Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been alot of talk about engines cutting out lately on the 03+ bikes. I've seen it posted on other boards as well. I recieved a request via PM to make this a sticky and shall do so in the effort that everyone can, as a group, use our collective heads to try and solve this problem.....

here is the PM.......

yo PENFOLD. i'v noticed a serious problem with 03R6 bikes where the engine cuts out, there seems to be hundreds of Rsixers with the problem. i'm am contacting you and other R6 websites, to try to bring this problem to light and try to fix it. I have placed a list of questions at this URL.

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=168096#post168096

please could you setup a STICKY on your site so people with this problem can answer the questions, so we can find the problem before someone gets hurt.

AS i said i'v also contacted other R6 websites because its gonna take all Rsixers working together to work it out.

I DO NOT KNOW ALL OF THE DIFFERENT R6 WEBSITES , I ONLY KNOW A FEW, SO PLEASE PASS ON THESE DETAILS TO OTHER R6 SITES MODERATORS PLEASE.

My 2 cents on reading thru the R6MN thread is that the Power Commander seems to be involved in just about every instance. What someone needs to do is to is disconnect their PC3 and see if that affects anything. might make it run a little ruff with the additional mods that a PC3 helps out but it should help you atleast identify if it is the PC3 or something else. Make sure you check all connections from the PC3 to the stock harness. Might even slice open the shrink wrap sheathing on the PC3 leads to make sure no wires are frayed or lossely connected and then reshrink wrap them.

any thoughts or ideas or contributions of any sort are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I can tell you that I have NEVER had a problem with my R6. And I guarantee I run it harder than any street rider.

Of course, I don't have a PC-III so it is likely that is the culpret.

I have heard some less than flattering reviews of the PC-III. Most of the stuff I have heard is that it will erase your maps by itself. A few mentions of it sending screwed up information and the bike starts running like crap... or it just completely shorts out and stops working altogether, then suddenly stats working again.

I think after seeing this and thinking of the negative stuff I have seen in the past, I will probably hold off for a better FI product before doing any engine/exhaust mods.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RockyR6 said:
or it just completely shorts out and stops working altogether, then suddenly stats working again.
that's exactly what sounds like is happening.

Yosh makes one..... http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/ems.asp

there is also a way to alter the a/f ratio on the stock ECU's. a long read but worth it as it might help you out with racing and everything.

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62758&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

the R6 performance manual thing they mention towards the end can be found here and the settings description can be found on pages 28-32

http://damnnet.com/download/850/

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, if it helps you win races then all the better! As long as you wear a hat that says "Penfold Rulez!" after you win the race though!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
when i had my 03 r6 i had the same engine cutting out prolem explained. and while i was riding it it didnt seem like it use to, i dont know what the problem was to this day.

the shut off problem was when i was just sitting on my bike in neutral at a light or somthing. i would be sitting there and it would sound like its not getting enough gas or somthing and the rpm's would be bouncing irratically (around where it normally idles) then it would just die on me. it would start back up and ride but a new r6 should not be doing this. i checked my coils but the dealer said they were fine (hard to believe). other then that i dont know what could be the problem with it. anyone had this problem? it also didnt feel like it was running right when i gave it gas, felt like it lost power from when i first got it. theres my input, i still want to see what the 05's are going to be like.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
OCboy, I GUARANTEE you it was your coils!! $10 said your dealer just took it for a quick test ride and decided it was running just fine----> the reason i did mine myself :mrgreen:

·
max speed
242 Posts
After I had my bike alarm installed I had the cutting out problem. It turned out to be an electrical problem also. I fixed it by getting power directly from the battery and doubling up on the ground wires and that did the trick. Just have to be carful with the wiring on these bikes I guess or something gets messed up.

·
Registered
995 Posts
as i mentioned before my problem was caused by my PC3, its just been returned here is a copy of the email for Dynojet UK
We received your Power Commander on the 9 th July, tested it, found a fault, rectified it and returned it to the dealer ( by RMSD) on the 27th July, they should have it.

Regards

Frank Wrathall

Dynojet UK Ltd 01995 600 500
its abit basic but proves there is a problem with the PC3,BUT there is a mix of problems here being put under one "umberella" so it will only apply to a small few of bikes

·
Registered
4 Posts
wow, only 8 replies? Christ. hundreds of 6ers have this issue on their 03's and it isn't just that bad batch of PCIIIs that were being distributed. There is a far greater thread with some godo trial and error in it over on that forum as well. But if anybody else has this problem here, check out

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513

191 replies in that one dating back 2 years ago.

I am goign to be working on it heavily for the next month or so and will try to keep this site updated as well.

While each bike tends to be special in its own case, some sysmptoms are the same. The bike cuts off for many reasons and under different circumstances, so one solution won't work for everyone.

Anyways, the list of check offs will be

1.) Coils (Mitsus instead of teh Denzos
2.) Battery (already replaced)
3.) TPS sensor cleansing
4.) code clearing
5.) Electrical wiring
6.) Stator
7.) other sensors known to cause shut off

*If anybody else here has gotten their bike "fixed" then respond. Figured more then 1 person on this whol eforum has had this issue.

Thankyou. Cant believe this issue just died. Good ol, "Glad its not me"

_D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I always found that my bike would work like shit and die on me if i was riding at high altitudes. At lower altitudes i have never had a problem and my bike is stock(almost)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got a stock 03 r6 and haven't had it a week and i'm havin problems with the motor idling wrong, loss of power. Local shop said plugs, replaced the plugs and was fine until the engine temp reached over 135 then went back to crap. Any help would be appreciated seein as though it's about to make me mad!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Engine Problem

I hope I have figured out the problem with my bike and maybe others. I read around the internet and found out that Yamaha has done a "recall" type deal on the coils found in the 2003 Yamaha R6. They went from one company to Mitsubishi for the replacement ones. I will have my new coils in hopefully Friday or at the latest on Tuesday. I will make sure to let ya'll know if this solves the problem. Keep ya'll posted!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fixed

My problem was the coils. They had burned out at the top and were arcing out of the top insted of on the plug. Give it a shot, it might be your problem too. By the way the parts and labor were paid by yamaha due to a recall

·
Registered
1 Posts
woah......urrm, I jsut joined tis forum to ask about my '03' r6, and yes about it cutting out, however, i do not have a power commander, it jsut started cutting out when idol. any thoughts?

·
I fling poo!
408 Posts
So this past summer my 03 started doing the same thing.. cutting out. It did it under throttle and at idle. Under throttle I would notice a drop in RPMs. It did this twice both times on days when it was hot as hell. Thought it might have been some freaky fuel thing, started reading up more on the coils and such. So the problem stopped. Soon as the days cooled off, no more problems. Back in OCT it started to die at idle more often (2x w/in a week).. Trouble shooting the bike eliminating possibles we removed the PC3.. ran it and still noticed the drop in RPMs and stalling at idle. PC back on, plugs changed.. Little bit of BG ran through the fuel system, tank drained (bad gas?) .. nothing seemed to work.

I had kind of forgotten about the problem, not that I've had time to drive across town and take it to the dealer.. however, yesterday was an absolutely gorgeous day in Denver.. 66 was the high.. I was in heaven, out riding.. then it happened. On my way to xmas dinner it started to run like hell, under acceleration it would feel as if it was at 1/2 power, not all the time, just occasionally.. died a few times, made it to my destination..

Heading back home, stopped at a gas station to get something to drink.. bike started fine, drove about 100'.. then it started to sound like a V twin.. seriously.. felt like it was running on only 2 cyclinders, which is BAD when you are pulling into traffic.. limped it home, after 1/2 mile or so it was running fine.. it goes to the shop tomorrow..

We will see what happens.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The exact thing was happening to my 04 this year. It sounds like an electrical issue so with winter here I decided to clean the TPS, change the coils and spark plugs but I won't be able to test it out till it starts to warm up, at least another 3-4 months. One thing about the Power Commander I didn't know was that there is a throttle position reset function that I'm gonna do too - I'm hoping these will fix the problem. Post back once you find out what's wrong with your bike.

·
I fling poo!
408 Posts
Just got mine back from the shop, it finally died 2 weeks ago while riding. Started running on 2 cylinders... then pulled in the clutch and dead. :nocontrol :nocontrol :YEA :jacked :idhitit :boob :hammer :FU

Here are my old coils. Kinda hard to see, but burned all 4 coils clean through the 'protective housing'.. the mechanic (Dave, known him for 8 years) said he's never seen them that bad, I wanted to keep them but they have to send them back to Yami... bastards.

had to play with the lighting a bit in adobe..but you can kinda see the burn.. damn shitty camera phone.. shoulda taken my Digi SLR

·
I fling poo!
408 Posts
Oh yeah.. made them change the plugs while they were there since when I had the plugs changed in June they didn't see the coils.. :) just in case.. you know.. It's all free for me.. not just the warranty work :)

1 - 20 of 204 Posts