Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night several of us were out and about. I'm working on getting the file from the camera owner, but for the time being here is what happened:
'03 Cobra
- Whipple supercharger
- "Supporting" mods
- 570whp

'08 R6
- Stock
- My first race, so I need to refine some minor things for next time haha

When I got next to him I was waiting for the honks. It was really hard to hear due to wind noise. I thought I heard one honk, but after seeing the video I guess it was passenger saying "one". Anyways, the race started with the Cobra going on three and I didn't even hear anything haha. I pulled him back a little and then he started to gain some ground once we got some speed. All in all, it was a great race I thought and I'd say it's a well matched one too. What's kind of funny is that this guy is one of the only people I have ever raced...going back to like 2004.

If anyone is curious, my shift light is set to come on at 15k rpms. I started at about 12k. I was told afterward that it was a 60 to around 140 run.
Click here for video

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can any r6 beat it straight away? 03-05, 06+
Yes. Any R6 could beat a stock Cobra. As that one sits in the video, if we started at the same time then I may have been able to gain enough ground (maybe 1 to 1.5 bike lengths) to hold him off until it was over.

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem with that is - how people have stock Cobras
^^^details details details hahaha. I think you left out a word, but I got what you're saying.

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Most cars like that will win on the freeway when the race starts at speed. Bikes have the advantage from a dead stop so you would have won, but you lost your best advantage by being on the free way first. Usually a bikes advantage off the line is enough to carry you through even a longer race.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
A couple weeks ago I went to the drags to race my friends Viper. He has no power adders (blower, nitrous), just bolt on's and maybe a cam job. Anywho, I figured I would be able to take it. Boy was I wrong. He ended up running an 11.2 on street tires at 3200ft elevation. Sure, it was close, but he still beat me.

That's good enough to beat prolly 95% of most stock 600's. I imagine he'd absolutely rape me on the hwy.

·
T-1 is my Hero
0 Posts
Most cars like that will win on the freeway when the race starts at speed. Bikes have the advantage from a dead stop so you would have won, but you lost your best advantage by being on the free way first. Usually a bikes advantage off the line is enough to carry you through even a longer race.
you guys are wrong, You are way under estimating your bikes.... I know first hand I slayed a cobra recently on the freeway and heres my proof.....

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/03-Cobra-vs-R6_154950.htm

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

·
T-1 is my Hero
0 Posts
Did you catch the part about the Cobra not being stock? It doesnt take much to open these cars up. Anything with 500rwhp+ is going to beat an r6 in just about any straight line race.
His descripition isnt the greatist, Im at work so I cant see the video. I know what those cars are capable of, my friend (with the cobra) just got a programer for it and picked up 50 horses.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
yeah i've always heard 500 hp in a car is equal to a 600
hey exodus i like one of the comments on your streetfire vid
and i quote

"Nice car. Used Skylines are a good deal too. Mine will pull bikes."

bwhahahahaha

·
Registered
205 Posts
There is a supercharged C5 'Vette here that I hard a HARD time getting by on my modded R1(full Ti-Force exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC filter, and dyno tuned PC). Fast ****ing car.

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Definitely. It was only in the high 40's that night so going from a stop would have been a useless race. He had zero traction until he got to 3rd gear and 60mph+. I didn't really feel like getting knocked over like a bowling pin when his back end swung out haha

Did you catch the part about the Cobra not being stock? It doesnt take much to open these cars up. Anything with 500rwhp+ is going to beat an r6 in just about any straight line race.
Yea those are really basic mods in the above link. That Cobra is definitely not going to be anywhere near 500whp. It's probably around 400-450. 500-600 is where it starts to get interesting haha.

·
T-1 is my Hero
0 Posts
yeah i've always heard 500 hp in a car is equal to a 600
hey exodus i like one of the comments on your streetfire vid
and i quote

"Nice car. Used Skylines are a good deal too. Mine will pull bikes."

bwhahahahaha
Yeah i saw that and laughed, I watched someof that guys videos and his skyline seems pretty jank. I wasnt that impressed. Its one just of those cars like a Supra that should only be scary fast

Definitely. It was only in the high 40's that night so going from a stop would have been a useless race. He had zero traction until he got to 3rd gear and 60mph+. I didn't really feel like getting knocked over like a bowling pin when his back end swung out haha

Yea those are really basic mods in the above link. That Cobra is definitely not going to be anywhere near 500whp. It's probably around 400-450. 500-600 is where it starts to get interesting haha.
The car in my video just dynoed at 405hp, he just got a power programer for it and a different pully for the supercharger so he should be in the 465-470 range now..... tune in for race #2 sometime soon:lmao

1 - 16 of 16 Posts