Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Iceman Cometh...
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been toying with the idea of swapping out my engine for a newer one that is fuel injected. Is this possible? To make this bike fuel injected, does the engine have to be replaced or can a fuel injection system be fitted on to the existent carburated engine? If this sounds like a newbie question, it's because it is. Don't know much in this dept but I do know that I WANT a fuel injected engine so I can install a power commander on it as opposed to putting in and subsequently fine tuning a stage 1 jet kit to the carbs which from what I understand, is a real PITA.

Richie

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
well the work involved to make your carbed bike to fi.. is gonna be A LOT.

may as well sell the 02 and buy an FI bike. its rally not gonna be worth it to swap out the 02. 03+ look way sicker anyways :sing

edit may i ask why you MUST have a fuel management system? you racing/tracking it i hope..?

·
Hakuna Matata, btches!
1,491 Posts
may as well sell the 02 and buy an FI bike. its rally not gonna be worth it to swap out the 02. 03+ look way sicker anyways
Thats what i ended up doing

·
The Iceman Cometh...
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the work involved to make your carbed bike to fi.. is gonna be A LOT.

may as well sell the 02 and buy an FI bike. its rally not gonna be worth it to swap out the 02. 03+ look way sicker anyways :sing

edit may i ask why you MUST have a fuel management system? you racing/tracking it i hope..?
The reason I'd like a fuel management system installed is because I upgraded my exhaust with a carbon two brothers M5 exhaust and a K&N racing air filter. The extra air going thru the system will need to be compensated for with extra fuel delivery and I also don't wanna lean the engine to the point of failure. Looks like I'll have to go with the stage 1 jet kit on the carbs.

Thanks for the input fellas!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
You should do the engine swap so I can buy your motor! :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of swapping out my engine for a newer one that is fuel injected. Is this possible? To make this bike fuel injected, does the engine have to be replaced or can a fuel injection system be fitted on to the existent carburated engine? If this sounds like a newbie question, it's because it is. Don't know much in this dept but I do know that I WANT a fuel injected engine so I can install a power commander on it as opposed to putting in and subsequently fine tuning a stage 1 jet kit to the carbs which from what I understand, is a real PITA.

Richie
No harm looking at a used EFI fed FZ6 (for about $800) has I've had both, & the motors look the same mount patterns?. Who knows? If it bolt in fits? A used EFI fed FZ6 full ecu & harness can be picked up for about $150, where air box clearance & linkages may need brain storms, where ya may just get yourself a frankin RFZ6 bike? Now if ya slapped that together? You'll make news! & if it dont make it past the look & check part, it only cost ya the time & gas to cross that thought off the list!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts