Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know factually whether or not the cylinder head, cams, etc have to come off a 2003-2005 R6 motor just to split the case and work on the shift drum/shift forks? It doesn't look like it should need to from what I'm seeing, however the Haynes says it does - but provides no reason why. The manual also seems to indicate so. However, they both also seem to show that as part of the procedure assuming you're inspecting or servicing the timing chain and top end. I've got a transmission issue and really don't want to pull the top end if I can avoid it.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Definitely do not have to disassemble the top end. I've had transmissions out of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gens and never had to take the top end apart. On a side note, I have an '04 that I'm parting out due to an engine issue so let me know what you need and I can check what I have. Prices starting out at just above free :fact

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely do not have to disassemble the top end. I've had transmissions out of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gens and never had to take the top end apart. On a side note, I have an '04 that I'm parting out due to an engine issue so let me know what you need and I can check what I have. Prices starting out at just above free :fact

Thanks. I keep hearing that the top end has to come in for and don’t understand why. Mine is my spare bike. It stopped shifting a few weeks ago but the guy riding it was able to get it back to the pits. Hoping it’s just shift forks or something minor. It’s a great little bike and is really well setup I’ll let you know what I need.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I keep hearing that the top end has to come in for and don’t understand why. Mine is my spare bike. It stopped shifting a few weeks ago but the guy riding it was able to get it back to the pits. Hoping it’s just shift forks or something minor. It’s a great little bike and is really well setup I’ll let you know what I need.

Meant kept hearing top end has to come off first.....

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,810 Posts
I wouldnt think so. There are about 25-30 bolts on the engine case to split it.
You cant get the clutch basket out without popping the bottom end off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts