Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i know this is going to sound stupid. But the wife was looking at the bike one day, and pointed to this knob thing that sits close to the oil fill cap.(its up more and right under the plastics , and does something with the carbs) well she turned the knob. basically, bike idles really weird and if i go WOT it revs up but has no power and lots or gurgle the whole way up. now ive been messing with it as a i ride, and sometimes i can get the bike to idle better and actually go under wot but it still isnt close to being right.

the idle issues is i can mess with the knob to get the bike to normal rev but when you rev it, it will then holds revs @ 2k + and will stay that high unless you use the transmission to put some load on the bike and drop the revs into normal idle zone

What did my wife mess with, and how do i fix it. I tryed looking at the owners manual. but all carb info says take the bike to a yamaha dealer

the knob can turn left and right, and from what ive been messing with it CC leans the bike out and clockwise richens it up.

I really dont want to hardcore dick with it for fear of screwing the bike up. Ive been searching for what it is im tuning and how to get the bike back "in tune"

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
First Gen FTW
11,444 Posts
She messed with your idle mixture knob....It will increase and decrease your idle by twisting it.

When the bike is idling adjust it to around 1k.

But dont unscrew it tooo much....i'm pretty sure it will come out

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i can get it to 1k just fine. But the bike will not produce power under full throttle. It just gurgles and pops. Is it because its getting cold outside? the idle issues arent horrible it will idle its just i cant give more than 30% throttle because it just sputters through the revs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think the bike is jetted by the previous owner, and i noticed the issues when the air temp dropped significantly. When from summer air to almost winter air in a few short weeks. could this be causing an issue as well. I was able to get the bike to pull through a WoT up to about 8k just fine(power was there no hiccups) past that though it gurgles. i was able to do this by messing with the idle adjuster.... So should i just keep messing with the idle adjuster until i can get acceptable WoT results?

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
The idle adjustment is NOT an idle mixture screw.

It is an idle adjustment screw only. It raises the idle of the bike. It doesn't change any fuel mixture settings.

What your wife did shouldn't have caused any problems. The only thing I could imagine that would happen from messing with it could be that you set it so low that a spark plug got fouled from super low idle and unburned fuel or something random like that.

At 8k, the slides are trying to lift all the way up in the carbs. If you noticed the bike starting to run rough when it got cold out, you should probably retune the carbs.

Mine ran perfect all summer in 90+ degree weather.. Then the cold came and it started popping and hesitating, etc.. This is because it runs lean in the cold. I went another half turn out on my pilot screws and one clip down on the needles and the bike is smoother than ever.

Keep us posted on what you find, or what the symptoms are now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gotcha. Well how do i adjust the carbs. Im a mechnical person, when it comes to cars but never fuxxed with something carbd. You dont have to tell me how just point me in the right direction. But yeah it seems like no matter how i mess with the idle its always popping. So it sounds like carbs need to be adjusted for sure. I dont need some complicated yamaha repair manual adjustment, a good DYI post would be awesome. But thanks for the responses. How i do miss my WOT =[

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Note The idle isnt an issue now. and part throttle is just fine, its only 50% throttle and up that causes really bad hesitation and popping and gurgling. So im looking into a good DIY carb tuner for the bike. Like i said before if anybody knows a good post please point me in the right direction

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Note The idle isnt an issue now. and part throttle is just fine, its only 50% throttle and up that causes really bad hesitation and popping and gurgling. So im looking into a good DIY carb tuner for the bike. Like i said before if anybody knows a good post please point me in the right direction
The link in my signature to my 02 thread has screen shots and information on how to clean em and adjust the pilot screws, needles, etc.. But if your ok under 50% throttle, the pilots jets aren't goin to be the problem.

Since it is only at 50% throttle and up that hints towards the needles, and/or something vacuum related. Slides are lifted by the vacuum.. There's ways to look for vacuum leaks too. You can spray starting fluid at the boots and whatnot and see if the idle runs up, etc..

Also, how strong is the battery? When my stator died, and was riding, WOT was not happening.. Backfiring, popping, etc occurred.

Shit man, it could even be the throttle position sensor too. If you mess with the idle drastically, sometimes that gets all jacked up too. The yamaha service manual outlines how to check it via the tachometer. It's pretty slick

If you keep posting more info we can try and narrow it down better. It's kinda tough sometimes when the symptoms could be caused by multiple things, and without being in person the little sounds and nuances that clue us in one direction aren't there to help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its actually more like 25-30% and up. I rode again today because it was nice... Any real throttle and its all bubbly. Messing with the idle messes with how it reacts at WoT but it doesnt fix it. Sometimes when i jack with it i can get a good clean pull WoT (prolly up to 8k), but then a second or 2 up the road its back to bubbling the whole way up the revs. Mind you I wont rev pass around 8k or so just because its missing. The biggest thing that has changed on the bike is drastically cooler denser air. I dont think the idle was messed with that much, but ill start on a few things and if it points to plugs(something similar ill head down that road. But ill take a look at your sig for some tuning. I got the owners manual so ill check on the TPS as well. Im almost positive the bike is at least stage 1 jetted, and it makes sense to me that even on stock carbs a slight change would need to be made for the amb air temp(denser cooler air vs warmer thinner air)

Once again thanks for the response

1 - 9 of 9 Posts