Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 204 Posts

·
My R6 eats yours
35 Posts
I am gonna resurrect this thread because I too am having stall issues with my 03 R6.
Sometimes when I roll to stop, and the engine goes to an idle, it stalls. If I try to restart without applying throttle, it will continue to stall. Now, If I turn the key to off, then back on, it will start and idle fine.

There seems to be a lot of speculation as to what is causing this problem. Has anyone come up with a definitive solution, or is it just trial and error ?? What should I be looking at first ? Does the R6 have any codes stored that may indicate a problem ? How can I test to see if it is the TPS thats the culprit ??

Thanks guys

Stang

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just as a single data point, I didn't change my TPS and haven't had any problems since I sealed the caps with dielectric grease and sync'ed the throttle bodies.

Matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have read the postings on this issue with the 2003 models. I just purchased a used '03 with 1800 miles on it and after a 150 mile ride, the bike shut down when I pulled the clutch in at a stop light. I have not really seen a clear solution to the problem and my Yamaha dealer tells me they have not heard of any issues. The bike is going in for coils as those were never changed from the recall. Anybody out there get any solid answers from Yamaha or your dealer? Thanks.

·
Zonly1
802 Posts
It's the coils. I had the same problem then switched them to Mitsu coils from the stock Denso and BAMMM fixed. The Denso's will spark thru the rubber housing and ground out on the walls of the head.

·
42 Posts
I've just started having this problem too with my 04 R6 in the last 2 months!!

After I've been riding for a few hours & pull up at a set of lights as soon as I pull the clutch in the revs die down & the bike stalls. If I try to start it straight away it keeps stalling. It tries to idle but just shits itself!! I have to turn the key off, wait 10 seconds & then turn it back on & it usually starts up ok then. Altho after the problem happens once it seems to affect my bike for the rest of the day. Even when I'm riding along afterwards it feels like my bike is only getting half the power!! WTF?

I'm convinced that the coils aren't the problem in my case tho. My 04 R6 in Australia came stock with the Mitsubishi ones instead of Denso. I've replaced my old coils with brand new Mitsubishi ones and replaced the spark plugs as well just to be safe & still the same problem. :curse

I don't have a PCIII installed & the only performance mods I have is a Yoshi slip-on & a K&N air filter. My bike has been the same for years & now it just starts playing up for no reason. I've also tried some injector cleaner but no joy there either.

Why aren't Yamaha looking into this any further? Maybe it's cause our "old" bikes are history now & they don't give a shit anymore!! Lazy [email protected]#kers!!!!!! :cuss

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Still looking for ideas and help. I had the coils replaced on my '03LE and the stalling problem went away for a month. It is back again. After riding for only 15 minutes this morning, I get to a stoplight, downshift to 1st and when I stop the engine dies. It just doesn't seem to be idling at a high enough rpm. I let it sit for a few minutes and it runs fine again. Does anyone have the definitive answer as to why the '03s have this issue. It is obviously not the coils. Appreciate your input.

·
2003 R6
3 Posts
i had the same problem for a while. I had the coils replaced, and then it started happening. Someone on another forum recommended cleaning the throttle position sensor. I took it off, cleaned a little bit of dirt off of the back, and the problem disappeared.

also check your your ECU diagnostic, i had an error in the memory that we cleared out.

·
42 Posts
This may only apply to some of you guys but in my case I think I've found a solution... for now. My 04 R6 has been runnning perfect now for the last 2 months without any stalling. It feels strong throughout the entire rev range & doesn't have any drop in power like it used to before stalling at traffic lights, stop sign etc.

Here's a checklist of things I tried & the results.

DIDN'T FIX THE PROB:
  • Replaced Ignition Coils
  • Replaced Spark Plugs
  • Cleaned Air Filter
  • Cleared Codes in Diagnostic Mode
  • Added Injector Cleaner to 2 Tanks
  • Drained Oil to Adjust Level (Too Full)
  • Adjust Idle Speed
FIXED THE PROB:
  • Cleaned Throttle Position Sensor with Electronic Cleaning Solvent
Since cleaning the TPS I haven't had a problem since. Still gunna replace the TPS when I get around to it just to be safe.

I tried each thing above separately then rode my bike for a couple of days to see if it fixed it. When the bike played up again I moved onto the next thing and so on. The TPS was the last thing I tried so I'm pretty sure it was the culprit.

Hope this helps some of you guys. Still can't believe Yamaha hasn't stepped up & tried helping considering how many guys are having this problem years later.

Cheers :drink

·
Registered
2 Posts
aptd said:
wow, only 8 replies? Christ. hundreds of 6ers have this issue on their 03's and it isn't just that bad batch of PCIIIs that were being distributed. There is a far greater thread with some godo trial and error in it over on that forum as well. But if anybody else has this problem here, check out

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513

191 replies in that one dating back 2 years ago.

I am goign to be working on it heavily for the next month or so and will try to keep this site updated as well.

While each bike tends to be special in its own case, some sysmptoms are the same. The bike cuts off for many reasons and under different circumstances, so one solution won't work for everyone.

Anyways, the list of check offs will be

1.) Coils (Mitsus instead of teh Denzos
2.) Battery (already replaced)
3.) TPS sensor cleansing
4.) code clearing
5.) Electrical wiring
6.) Stator
7.) other sensors known to cause shut off

*If anybody else here has gotten their bike "fixed" then respond. Figured more then 1 person on this whol eforum has had this issue.

Thankyou. Cant believe this issue just died. Good ol, "Glad its not me"

_D
i had that problem i took it in to a dealership and it was the ignition coils and they replaced it for free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This post is with respect to my thread @ the below link, but it applies to this thread as well, so I'm posting my post here as well, the more knowledge and help, the better:

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=554657#post554657

thx for the reply man, but i took my bike to a shop. I don't know much about bikes.. so I couldn't really even diagnose the problem myself 100% confidently.. but the idle used to be okay before, so I never thought about it being a problem. My bike has been down, and apparantly there's wires that make contact just under the clutch lever (2 of them to be exact) they are pressed between 2 metallic clamps. They are visually noticeable. Since my bike has been down, apparantly these 2 wires weren't making contact properly, the shop fixed it. Call me a noob lol, but I'm writing this in case you guys overlooked this or didn't even think about it. It personally didn't cross my mind because I thought they might be wires required to operate between high/low beam or something and that was working fine. So that's what happened to my bike, and the stalling problem is gone after it stalled on me 7 times in 1 day. I hope that it's fixed for good, and the bike ran strong today once I picked it up from the shop just now.

I also called a shop in my area and they service 6 r6's and none of them have ever experienced this problem with them. Neither this guy who rides one at the front desk of the shop I serviced it. This may seem like many people have this problem. But imagine how many r6's are out there, is it just that they aren't here claiming they have a problem as well? I think in a worst case scenario the only work a shop would do on your bike if you brought it in was regular maintenance to fix the problem. I can't see this being a major repair. This cost me $85 CDN.

Take care guys and good luck.

·
Komo
104 Posts
did it take anybody else like 4 weeks just to get the coils from yamaha? I am still waiting and there finally supposed to be shipped on the 17th, but the have also pushed that back before so i think the may do it again, Im pissed!!

·
99 streetfighter
14 Posts
that's exactly what sounds like is happening.

Yosh makes one..... http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/ems.asp

there is also a way to alter the a/f ratio on the stock ECU's. a long read but worth it as it might help you out with racing and everything.

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62758&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

the R6 performance manual thing they mention towards the end can be found here and the settings description can be found on pages 28-32

http://damnnet.com/download/850/
the stock ecu adjustment is for diagnostics only and DOES NOT enhance performance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm having the same problem with the cut off.

I ordered a new TPS, and put it on, but don't have the testers to adjust the angle of it. So, I 'guessed' at where it should be, somewhere in the middle.

Anyone else have any idea of how to adjust it better?

Also, went for a short 4 mile ride, and it still shut off on me twice. Once while riding and wouldn't restart, had to dump the clutch and bump start it while I was still moving.

The other time, I had to play with the throttle to get it started. Once it started, it was ideling at 4,000 RPM. I blipped the throttle, and it dropped back to 1,000.

Any one have any words of wisdom here?

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, if anyone cares....

I put the new TPS on... It made things worse.... Doing a diagnosis test, it showed that the closed position of the throttle was 37. It should be between 15 and 17. The lowest I could adjust the TPS to get it to read was 30.

This TPS had a different number printed on it (part number). I put the old one back on, got it to read '16' on the Diag test. Put her back together, and it runs fine. This was only about a 20 mile ride, but I put it back like it was originally, and it's good to go for now.

So, heres another fix to the problem, but I didn't do anything but take it apart and put it back together.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Surprise surprise same problem with me too. I have an '03 and I bought the bike last year May. It never cut out on me till now when I put her back on the road for the first time since Oct. I figured it was the fuel stabilizer and that I just needed to put new fuel in. However, the bike last summer would idle rough once warmed up at a light or when stopped in neutral. The idle would go up and down as if the bike were gonna die but never did until just recently.

I called a Yami dealer here but they needed my VIN number to see if there are any recalls on my bike. Does anyone else from Canada know if the coils were recalled?

I've gotten a lot of info from this thread but are there any other things that I can try? It seems like replacing the TPS looks to be complicated in terms of setting it right. Any other info would be great, thanks.

·
The need....for speed!!
81 Posts
I know this may be a stupid question but does anybody know if the 05 has this same issue?? My bike keeps having an erratic idle and it sounds like its struggling to idle at times, yet it rides smooth. Any thoughts guys? Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think I'm having the same issue. I bought my 2003 last summer and rode all season on it with no problems. The year was so far so good, put about 500 hundred miles on it so far. I was out with two friends on some fun roads and was keeping the RPM's around 9k while going through the turns and we got to a T intersections and I slowed down, stopped and my bike wanted to die, rpms were very low, barely passed first line on the tach, I had to keep revving it to keep it from dying. Bike temps were only like 185, we stopped and let it sit for like 10 minutes and then it started right up and idled normally. Does this sound like the coil issue? Spark plugs was suggested by a buddy to change.

thoughts?

41 - 60 of 204 Posts