Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased my 01 r6 last summer with 5700 miles. After purchasing it, I changed the oil, spark plugs (with proper gap), and coolant and ran it for a few months till winter. Ran smoothly. Only issue that I noticed was occasionally after the bike had been run and shut off and then started, it would hesitate a tiny bit on initial throttle from idle, but it wasn't bad enough to do anything about and only happened when the bike was warm.

Winter came, I put a little seafoam in the full tank of gas, lifted the tank and turned off the fuel and ran it till it died, choked it and tried to start until it would not start, put it on a tender, lifted it off the ground and called that winterized.

March came with some sunny weather and I pulled the bike out, ran a tank of gas through it with no issues. Seemed to be running good. Rain came again so the bike set for about 3 weeks. Well, back came the nice weather this week and I started riding. Rode 2 days (100ish miles) with a day of fueling it again with 92 octane from Shell, in the morning and that night after about 50 miles since the fueling, my bike started having issues.

I got home from work and when I went to leave on a ride, the bike was having issues starting. It would crank and crank and finally would start, but ran rough. I thought I would run it and see what would happen. I ran a few miles (which it seemed to run smooth) and shut it off, same problem again. I went ahead and continued with my ride, and after about 25 miles, I noticed the bike was starting to stutter a little, but then would clear up, and then back to stuttering. I continued to ride and it seemed to clear up. After about 70 miles, I shut it down to grab some food, went to start it up, and it would not start period.

After an hour of fiddeling, it finally started up, but ran horribly. On the freeway I couldn't keep it up to freeway speed and was continually cutting out with occasional bursts of smooth riding.

This sounds like a fuel issue to me, but I'm not sure where to begin. I put more fuel in the tank from a different gas station when it wouldn't start but it still runs horribly. Does this sound like a fuel filter? Fuel pump? Carb problem? Maybe too rich? or not enough fuel? Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!! I also have a video of it in the garage (this morning, the day after I was having issues) of it hesitating when I give it throttle and at one point dying.

Thanks for any help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCqmQxo52bs

spark plugs

·
Build, Go fast...Repeat!
16 Posts
Sometimes you can check for trash in fuel filter from running the tank empty. I've heard fuel cleaner and bb's shaken around inside the tank will remove a good bit of trash. Also take a long screwdriver and check the float bowls on the carbs by tapping them while the bike is idling rough to see if it will clear up since they get stuck after sitting. A good plug cleaning wouldn't hurt either and then you can inspect them at the same time to get a better idea of what's going on. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts