get, the taller gearing you'll end up running.
I've seen that advice given before.

The reason why I was thinking about changing the sprocket is because of my experience at Mid Ohio with turn 13 into 14, Laguna Seca coming out of turn 11 onto the straight - those types of turns in my opinion, you need drive as they're are vey slow speed turns. Also, I've noticed that on some tracks, I'm not even using the powerband's rev range effectively beause I can barely get the bike up to 150 mph on most of the mentioned tracks.

Wouldn't I want to have my top speed on any given track either revving to 14.5K in 5th or 6th gear while reaching my maximum speed on the track? Also, wouldn't I try to match my speed in any given gear to being in the middle of the power band during the most corners possible on the track to avoid excess shifting?

The examples:

16/45 (Stock) : 2.8125 with a top speed of 159.5 @ 14.5 RPMs in 6th.
15/42 : 2.8000 with a top speed of 164.8 @ 14.5 RPMs in 6th. (Taller than stock).
15/43 : 2.8667 with a top speed of 161.0 @ 14.5 RPMs in 6th.
15/45 : 3.0000 with a top speed of 153.8 @ 14.5 RPMs in 6th.
15/47 : 3.1333 with a top speed of 147.3 @ 14.5 RPMs in 6th.

My understanding is fast guys are just touching 160 mphs at RA on the straight before the braking after pit out (CW). However, a good portion of the other tracks, many people aren't reaching 160 (unless they're really fast). I see why you recommended 15/42 and 15/43. I guess it can be used on most tracks as an ideal in the middle guide.

Maybe I just need to get out there and see what it is first hand.

Thanks.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 02:09 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post

Wouldn't I want to have my top speed on any given track either revving to 14.5K in 5th or 6th gear while reaching my maximum speed on the track? Also, wouldn't I try to match my speed in any given gear to being in the middle of the power band during the most corners possible on the track to avoid excess shifting?

My understanding is fast guys are just touching 160 mphs at RA on the straight before the braking after pit out (CW). However, a good portion of the other tracks, many people aren't reaching 160 (unless they're really fast). I see why you recommended 15/42 and 15/43. I guess it can be used on most tracks as an ideal in the middle guide.

Maybe I just need to get out there and see what it is first hand.

Thanks.
Final drive at ~2.7 is about ideal. Shifting is part of it.
Yes turn 11 @ laguna is a 1st gear turn. Same with the corkscrew.
Not a whole lotta 1st gear turns in the SE.

160mph top speed? Um... you might be lucky to see 155 at Roebling IF you came out of turn 9 WFO at 120+mph. Road Atls back straight?? The tip of the expert field might hit 160...maybe. On the flip side you would need to be an absolute animal on the brakes. Plus RA has that dog leg so you are tipping in WFO.
High Side likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in