Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my brake pads (front+rear) about two weeks ago. Have put plenty of miles on them now, and im still noticing a LOT of drag from the front calipers. The rear sounds + feels normal to me, but the front is getting a lot of grip.
I put on EBC HH pads, does it sound like i just need to clean the pistons/calipers out and flush the system, or is it normal for new pads to drag so much u hear the whoosh sound very loud when pushing the bike.
Ive never cleaned the calipers/pistons before but i did flush the fluid about two months ago.

any suggestions appreciated :D

·
I Race my R6
291 Posts
What your describing is normal. I've yet to see a bike with no resistance on the front brakes with out any race mods to eliminate drag. The '03 R6 came with non-HH pads which aren't as grippy as the HH pads are, so you were likely not noticing much. The HH pads are a performance upgrade over your stock pads. They are more "grippy" an offer a shorter braking distance over the stockers everything being equal. This is considered a race upgrade. Better performance, more wear.

There's an outside chance of a sticky piston but you can tell this by uneven pad wear (one side very low the other almost new)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What your describing is normal. I've yet to see a bike with no resistance on the front brakes with out any race mods to eliminate drag. The '03 R6 came with non-HH pads which aren't as grippy as the HH pads are, so you were likely not noticing much. The HH pads are a performance upgrade over your stock pads. They are more "grippy" an offer a shorter braking distance over the stockers everything being equal. This is considered a race upgrade. Better performance, more wear.

There's an outside chance of a sticky piston but you can tell this by uneven pad wear (one side very low the other almost new)
yea thats the same answer im getting from everyone. thanks i can put my mind at ease, i guess a combo of not riding for a week and new pads just made it seem like it was dragging a bit too much.

·
Stanly the Manly
935 Posts
You can try to clean the pistons with brake cleaner and a brush, then lube them as much as you can. That may help a bit. I also have EBC HHs and they drag. I recently changed the disks and lines and the dragging got much worse. I took the calipers out, removed the pistons and applied brake grease to the pistons and springs. It helped but isnt perfect and was a huge pain in the butt, so only remove the pistons as a last resort.

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
Did you inspect the calipers good? Mine had been doing that for a while and I though "ehh it's just normal, they're old." When I recently took them off I got to looking good and noticed the oring on the piston was tore and not seated right. I rebuilt the calipers and they don't hang near as much. Only reason i started to really look into it was because of the difference I felt between mine and anothers bike when pushing it around. Maybe before you rip anything apart compare to a buddies bike and see if theirs is dragging anything like yours. Could be normal, could be some junked up calipers that need a good cleaning or ones needing a rebuild.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
On my 05 I had the same symptoms. I had read about removing the spring plate from the calipers to allow the pads to float freely. I removed them and sure enough the wheel spun much easier. May be worth a shot. The pads will float and you can hear them clinking a little more, but there is no loss in performance. It allows the pads to retract further due to lack of pressure on them.

This is a shot of the pads and you can see the plate in the upper right.

This is another shot showing the plate between the pads.

This is what it would look like when put together. As you can see it all goes together the same, just without the plate.

I have been running like that for a year now and I cannot tell a difference other than my wheel spins freely without the spring plates. Try that and see how you like it. It only take a few minutes a side to do.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i installed ebc hh pads on my bike and now I have a squeaking issue. thoughts?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine kept squeaking, but loosened up a bit.
I removed my rotors and scraped them down real well with a scotch brite pad and no-more squeaking.
They also sell kits to re-hone used rotors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.