Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased an 03 R6 in fair condition. Runs great but its getting time to change out the rear tire. No matter how hard I try, I can NOT for the life of me loosen up the axle nut. I think the previous owner put it on backwards because it is on the left side of the bike (looking from the rear) when in almost all pictures ive seen it is on the exhaust side of the bike.

Do I loosen the chain tensioner nuts first? or should they loosen either way? Besides that, any tips or tricks to get this nut loosened up?

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Rear axle nut? And it's on the left side?

Have you tried a breaker bar?

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
So I purchased an 03 R6 in fair condition. Runs great but its getting time to change out the rear tire. No matter how hard I try, I can NOT for the life of me loosen up the axle nut. I think the previous owner put it on backwards because it is on the left side of the bike (looking from the rear) when in almost all pictures ive seen it is on the exhaust side of the bike.

Do I loosen the chain tensioner nuts first? or should they loosen either way? Besides that, any tips or tricks to get this nut loosened up?
Nope, don't do the chain tensioner nuts until you've loosened the Axel. The Axel won't move until its loose.

Try a longer wrench/ratchet/breaker bar. If its rusted you can spray some wd40 and let it sit for a while.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
449 Posts
The side the nut is on doesn't matter. Some people switch it around to get better access to it, and to get it away from the exhaust. You just need to use some brute force.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Lefty loosey, righty tighty...

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
Do you think it's just way over torqued? Or does it appear corroded or damaged in any other way?

Spray some PB Blaster on it in the evening. Let it soak over night. Spray some more on in the morning. Let it soak while you are at work. Tap the nut with a hammer. If there was corrosion creating a mechanical bond, the PB Blaster will dissolve it and the hammer blows will help loosen that bond.

Use the longest breaker bar you have. Apply the most torque you possible can as swiftly as possible to break it loose. In other words, don't slowly push harder and harder on the breaker bar. Push on it as hard as you can as fast as you can one time.

That usually gets stuck fasteners off for me.

Another method you can try: Apply heat to the nut with a torch. If permanent threadlocker was used, this will melt it. The heat will also expand the nut, helping to break the bond. This requires a lot of heat, it's not much fun, and you can potentially damage other things with the heat (like rubber seals/dust covers). I try to avoid it and use the first method above.

Of course, you could also just try and impact wrench if you can get a hold of one.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Just to add you do not have to touch the adjusters. When u pull the axle out let the tire down then roll it forward and you can lift the chain out of the way. Then roll the tire back out of the swingarm while holding the chain out of the way.

Reverse this to install the tire. And you'll want to pry the brake pads apart to let the rotor between them. It makes life a lot easier installing the tire.

Don't forget to pump the rear brake lever to push the pads back tight to the rotor.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
The reason folks put the axle nut on the chain side it because its easier to reinstall the wheel. Its a pretty tight fit so going through the brake side make it that much easier. An impact gun will also get the nut off (ride it to a tire shop)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts