Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First! New to forum/riding love it!

Bought 2 R6 Rockets over the weekend I got the 2002 somehow while my brother got the 03 so I have a few questions about the carb vs fuel injected issue.

1. How much difference does fuel injected vs Carb make power wise?

2. Could cleaning the Carburetor revive/increase HP?

3. Ive read about fuel management/jet Upgrades do they apply to the 2002?

4. How hard is it to clean the Carb are there guides/videos?

5. What should my first few upgrades be on a 02 stock to get power?

I would greatly appreciate any kind of help/direction to any one of these questions and appreciate your time and help very much :)

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
First! New to forum/riding love it!

Bought 2 R6 Rockets over the weekend I got the 2002 somehow while my brother got the 03 so I have a few questions about the carb vs fuel injected issue.

1. How much difference does fuel injected vs Carb make power wise?

2. Could cleaning the Carburetor revive/increase HP?

3. Ive read about fuel management/jet Upgrades do they apply to the 2002?

4. How hard is it to clean the Carb are there guides/videos?

5. What should my first few upgrades be on a 02 stock to get power?

I would greatly appreciate any kind of help/direction to any one of these questions and appreciate your time and help very much :)
1) 03 is supposed to make a few more HP than 02 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YZF-R6

2) It's quite possible. If your jets are clogged they might be restricting fuel flow.

3) You can rejet anything. The hard part is knowing what to rejet it to. It's mostly dependant on air temperature, altitude.

4) It's not hard, but you need to make sure you're careful about putting everything back where it came from. Even the number of turns for each jet is important. Start by reading this: http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r6-how-guides/92087-how-overhaul-clean-carburetors.html

5) Since it's an 02, I'd start by cleaning the air filter. That's probably the only cheap thing you can do. More air+fuel in and more exhaust gases out = more power. You could change the sprockets, but that only improves acceleration. You're not getting more horsepower, you're just trading gas mileage and top speed for more acceleration and faster shifts.

Is yours significantly less powerful than his? What percentage would you say yours has on his?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts