Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
wow, forgot this was even a sticky anymore!

ya, the issue seems to be the coils and Yamaha had a recall on them. the denso's would melt and arc causing the problem but the new mitsubishi replacements ones are supposed to cure it. never experienced any problems on my 03 but had them replaced anyways. the reason it was thought that the PC3 may cause it was cuz at the time, some of the connectors didn't fit very tight and it was thought that that might be causing it. I think there is still a sticky in the exhaust section about checking your coils and has a link to the technical bulletin that yamaha issued that you can take to the dealer to have them replaced free of charge.

·
R6 Racer
1 Posts
I have an R6 that runs fine on a cold engine. After it warms up for a minute or so, it starts running really rough. I wonder if the coil is acting up after it gets warmed up. I will pull them and test them tomorrow and post the results of what I find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all. I'm a newbie to this forum and I'm having the same dramas with my 03 R6. It's been at the mechanics for 3 weeks now. Problem is intermittent. Runs great, pull up at lights, suddenly cuts out on me and I can start it but it won't idle. Leave it alone for 30 seconds, try it, runs fine again! My mechanic checked the coils immediately - replaced them, still got the same problem. He's tried new plugs, still no joy. Disconnected the PC3 but that didnt make a difference. Funny thing is, they can't get it to play up on the dyno. It pulls 104 hp and heats up to where the fan kicks in and runs like a dream they reckon, then hop on it and don't even get out the driveway. Does anyone have any ideas on this whatsoever??? I'm at my wits end and missin my bike heaps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok I have 3 words for all you R sixers scratchin ur noggins on this one - throttle position sensor. Replaced mine and so far so good (fingers crossed).

Hope this helps.

·
I fling poo!
408 Posts
So got my coils changed, things were going well for about.. 200 miles.. started doing the exact same thing again. Pissed off I went to the shop, thinking somehow when the coils fried it shorted out the ECU.. it could possibly happen, talked to my tech about it, he had seen it once..

Get to the shop, talking to my tech (yes i know him personally we go have beers.. alot of them) and he jumps on the bike, takes off.. comes back about a min later, and he's laughing about my bike running on 2 cyls.. we strip her down, check the coils their fine.. first things first right.. take the bike to stock ecu.. disco the PCIII.. takes it out.. 20 mins NO problem.. so its the PCIII..

Check the PC website.. under their FAQ 'my bike feels like its only running on 2 cyls' known problem, check for frayed wires, no frayed.... contact the guys at dynojet sending the unit in for testing, aka - they're gonna replace it.. same thing happened to my friend when his PC messed up.. god i can't wait to get it back.. it might be snowing, but damn if that thing doesn't feel funny running on stock ECU w/ a full akro system..

·
Registered
7 Posts
03' cutting out

I have an 03'. It is a very good bike, but it has a problem that i cannot or yamaha dealers themselves cannot diagnose. Every now and than i'll be sitting at a stop light when all the sudden the bike will start surging (almost as if its starved of fuel). it'll jump up to 1500 rpms than down below 1k....than up than down..than it finally just quits.... the only way to get it to run normal again is to switch the key off than on....than all is fine until the next episode occurs( sometimes later that day or sometimes two weeks later)....in the process of trying to fix this problem...

had new coils put in (because of the bulletin on bad coils that year)
put in a whole new battery
put in an aftermarket air filter (k&n)
had new plugs put in and a so called "tuneup" by yamaha dealer

this has not yet seemed to fix the problem which itself is really a hit and miss kind of thing...it seems to really act up whenever i give her the nuts such as riding wheelies one after the other or sometimes when the temp is warm 75+ degrees....

if you have any ideas or have had similar problems...please feel free to share your knowledge... thanks all.................

·
ProStunter.com
91 Posts
WFMATRESS said:
I have an 03'. It is a very good bike, but it has a problem that i cannot or yamaha dealers themselves cannot diagnose. Every now and than i'll be sitting at a stop light when all the sudden the bike will start surging (almost as if its starved of fuel). it'll jump up to 1500 rpms than down below 1k....than up than down..than it finally just quits.... the only way to get it to run normal again is to switch the key off than on....than all is fine until the next episode occurs( sometimes later that day or sometimes two weeks later)....in the process of trying to fix this problem...

had new coils put in (because of the bulletin on bad coils that year)
put in a whole new battery
put in an aftermarket air filter (k&n)
had new plugs put in and a so called "tuneup" by yamaha dealer

this has not yet seemed to fix the problem which itself is really a hit and miss kind of thing...it seems to really act up whenever i give her the nuts such as riding wheelies one after the other or sometimes when the temp is warm 75+ degrees....

if you have any ideas or have had similar problems...please feel free to share your knowledge... thanks all.................

I had the same problem, but it was only happening in the winter, I truly think it has something to do with the gas sold to us, I believe they are altering it, expecially during the winter?

:fact

:eek:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've heard it also could be the TPS (throttle positioning sensors)
Mine loses power when i take off, like it was running out of petrol until 3k rpm then it would be fine. Its at the dealers getting fixed now so will what the problem was or still is. They reckon its the spark plug caps that need changing so hopefully thats the only problem.

Not sure about the coils as im in Australia and havnt heard of this being a problem here but i emailed yamaha Australia and this is what they had to say:

We have not issued such a bulletin to Australian dealers. While we acknowledge that some of our models have suffered problems with coils, we have taken this on a case by case basis depending on such things as age of bike and condition etc. If you believe your motorcycle is suffering from such a problem we suggest you have it inspected by an authorised Yamaha dealer for a report to us. Please understand that this is not a guarantee we will assist.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same problem with my '03. Just started recently, Enging cuts out when in the gas. PCIII has been on for a few months now. Coils have recently been replaced. only seems to ouccur when engine is warm. I'll pull the PCIII this weekend and see what happens.....

·
Zonly1
802 Posts
It's your coils. The stock ones are Denso and need to be replaced by Mitsu's

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure if anyone is still checking this thread but...

I was having the same problem with my '03 I just bought used at 24k miles. Since it didn't happen till my first ride in the rain, I suspected (after searching forums) that it was a bad seal on the plug boots and water was getting in. So I ripped it apart to get to the plugs and greased up the boots to try to keep water out. While I was in there, I also sync'ed up the throttle bodies, and the engine now sounds a lot better than when I first got it. I only have one commute on the "fixed" bike so far, but so far so good. It popped once on a decel, but no power issues. This bike has already had the coil recall done, so that's not it. I checked the coils anyway and the secondaries look good. You'd need a 4-wire 6.5 digit ohmmeter to check the primaries at their low resistance, I think, and I don't have one at home.

I saw one post on the thread saying that the problem was consistent on the road, but wouldn't happen on the dyno. I'm not an expert, but it seems to me to scream lean mixture, since the dyno doesn't pound air down the intake. Is this related to the TPS problem someone mentioned? I don't know how the TPS and AIS work with the injectors to deliver the right mixture.

Anyway, I've gone on and on...am I just saying stupid crap that everyone already knows?

Thanks,
Matt

·
I beat up babies...
31 Posts
Okay my bike seems to fall in to this realm of problems... it runs fine while it is cool and riding around, then when I stop at a light or sign it just cuts off on me... I took it to the shop about 2 weeks ago, removed the the pwr cmder and they said it was the TPS and that the ecu had to be reset. Well just this week I went riding and it was all good, then the next day, I rode again and the same crap... ride good on the highway and on the go, then stop light it will just die on me... seems like not enough gas at idle. Coils?? how do I replace it? plugs??? what should be my first course of action on this one??? This is my first bike and I bought it used, it is an 05 r6 with a full yoshi exhaust and it had an pciii on it... any help would be great, I'm going to take it back to yama this week

·
I beat up babies...
31 Posts
bad pressure sensor? like I said i'm new to motorcycles in general but not to mechanics, so how do I locate and verify that this is the problem?

·
Tha 5 star Manic Mechanic
1,126 Posts
I usually use a meter on it and check it for being within operating paramaters. There will be two of them, one closer to the intake area, and an atmospheric one under the seat to the rear. Its a three wire connector that it uses (that should narrow it down)

·
I beat up babies...
31 Posts
hmm, sounds like a pain in the ass, especially since I don't know crap about motorcycles as this is my first one, well now how would I sync the throttle bodies???

·
Registered
8 Posts
R6 is your first bike, eh? Are you riding around in shorts and flip-flops like most of the riders I saw in HI?

Well, the short version is you get under the fuel tank, disconnect the airbox, then connect up your $100 sync tool and turn some screws. If you're going to do a bunch of work on your bike, get a Clymer manual for it...it describes the process with a little more detail.

The shorter version is you get it done by a shop. But if you're doing that, it might be worth asking beforehand if out-of-sync throttle bodies could really be the cause. I just know that mine was stalling before I did it and it hasn't stalled since, but I don't know that it was the cause.

Matt

21 - 40 of 204 Posts