Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Ride 2 live, live 2 ride
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i got a little problem with my bike ..... back in november 06 i crashed .... after the crash the bike started up fine but i only let it run for a few seconds .... found out i cracked the lower half of my engine case ..... fixed the bike myself ..... i got the bike back to normal ..... but found out that i have no spark in my plugs .... could it be that my plugs are bad?? .... dont knoe if my ign. coils are bad either .... i knoe its sumthing electrical .... cuz the bike does turn over but it jes has no spark .... wires?? cdi unit?? any suggestions would help out .... thanks

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Start with the cheap and simple things. If you cracked your block you probably shouldn't be using the same plugs anyway. The chance that all 4 of your plugs are giving no spark means that its probably not your plugs. Start by tracing the wires from your coils to make sure nothing got messed up. It should be a +12 volt straight from the fuse box or battery, and then ground wires running back into your ECU. Next, check your timing wheel. If you have one, put an oscilliscope on your coil pickup and see what signal it gives you when you turn it over. If no oscilliscope, put a voltmeter on it and test the resistance, should be between 250 and 370 Ohms. If that checks out ok test the coils individually, the resistance between the two pins in the connector should be 240-320 ohms, the resistance between the right pin(hold so the spark plug would be facing down), and where the spark plug goes should be 8k-11k Ohm resistance. Hey, look at this, I'm gonna steal pictures from another thread....
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9993
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9994

·
Ride 2 live, live 2 ride
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BISHILVR said:
Check all fuses. What side did you crash on?
the right side of the bike (when im sitting on it) ..... checked all the fuses .... fuses are gewd .... but there is one wire connector (brown) not connected to anything .... problem is that all the other connectors are connected and thats the only connector left .... i cant find the other end to it .... the wire colors are brown and yellow ..... might be for the coil?? the connector is located on the inside right side of the bike's frame next to the right most carburator .... imma check agen jes to make sure ....

·
Ride 2 live, live 2 ride
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BISHILVR said:
Make sure that the pickup coil is not unplugged.
wheres the connector located at for the pickup coil?? .... you think the connector thats not connected to anything for the pickup coil?? .... its been really bothering me lately .... hahha i hate having to deal wit the wires .....

·
Ride 2 live, live 2 ride
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agent4573 said:
pickcoil is on the right side of the bike, under the smaller cover towards the front of engine. It should have a grey wire and ablack wire.
its connected .... works and all ..... got a question .... if the stator cover has a little bit of oil in it will it still work?? but the weird thing was when i took it out it had no oil in there .... and then when i took it out agen i found some oil in there .... i guess it leaked from the crankshaft .... dunt knoe if thats okae .... jes wondering

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
oil is supposed to be there. That wire you said that you couldn't figure it out, is it brown with a yellow stripe or yellow with a brown stripe? The only brown wire with a white stripe on a single connector I can find in the wiring diagram goes from the starter curcuit cutoff relay to the clutch switch. If this was disconnected it wouldn't allow the bike to turnover though. How'd you go about checking the spark in the first place to determine you didn't have any?

·
Ride 2 live, live 2 ride
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agent4573 said:
oil is supposed to be there. That wire you said that you couldn't figure it out, is it brown with a yellow stripe or yellow with a brown stripe? The only brown wire with a white stripe on a single connector I can find in the wiring diagram goes from the starter curcuit cutoff relay to the clutch switch. If this was disconnected it wouldn't allow the bike to turnover though. How'd you go about checking the spark in the first place to determine you didn't have any?
turns out that it wasnt the ignition system .... its my timing .... thas why its not sparking ..... i knoe theres a way to do it witout taking it to the shop but wut are the parts that i need in order to do it?? and is it hard to reset the timing??

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Theres basically only 2 things that determine timing on these bikes.

1. Pickup Coil - You said its been checked and is plugged in and all
2. Timing Wheel - This is a 4+1 tooth wheel that you would see if you remove the cover that the pickup coil is in. It's driven by a chain that runs off your cam.

You can do a preliminary check on the pickup coil by measuring the resistance across it, should be 248-372 Ohms. If you happen to have access to one, put an oscilliscope on it and crank the bike over to make sure you're getting a good sign wave.

Here's the list of what to check out of the service manual:
1. main and ignition fuses - Never over look a fuse including the main 40 amp ones at the starter relay or the ones on the left side of the bike.

2. battery - over 12.8 volts when the bikes off

3. spark plugs - gap should be .6-.7mm

4. ignition spark gap - have to have a special tool for this, just move onto the next step if everything so far checks good

6. ignition coil resistance - coild resistance. Check primary and secondary resistances of all coils. Primary(between the two connector pins) should be .238 - .322 Ohms. Secondary(between the right hand pin and where the spark plug goes) should be 8.16-11.04 Kilo-Ohms.

7. pickup coil resistance - As stated above

8. main switch - Check between positive and ground when the switch is off, should have no continuity. Turn on, should have no resistance.

9. engine stop switch - Same as above

10. neutral switch - same as above

11. sidestand switch - same as above

12. starting circuit cutoff relay - See attachment

13. wiring (of the entire ignition system) - if everything checks out to this point, start chasing every wire on the bike.

You already said you had that one wire you can't figure out where it goes. Maybe you should start by tracing it back through the entire bike to see where it starts from. Might save you a bit of time. If this seems over your head or you don't feel like checking all this, you may have to take it somewhere.

Attachments

·
Ride 2 live, live 2 ride
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agent4573 said:
and just trying to keep this right, but if only your timing is off, the bike still sparks, so your above post is a little confusing. Does the bike have spark?
yeah it does .... checked everything and they all work .... ignition coils are good .... cdi unit is good .... wires, connectors, etc. are good

·
Ride 2 live, live 2 ride
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BISHILVR said:
What makes you think that you have a timing problem?
cuz when i was taking the clutch bolt off i accidentally turned the crankshaft gear jes a lil bit ... but im still not sure if its actually the timing or my ignition .... but today when we went to check the coils and such agen .... we found out that i have no current at all now ... so im a bit stumped ... the bikes actin all weird on me .... but if somehow i can get it right agen then ill do it .... i actually wanna learn everything about the bike so ill save more money by fixing it myself in the future ....

·
Ride 2 live, live 2 ride
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BISHILVR said:
Turning the crank gear when your clutch was apart has nothing to do with your timing.
sorry guys i took so long to reply back, im in the military and i had a pretty long training schedule ... but i did check out the bike .... wires are gewd ... fuses were replaced wit new ones .... coils are gewd ... new spark plugs installed ... only thing left is the cdi .... checked every wire coupler that concerns the ignition and they all read right ... so what's next?? im stumped about this .... any help or suggestions is appreciated ....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the same problem On my 2001 R6, except I have no fire on cylinder 1 and 4 and my ignition wire/plug is getting hot, pickup coil is good and ignition coils tested good. Long story short I smoked my R/R and CDI bcuz my R/R wasn't doing its job and I replaced them both now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts