Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Carbon fiber add ons- Yay or Nay

4K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  brian_j 
#1 ·
Like the air intake snorkel covers, or the chain guard or the triple tree cover. That type of stuff

#3 ·
for what purpose? bling factor - yup.

as nice looking protection- sure, why not

wanting to lose weight - nah, you lose way more weight for way less money on all kinds of other things.

but if you like how its gunna look on YOUR ride, do it. Who cares what anyone else thinks? I hate the look of toce exhausts, but thse that have them seem to love them, and its you thats gotta look at your bike more than anyone else!

#7 ·
The *only* advantages of carbon fiber are strength to weight ratio and conditional durability. If you're replacing steel paneling on car, this can make a semi-significant impact on weight savings. For a motorcycle that already has light weight plastic paneling to begin with, the difference will be virtually undetectable. As far as durability I really don't know how the carbon fiber paneling fairs in comparison to the cheaply replaceable plastics. People often replace the fairings because they're scuffed, rather than busted.

For stuff like a chain guard, agreed. (throwing safety out the window of course) Downside of that approach for some other fairing pieces is the potential for increased drag coefficient.

#20 ·
I’d love to track down a quality carbon fiber rear fender and Chain guard.

#21 · (Edited)
. Looks like those parts are out there. I’m new to the R6 community (came from Ducati’s) so I’m unaware of what’s junk vs what’s good. Are there problems with the existing stuff? Or just something you want to see done differently? I do carbon stuff for fun, mostly smaller parts because they don’t take too much time, but am interested in selling some stuff if there’s a genuine demand. However, cheap labor from overseas limits what is worthwhile time wise.

A few things I’ve made over the years: quickie mirror blockoff from scrap material 2 days before a trackday, windscreen for my first Monster, seat protectors for a friend’s Ferrari, custom piece to correct the flaw in the Graves undertail, heel guards for my second Monster.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.