Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have recently experienced a new possible issue with my '01. As I start to accelerate going through 1st and 2nd gear I am feeling like the brakes were sticking on the bike. You can really notice it during deceleration - almost to the point where I dont need brakes during upshift while coming up to a stop sign/red light. I checked the brakes and they are not hanging up. The rear and front wheel spin at an acceptable level. It shows no signs of bogging down and accelerates very well. There are no other issues to note - other than excessive popping during deceleration. The only thing I have done recently is install a shortie exhaust but the bike did not show these symptoms until well over a month of having the exhaust on it.

Any idea what this could be? Would it have to do with my exhaust and lack of back pressure? carb issue? diaphram / vacuum issue? some main bearing is getting ready to seize up (I have noticed no new noises to indicate this)?

I am at a loss on this one and no its hard to diagnose in this forum but figured it was worth a shot.

·
she already got me broke
168 Posts
it sounds weird to me. i was saying check the front brake lines for air in the system but isnt your problem i think. btw i installed a new slip-on on my bike and let me tell you it was hard to start it up after clean and assembling carbs. some ppl say it would need a different jetting with a racing slip-on. maybe you are lacking of power, but it could be many things.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Could be two things bro. Check that the brake fluid level in the reservoir is at an OK level. If it gets too full this can happen and lock up the brakes on you.

Otherwise, I had my brakes dragging SUPER bad cause the pistons were straight up FILTHY on the calipers. Don't use brake cleaner to clean them as it can swell the seals and make it worse. I use brake fluid on a small wire brush and scrub em. Then spray cleaner on a rag to wipe em clean. The brake cleaner spray to the pistons will penetrate to the seals. No good.

You gotta really work to free the pistons and clean em so they can be turned and twisted in the caliper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts