Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Buddy of mine picked up an 02 r6.

everything on the bike was good and working fine. After it sat for about a week the battery was dead. he jump-started it off of his civic ( i wasnt there for this assuming he did it correctly though)

After he jump started it the tachometer no longer works. it just sits at 0 at all times. However, the backlight works, the temp gauge in there works etc;

I am normally good at figuring stuff out on bikes...but no clue what he did or what could be wrong.

help would be appreciated so I can pass it on to him

·
She wants me to twist it!
882 Posts
No idea. I would try flipping all the switches. disconnect and reconnect the battery. I had a problem once where when I flipped to High beams all my lights cut off. It happened once or twice but thankfully hasnt surfaced again...yet.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No idea. I would try flipping all the switches. disconnect and reconnect the battery. I had a problem once where when I flipped to High beams all my lights cut off. It happened once or twice but thankfully hasnt surfaced again...yet.
cool man appreciate the response. I will relay that to him...

also on the 02 is the only fuse box under the seat or is there a second one in the fairings?

·
882 Posts
Under the seat is all I remember. have not pulled it apart in a while but Im pretty sure thats it.

If he jumped it he might have blown a fuse. Check to see if any wires are loose or look cut. Since it the tack thats not working I would pull up the manual. (Pretty sure you can find it on this forum somewhere) And follow the wires from the sensor of the tack see if you cant locate a problem their.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Under the seat is all I remember. have not pulled it apart in a while but Im pretty sure thats it.

If he jumped it he might have blown a fuse. Check to see if any wires are loose or look cut. Since it the tack thats not working I would pull up the manual. (Pretty sure you can find it on this forum somewhere) And follow the wires from the sensor of the tack see if you cant locate a problem their.
we just took the bike apart...checked all the fuses (under the seat)
we then googled and searched and some people said there was a 2nd fuse box under the front left fairing. not the case on this bike, however it appears as if someone did some wiring on their own on this bike...

is their any relays for the tachometer? As i mentioned before the entire gauge cluster lights up, it tracks milage, speed, temp, etc;

only problem is the tach sits flat at 0.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
check the speed sensor connections, you said someone did their own wiring, maby loose wire or cut?
we tryed to follow the wiring the best we could, i checked all of the connectors and they seemed to be connected firmly.

It is possible he blew part of the gauge cluster out because he said he first noticed the tachometer not working after he jumpstarted the bike from a car.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
we tryed to follow the wiring the best we could, i checked all of the connectors and they seemed to be connected firmly.

It is possible he blew part of the gauge cluster out because he said he first noticed the tachometer not working after he jumpstarted the bike from a car.
i highly doubt that would have happened, a fuse would have def. blown.

Im really not 100% sure how the tachometer gets its reading on the 6, but i believe it is voltage base by the output of the magneto, so it may be a sensor issue.

I would think its a mechanical issue with the actual needle in the tach though, does it go to redline and back when you turn key to 'on' ? If not i would try taking the tach apart and seeing if the needle is obstructed somehow.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i highly doubt that would have happened, a fuse would have def. blown.

Im really not 100% sure how the tachometer gets its reading on the 6, but i believe it is voltage base by the output of the magneto, so it may be a sensor issue.

I would think its a mechanical issue with the actual needle in the tach though, does it go to redline and back when you turn key to 'on' ? If not i would try taking the tach apart and seeing if the needle is obstructed somehow.
thats exactly how it gets the reading the older older ones were mechanical

as far as in the tach yes it is mechanical...

it does not sweep when u turn the key it does NADDAAA

ive read a few places that the gauge clusters can go somewhere i saw some dudes on his 4ht already.

I think what happened is, jump-started the bike (car was running) it didnt blow a fuse cause of the ghetto ass wiring and blew part of the cluster out.

IMO id jsut ride it as is... he paid 3k for it its an 02 r6 with 15k miles... two bros slip on, fresh pilot powers

bike runs rides great ...you dont really need a tach to ride you can hear it (well i can anyway)

·
882 Posts
The 02 tack doesnt do the sweep when you turn the key. Whatever sensor controls the tack I would start their. I doubt anything inside the tack went bad or blew. When you say the previous owner did his own wiring are you talking about just turn signals or other things. For some reason Ive got a jumper for my fuel pump. Dont know why I do but it doesnt run without it so F-It. but its something someone put on before I bought it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 02 tack doesnt do the sweep when you turn the key. Whatever sensor controls the tack I would start their. I doubt anything inside the tack went bad or blew. When you say the previous owner did his own wiring are you talking about just turn signals or other things. For some reason Ive got a jumper for my fuel pump. Dont know why I do but it doesnt run without it so F-It. but its something someone put on before I bought it.
no not just the turn signals...everything including the main harness it looks like...

in fact the turn signals are not hooked up and when you connect them they dont work it like shorts out the rears as well..wen u disconnect them they work..

i mean its also not my bike so im not strippin this thing down and spending 8 hrs trying to diagnose and fix it...im just tryin to help a friend out

the only thing that throws him off is it happened immediately after he jump started it.

·
882 Posts
Yeah sorry bud. I cant help ya ( or him ). I would tell him to try what I suggested and other than that...good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts