Anyone hear of street tires being "coned"? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: r6 w/turbo R1 engine O_o
Anyone hear of street tires being "coned"?

"All street tires WILL be "coned" (see description below), no exceptions.

"Coned"
A cone will be placed out in the inner groove of the lane directing the vehicle to move over slightly and out of the groove. This will be done to any vehicle running street tires, radials, or has been deemed by the starting staff not fit to run in the groove. If a cone has been placed in the groove in front of you, please move over to the outside of said cone and proceed with your run. DO NOT attempt to get as close as possible to the cone and/or line up at an angle to attempt to enter the groove immediately after leaving the line. Any contact with the cone and/or lining up purposely at an angle will result in being pushed off of the line and sent to the back of staging, a second infraction will result in suspension from running for the day."

I am looking to practice at a different track and found this on their website. Does anyone know why they do this and if tracks actually enforce it? I've never seen this done before at the track I go to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 10:59 AM
"Old Slow Guy"

Bike: 05 GSXR750, 02 R6
Re: Anyone hear of street tires being "coned"?

I've only been to 3 tracks (1 back in 87, the other 2 recently), and never seen anything like that. I imagine the rule was written to keep treaded/grooved tires from messing up the sticky rubber in the groove, that the really high hp cars rely on so heavily to get a good safe launch. All my trips have been for test and tune days lately, so maybe that rule is just something only enforced during larger events, or also might just be a rule at that particular track??

John
2005 GSXR-750, 1986 FZX700S Fazer, wifes bike 02 R6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 03:05 PM
My R6 eats me.

Re: Anyone hear of street tires being "coned"?

Nope never heard of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in