Race Strategy? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF
Race Strategy?

When you go to a track, what techniques do you focus on first? How do you decide what to work on first and where to put your attention and focus? How does that change from practice to when the flag drops and the race starts?

"Leap and the net will appear!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:16 AM

Bike: '14 R6
Re: Race Strategy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misti View Post
When you go to a track, what techniques do you focus on first? How do you decide what to work on first and where to put your attention and focus? How does that change from practice to when the flag drops and the race starts?
Line selection, braking points, throttle control.
Focus is on consistency and error correction.
Nothing changes when the flag drops. Unfortunately, I don't miraculously become faster when it's a race.

Do you have to leave so soon? I was just about to poison the tea.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbonez View Post
Line selection, braking points, throttle control.
Focus is on consistency and error correction.
Nothing changes when the flag drops. Unfortunately, I don't miraculously become faster when it's a race.
Do you ever draw the track? I find that helps tremendously with remembering points and solidifying on track reference points.

Most of us don't get miraculously faster when racing, you put in the work during practice and when the flag drops it's time to ride. Sometimes that can be enough to push you up to 100% if you were riding 95% in practice/qualifying which is why some people can go faster, but it mostly due to the time they put in before hand, on improving skills. My experience with it anyway
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:31 PM
My R6 eats me.

On practice I mostly put attention on lines and body position.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:32 PM
My R6 eats me.

On the race I just try be fast as possible and relax.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domen Lipnik View Post
On practice I mostly put attention on lines and body position.
Good things to focus on! What things do you work on when you put attention on Lines? Are you trying to be more consistent, use more of the track, practice different lines? What about BP? Trying to get lower, more stable with your lower body, hang off more? What is your focus there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domen Lipnik View Post
On the race I just try be fast as possible and relax.
Love this! Fast as possible while being relaxed- Perfect for racing

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:25 AM
AFM #327

Bike: 16 R3, 17R6

practice: get intel on competitors....follow them around to see their strengths/weaknesses. Work on my own speed/consistency (within 1.5s off my best times)

race: go fast, breathe, let the rest fall into place

AFM #327
2019 Sponsors:
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:31 AM
BSB Suporsport Racer #23

Bike: R6 2008 and R1 2016

Sergejs Kravcenko started in 2014 No Limits and 2015 continued, then ThundersportGB 2016, BSB Supersport under #23 wildcard entries 2017 and 2018.
I would say the most important target is not to rush. Being smooth is the key factory element being very fast on track, as when you are smooth you are making less mistakes and more concetrated on lines and piloting the bike. Once you start rushing like trying to follow the guy, who overtook you there starts lots of issues and problems and very likely will lead to a crash. For me personally I identify what sectors I'll be concentrating on and will ignore the general lap time. just going sector by sector and literally just practicing this particular corner or two. Then next session you choose the other one and so on, final two sessions I tend to just relax and ride as I love and enjoy, and lap times become consistent and you become faster and faster.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergejs Kravcenko View Post
Sergejs Kravcenko started in 2014 No Limits and 2015 continued, then ThundersportGB 2016, BSB Supersport under #23 wildcard entries 2017 and 2018.
I would say the most important target is not to rush. Being smooth is the key factory element being very fast on track, as when you are smooth you are making less mistakes and more concetrated on lines and piloting the bike. Once you start rushing like trying to follow the guy, who overtook you there starts lots of issues and problems and very likely will lead to a crash. For me personally I identify what sectors I'll be concentrating on and will ignore the general lap time. just going sector by sector and literally just practicing this particular corner or two. Then next session you choose the other one and so on, final two sessions I tend to just relax and ride as I love and enjoy, and lap times become consistent and you become faster and faster.
Love that you mention going sector by sector or even corner by corner when you are working on improving lap times. When I was racing AMA, Keith Code was coaching me and would make me draw the track from my own memory and then we would compare my map to my split time and every single time my worst section corresponded with the section on my map that had the fewest specific reference points. So I would then go out and focus on finding more RP's, solidifying my lines and then times would improve!

Smooth is fast and putting in specific and measurable focussed work before the race makes a huge huge difference

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in