Race Rail help - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
Just4GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 44
Re: Race Rail help

I’ll take better pictures soon.


To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MagicManXpress likes this.
Just4GP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 01:41 AM
R6 is Love. R6 is Life.
 
Trixim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 150
Bike: 2007 R6
Re: Race Rail help

well they are race rails... you aren't supposed to be stopping much.... they not only protect your bike, but in the event your over in a turn and you lose traction and lowside hard, the rail will somewhat protect your knees from being crushed...

but those look more like a stunt cage....
Just4GP likes this.

- It really does, rev your heart.
Trixim is offline  
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
Just4GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 44
Re: Race Rail help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixim View Post
well they are race rails... you aren't supposed to be stopping much.... they not only protect your bike, but in the event your over in a turn and you lose traction and lowside hard, the rail will somewhat protect your knees from being crushed...

but those look more like a stunt cage....


Hahaha. I try not to stop much either. I ride my R6 on the street in town often. I just have to have a wider stance at a stop.

Yeah that’s what I thought about the appearance too. I checked with the Impaktech website. It is definitely a race rail.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just4GP is offline  
 
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 02:30 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 66
Re: Race Rail help

i'll never understand the mentality some stunters have about buying hardware at home depot to replace on their bikes when its obvious that its specialized hardware.. 95% of people with "race rails" can barely wheelie and have them for looks but in reality its just a great way to lose a leg in a low side

'17 R6 - slowly becoming track only again
suzuka_joe is offline  
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 02:48 PM
I eat my R6
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 284
Re: Race Rail help

For being called race rails I sure haven’t seen many on race bikes lol.
suzuka_joe likes this.
El Duder is offline  
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
Just4GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 44
Re: Race Rail help

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuka_joe View Post
i'll never understand the mentality some stunters have about buying hardware at home depot to replace on their bikes when its obvious that its specialized hardware.. 95% of people with "race rails" can barely wheelie and have them for looks but in reality its just a great way to lose a leg in a low side


The threaded rod looks like any other threaded rod a person can find at a hardware store. The only specialized part would be the spacers. IMO I don’t see using parts from the Hardware store as an issue.

I can’t wheelie but, I got these so I can learn without worrying too much about damage


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just4GP is offline  
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 12:17 AM
R6 is Love. R6 is Life.
 
Trixim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 150
Bike: 2007 R6
Re: Race Rail help

So, i shall explain the difference between (*before you rage reply this is just from my own experience not the encyclopedia of motorcycle knowledge*):

True Race Rails - offer pretty solid engine protection during high speed washout but usually won't save the visual aspects of your bike, these are intended to be rather flush and long, and without any protruding edges for it to snag as it makes its transition sliding off the track. They are designed to take massive slide abuse. What happens is as the bike is "sliding" it needs to safely slide without snagging on the race edge line or other debris, since a snag at racetrack speeds will actually bend your engine mount/chassis totaling your bike rather than saving it.

Frame Sliders (little pegs) - those will save your engine and fairings from most damages during a low / medium speed lay down/crash... most... but your pegs are out of the question, those are probably going to break as designed. They also offer fantastic protection from stand still drops.

Stunt Cage - designed for low / medium speed drops, usually the largest of the "protective add-on's" and made to take repetitive abuse, with interchangeable parts. Some two piece cages offer rear standing spots for tricks. Also like Suzuka_jow mentioned, don't go down on these hard or they are going to most likely crumple and take your leg in the process.

- It really does, rev your heart.
Trixim is offline  
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
Just4GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 44
Re: Race Rail help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixim View Post
So, i shall explain the difference between (*before you rage reply this is just from my own experience not the encyclopedia of motorcycle knowledge*):



True Race Rails - offer pretty solid engine protection during high speed washout but usually won't save the visual aspects of your bike, these are intended to be rather flush and long, and without any protruding edges for it to snag as it makes its transition sliding off the track. They are designed to take massive slide abuse. What happens is as the bike is "sliding" it needs to safely slide without snagging on the race edge line or other debris, since a snag at racetrack speeds will actually bend your engine mount/chassis totaling your bike rather than saving it.



Frame Sliders (little pegs) - those will save your engine and fairings from most damages during a low / medium speed lay down/crash... most... but your pegs are out of the question, those are probably going to break as designed. They also offer fantastic protection from stand still drops.



Stunt Cage - designed for low / medium speed drops, usually the largest of the "protective add-on's" and made to take repetitive abuse, with interchangeable parts. Some two piece cages offer rear standing spots for tricks. Also like Suzuka_jow mentioned, don't go down on these hard or they are going to most likely crumple and take your leg in the process.


Hahaha...“rage reply” AND “not the encyclopedia of motorcycle knowledge”.....thanks for the info.

So would you consider these more of a stunt/crash cage?

From what you and Suzuka_jow said, my understanding is that It may not be the best protection for highway riding and possibly dangerous if the rails snag on something.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just4GP is offline  
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 02:01 AM
R6 is Love. R6 is Life.
 
Trixim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 150
Bike: 2007 R6
Re: Race Rail help

i have a small frame slider on each side connected to a breakaway bracket for street riding (this is for low speed stuff only). I am very hesitant to have anything like a big cage or rail.

At the track i would use only case covers.

I have heard many stories of people with posts, sliders or cages going down at a low/medium speed but the dang thing catches in a pothole and flips the bike violently into a tumble instead of an easy slide.....
Just4GP likes this.

- It really does, rev your heart.
Trixim is offline  
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 02:10 AM
R6 is Love. R6 is Life.
 
Trixim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 150
Bike: 2007 R6
Re: Race Rail help

this is more of a "true race rail." notice the length and shape. it does not offer fairing protection just the actual engine itself...




To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



i also found this ironic to come up int he forum today.....
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- It really does, rev your heart.

Last edited by Trixim; 10-11-2017 at 02:18 AM. Reason: adition
Trixim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reccomendations for race rail design? image0r Appearance and Exterior Mods 0 07-10-2011 04:08 PM
R6 06-09gold rearsets, 06/07 power commander III (pcIII) usb, 06-10 Race Rail sliders jat5944 Bike Parts For Sale 26 05-03-2011 08:52 PM
Wtb Race Rail's Mr.Devil Bike Parts For Sale 0 02-20-2011 06:50 PM
2009 Race Rail Help!!! jdgirard0 General Discussions 10 03-15-2010 07:01 AM
Race Rail w/ aluminum slider camcama Bike Parts For Sale 12 01-06-2010 10:30 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome