Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Chief's 08 R6 Thread

211K views 2K replies 141 participants last post by  G2dappa 
#1 · (Edited)
I picked up an 08 R6 off a fellow forum member Be4tnut over the weekend. Thanks to him for a smooth sale, and a great deal on an awesome bike!!! :toocool:

It's an 08 R6 in Liquid Silver with 1180 miles on it. This bike is literally like new. It has barely been ridden. The brake pads haven't even completely bedded into the rotors. There's still machining marks on them!

I'll be sure to keep this thread up to date with all the work I'll be doing to it coming up soon. I'll be starting by pulling the wheels off tonight for the new rubber.

List of mods:

• Full Leo Vince w/Carbon can, and it looks like the titanium header too! WEWT!
  • HID projectors with double halos. Cut off switch for headlights so only halos can be run. Separate Halo switch for the big halo. Someone on here did em. They look nice, and have the shutter that comes down for a clean cutoff line.
  • Bazzaz ZFI and Z-AFM (wideband 02)
  • Michelin Power Pures
  • Full Leo Vince exhaust
  • -1 AFAM front sprocket (525)
  • BMC Race Air Filter
  • Graves block off plates
  • Fender eliminator with manual flip up plate setup
  • Powder coated passenger pegs with led blinkers by TripageLED
  • Pazzo Shorty Levers
  • Driven D3 Grips
  • Puig DB Dark Smoke windscreen
  • Scorpio Sri900 Alarm system
  • Proton Flushies including the relay or resistor needed for slow blink
  • Third Eye Mod by Tripage
  • Battery tender Jr.
  • Front and rear redline stands

Pics
It's pretty awesome having 2 R6's in the garage!!
Right after the test ride, before we put her in the truck:

In the truck waiting for be4tnut to type up a bill of sale for just in case reasons.

Badass halos. Double halos and third light mod FTMFW!

Peep out the shrouds around the halos.

Seller's pics:
Header shot

HID's done so nicely!

Pazzo and driven for that fancy look!

Pretty slick FE

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
UPDATE: I went to Washington Cycle Works to get my suspension setup last weekend. The sag was only 1mm off up front, but the rebound was set crazy high letting the bike pogo on rebound. Some fine tuning, and the bike is feeling super stable and extra quick in the front end. Lovin it. They had an AFAM -1 front sprocket for me for the 525 pitch chain.. $27!

With the -1 front sprocket, you don't need to clutch the bike at 15 mph in 1st to not get chatter and damn near stalling. It's so much easier to launch. The bike accelerates SO much faster. I can't wait to go -1/+2 with a 520. I'll be SO happy. This bike is pretty balls out!

I pulled my rims off and brought em to WFO racing to get my new Power Pures I got for 239 at my door from TJ at RidersDiscount. WEWT. $15 a wheel for mounting and balancing and about 25-30 minute wait. I was psyched.

Here she is waiting for me to put the wheels back on.

None of the axles on the bike had any grease on them. I had a fresh tub of Silkolene synthetic race grease on hand. It's my fave.

Checked out the brake pads and they are so new with tons of life left. They aren't even dirty. LOL

I put the wheels back on using a little trick the guys at Washington showed me. Using a 2x4 eliminates the need for a second person!

I took the bike out for a spin after getting the sprocket on and scrubbed in the pures which were super slick for the first mile or two.I love the tall crown on the Pures. So steady in the turns, and the transition and turn in is just right!

Look at those sexy new tires

#3 · (Edited)
Winter Update

Gonna be starting up working on the bike. Below is the wish list I had in the first post. I am gonna start ordering everything up to make it happen. Gonna be updating the thread with lots of pics and info soon since I'm starting up on both bikes this week.

Basically my goal is to get this bike ready for track duty ASAP, but will use it as my street bike until I need to bring it to the track on a consistent basis. I'll be using my 02 for the first couple months of this track season.

WINTER MOD/GOODIES LIST

• MotyDesign 8 Cell battery with voltmeter
  • Carbon Fiber gauge cover by SKUR
  • Carbon Fiber gas cap covers by SKUR
  • Carbon fiber tank pads by SKUR
  • Carbon fiber triple cover by SKUR
  • GB Racing protection bundle (case cover protection, sliders, shark guard, etc..)
  • Fren Tubo Type 4's from AGG
  • Motul RB600 brake fluid
  • 520 Kit -1/+2 with the all black RK GXW chain and driven sprockets (black)
  • Speedodrd from AGG
  • PC rearsets to match passenger pegs along with kickstand, brake and shift lever, shift rod and hardware
  • Solo Seat cowl I have an FDB one, but will order a GYTR
  • Scott's Damper
  • Stomp Grip maybe
  • Black wheels (PC'd or whatever) OR
  • Marchesini forged aluminum wheels (black) or BST's
  • Cutting rear rotor down for wave pattern
  • Renthal clip ons from the GB
  • Bazazz quick shifter setup
  • 90 degree valve stems
  • New Vortex stands. Headlift and rear.
  • Fill tank and add stabil
  • Connect battery tender harness
  • Grunge brush for chain cleaning
  • New white GMX motion RS Taichi jacket
  • White/black A* GP Pro suit
  • Ohlins 30 mm cartridge kit
  • Ohlins TTX shock
  • Ferodo XRAC front pads
  • IRC Tire Warmers Evo
  • 2 Black Forum socks
  • Motion pro liquid filled tire pressure gauge

#4 · (Edited)
Current status:

I have been doin a ton to the bike, and I know people don't wanna read thru the whole thread cause it's gotten really long. I'm putting a few current pics and the up to date mod list in this post. Kinda like cliff notes. LMAO

Refer to the 1st post for the mods the bike came with. These are in addition to that.

New Gear:
NEXX XR1R Carbon fiber helmet (white/black/red)
New white GMX motion RS Taichi jacket
White/black A* GP Pro suit
White/Black Held Phantom gloves

Performance mods:
BrakeTech Axis Iron full floating rotors
Ferodo CP1 brake pads
HM Plus Standalone Quickshifter
Motion Pro Revolver throttle
Brembo RCS master cylinder
MotyDesign 8 Cell battery with built-in voltmeter
Fren Tubo Type 4's from AGG2001
Motul RB600 brake fluid
520 Kit -1/+1 with the all black RK GXW chain and driven/pitbull/AFAM sprockets (black)
Tech Specs C3 tank grips
Lightened rear rotor
Renthal clip-ons
Renthal race grips in medium/gray compound
Ohlins top mount damper
Ohlins 30 mm cartridge kit
Ohlins TTX shock
Oil (Motul 300v) and RBF600 brake fluid
Rizoma Rear sets
Rizoma black racing pegs
Leo Vince Corsa Titanium Race system
Carrozzeria Forged Aluminim Rims (Gold Anodized)
Unsprung weight reduction kit from probolt (titanium caliper, rotor, and sprocket hardware)
Bazzaz ZFI & AFM
BMC Race filter

Appearance mods:
Carbon Fiber gauge cover by SKUR
Carbon Fiber gas cap covers by SKUR
Carbon fiber tank pads by SKUR
Carbon fiber triple cover by SKUR
PC rearsets to match passenger pegs along with brake and shift lever, shift rod and hardware by 06R6'n
Solo Seat cowl - I have an FDB one, but will order a GYTR
Harris Ariete 90 degree black valve stems from slowboy
Rizoma CF heel guards
Rizoma Prototype mirrors
Twilltech carbon fiber front fender
Carbon fiber works front tank cover
Carbon fiber works inserts for below the clipons
Carbon fiber works rear hugger
Modified SKUR carbon fiber triple clamp cover to fit damper mount
Remove passenger pegs

Protection:
Woodcraft frame sliders
Driven rear axle blocks with delrin sliders
Armour Bodies race bodywork
Safety wired oil fill plug, dip stick, calipers, pinch bolts, oil filter

Electronic:
Speedodrd from AGG (-14.2% correction ratio)
Battery tender jr and extra harness

Tools/Equipment:
Motion pro liquid filled tire pressure gauge
New Vortex stands. Headlift and rear.
Craftsman C3 battery powered tire pump
IRC Tire Warmers Evo
MJ Moto tire warmers
Rotorhone
2 Black Forum socks
4 Forum Beer coozies

Current pics:

Pic as of today (3/23/2012):

#5 ·
so whats the plans for the 02 now.....but this bike looks really nice....any other plans for it?

#11 ·
This bike has got me SO excited!

Regarding the 02, I would really really like to keep it as a track bike, but in reality I'll probably have to pull all the cool parts off it, like your levers, and sell em, then sell the bike cheap. I really don't wanna be this far below my comfort zone with cash on-hand.

And I don't know if I wanna throw down the G i need to get the 02 ready for next season. It's gonna need a valve adjustment, tires, carb synch, brake pads, tune up, etc.. I'm kinda torn cause I really really wanna keep it. It handles so insane with the built suspension, and it's fast as hell. Probably just as fast as this 08 with the stock gears. And it brakes strong, etc..

I dunno.. I gotta play it by ear I guess.

#9 ·
i didnt read the top until after i was done typing

#14 ·
Yeah, I woulda bought this thing like over 2 months ago, but I was in the process of refinancing my house, so I couldn't pull the $$ outta the bank till after the process completed. I feel so lucky that noone bought it!

i didnt read the top until after i was done typing
:lmao I typed up a more detailed answer anyway.

awesome Chief!
Thanks!!! :cheers

I'm REALLY REALLY excited. It's been difficult sleeping!

#16 ·
As it sits, I'd cross my fingers for 3500, and I know I'd probably never get it. I think I can get about 1000-1500 for all the parts on it, and maybe like 2500 for the bike the way I got it. D&D pipe, stock suspension, no velocity stacks, but will include the 520 kit and SS lines on the bike.

#15 ·
that thing looks sweet! congrats on the purchase...

#19 ·
#22 ·
:lmao

It is pretty hot! I'll be there unless there's some kind of act of god keeping me off the highways!

how much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking?

and yeah damn..nice ass bike
Thanks bro!

I got it for 7k. Sure beats spending 10k for a brand new one, then 3k for all the goodies that this one came with!

#31 ·
HAHAAHA yeah man!!! I kept it pretty quiet so I didn't let myself down in case it didn't work out. I also didn't wanna stir up too much attention in case someone else beat me to it. Plus, this was like 60 days in the making. My refinance kept getting delayed and delayed and delayed.. And I'll totally be requesting a new signature in the future. That's the only thing about this new bike.. My old signature is so B-A, I dunno if a new one can compare!!!!

I test rode it for like a mile and a half up in MA at Be4tnut's place, and had a tough time keeping the front end planted. Then when I got back home, I took it for a ride down the road that goes along the lake. It was epic. No license plate at night, and serious twisties FTW!

I broke the ass-end loose 3 times in the turns cause the tires weren't scrubbed in. I'm talkin HUGE chix strips.. I was squidding it up in my hoodie cause everyone was nagging me to take it for a ride.. I lost my Newports and my cell phone during a 3rd gear WOT straight away.. My phone has awesome road rash on it now!

But yeah, it feels really awesome. It flicks really really fast, and it gets a lot more head shake than I'm used to.. But it's damn fast and sexy! I'm getting the suspension setup Saturday. Gonna register it tonight and get out for a couple hours to put some real miles on!

SUPER PSYCHED!! :toocool::toocool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.