Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

03+ R6 Engine Cutting out

105K views 199 replies 107 participants last post by  JustAnR6 
#1 ·
There has been alot of talk about engines cutting out lately on the 03+ bikes. I've seen it posted on other boards as well. I recieved a request via PM to make this a sticky and shall do so in the effort that everyone can, as a group, use our collective heads to try and solve this problem.....

here is the PM.......

yo PENFOLD. i'v noticed a serious problem with 03R6 bikes where the engine cuts out, there seems to be hundreds of Rsixers with the problem. i'm am contacting you and other R6 websites, to try to bring this problem to light and try to fix it. I have placed a list of questions at this URL.

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=168096#post168096

please could you setup a STICKY on your site so people with this problem can answer the questions, so we can find the problem before someone gets hurt.

AS i said i'v also contacted other R6 websites because its gonna take all Rsixers working together to work it out.

I DO NOT KNOW ALL OF THE DIFFERENT R6 WEBSITES , I ONLY KNOW A FEW, SO PLEASE PASS ON THESE DETAILS TO OTHER R6 SITES MODERATORS PLEASE.

My 2 cents on reading thru the R6MN thread is that the Power Commander seems to be involved in just about every instance. What someone needs to do is to is disconnect their PC3 and see if that affects anything. might make it run a little ruff with the additional mods that a PC3 helps out but it should help you atleast identify if it is the PC3 or something else. Make sure you check all connections from the PC3 to the stock harness. Might even slice open the shrink wrap sheathing on the PC3 leads to make sure no wires are frayed or lossely connected and then reshrink wrap them.

any thoughts or ideas or contributions of any sort are greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#28 ·
03' cutting out

I have an 03'. It is a very good bike, but it has a problem that i cannot or yamaha dealers themselves cannot diagnose. Every now and than i'll be sitting at a stop light when all the sudden the bike will start surging (almost as if its starved of fuel). it'll jump up to 1500 rpms than down below 1k....than up than down..than it finally just quits.... the only way to get it to run normal again is to switch the key off than on....than all is fine until the next episode occurs( sometimes later that day or sometimes two weeks later)....in the process of trying to fix this problem...

had new coils put in (because of the bulletin on bad coils that year)
put in a whole new battery
put in an aftermarket air filter (k&n)
had new plugs put in and a so called "tuneup" by yamaha dealer

this has not yet seemed to fix the problem which itself is really a hit and miss kind of thing...it seems to really act up whenever i give her the nuts such as riding wheelies one after the other or sometimes when the temp is warm 75+ degrees....

if you have any ideas or have had similar problems...please feel free to share your knowledge... thanks all.................

#29 ·
WFMATRESS said:
I have an 03'. It is a very good bike, but it has a problem that i cannot or yamaha dealers themselves cannot diagnose. Every now and than i'll be sitting at a stop light when all the sudden the bike will start surging (almost as if its starved of fuel). it'll jump up to 1500 rpms than down below 1k....than up than down..than it finally just quits.... the only way to get it to run normal again is to switch the key off than on....than all is fine until the next episode occurs( sometimes later that day or sometimes two weeks later)....in the process of trying to fix this problem...

had new coils put in (because of the bulletin on bad coils that year)
put in a whole new battery
put in an aftermarket air filter (k&n)
had new plugs put in and a so called "tuneup" by yamaha dealer

this has not yet seemed to fix the problem which itself is really a hit and miss kind of thing...it seems to really act up whenever i give her the nuts such as riding wheelies one after the other or sometimes when the temp is warm 75+ degrees....

if you have any ideas or have had similar problems...please feel free to share your knowledge... thanks all.................

I had the same problem, but it was only happening in the winter, I truly think it has something to do with the gas sold to us, I believe they are altering it, expecially during the winter?

:fact

:eek:

#30 ·
I've heard it also could be the TPS (throttle positioning sensors)
Mine loses power when i take off, like it was running out of petrol until 3k rpm then it would be fine. Its at the dealers getting fixed now so will what the problem was or still is. They reckon its the spark plug caps that need changing so hopefully thats the only problem.

Not sure about the coils as im in Australia and havnt heard of this being a problem here but i emailed yamaha Australia and this is what they had to say:

We have not issued such a bulletin to Australian dealers. While we acknowledge that some of our models have suffered problems with coils, we have taken this on a case by case basis depending on such things as age of bike and condition etc. If you believe your motorcycle is suffering from such a problem we suggest you have it inspected by an authorised Yamaha dealer for a report to us. Please understand that this is not a guarantee we will assist.

#32 ·
It's your coils. The stock ones are Denso and need to be replaced by Mitsu's

#33 ·
Not sure if anyone is still checking this thread but...

I was having the same problem with my '03 I just bought used at 24k miles. Since it didn't happen till my first ride in the rain, I suspected (after searching forums) that it was a bad seal on the plug boots and water was getting in. So I ripped it apart to get to the plugs and greased up the boots to try to keep water out. While I was in there, I also sync'ed up the throttle bodies, and the engine now sounds a lot better than when I first got it. I only have one commute on the "fixed" bike so far, but so far so good. It popped once on a decel, but no power issues. This bike has already had the coil recall done, so that's not it. I checked the coils anyway and the secondaries look good. You'd need a 4-wire 6.5 digit ohmmeter to check the primaries at their low resistance, I think, and I don't have one at home.

I saw one post on the thread saying that the problem was consistent on the road, but wouldn't happen on the dyno. I'm not an expert, but it seems to me to scream lean mixture, since the dyno doesn't pound air down the intake. Is this related to the TPS problem someone mentioned? I don't know how the TPS and AIS work with the injectors to deliver the right mixture.

Anyway, I've gone on and on...am I just saying stupid crap that everyone already knows?

Thanks,
Matt

#34 ·
Okay my bike seems to fall in to this realm of problems... it runs fine while it is cool and riding around, then when I stop at a light or sign it just cuts off on me... I took it to the shop about 2 weeks ago, removed the the pwr cmder and they said it was the TPS and that the ecu had to be reset. Well just this week I went riding and it was all good, then the next day, I rode again and the same crap... ride good on the highway and on the go, then stop light it will just die on me... seems like not enough gas at idle. Coils?? how do I replace it? plugs??? what should be my first course of action on this one??? This is my first bike and I bought it used, it is an 05 r6 with a full yoshi exhaust and it had an pciii on it... any help would be great, I'm going to take it back to yama this week

#37 ·
I usually use a meter on it and check it for being within operating paramaters. There will be two of them, one closer to the intake area, and an atmospheric one under the seat to the rear. Its a three wire connector that it uses (that should narrow it down)

#40 ·
R6 is your first bike, eh? Are you riding around in shorts and flip-flops like most of the riders I saw in HI?

Well, the short version is you get under the fuel tank, disconnect the airbox, then connect up your $100 sync tool and turn some screws. If you're going to do a bunch of work on your bike, get a Clymer manual for it...it describes the process with a little more detail.

The shorter version is you get it done by a shop. But if you're doing that, it might be worth asking beforehand if out-of-sync throttle bodies could really be the cause. I just know that mine was stalling before I did it and it hasn't stalled since, but I don't know that it was the cause.

Matt

#42 ·
I am gonna resurrect this thread because I too am having stall issues with my 03 R6.
Sometimes when I roll to stop, and the engine goes to an idle, it stalls. If I try to restart without applying throttle, it will continue to stall. Now, If I turn the key to off, then back on, it will start and idle fine.

There seems to be a lot of speculation as to what is causing this problem. Has anyone come up with a definitive solution, or is it just trial and error ?? What should I be looking at first ? Does the R6 have any codes stored that may indicate a problem ? How can I test to see if it is the TPS thats the culprit ??

Thanks guys

Stang

#44 ·
I have read the postings on this issue with the 2003 models. I just purchased a used '03 with 1800 miles on it and after a 150 mile ride, the bike shut down when I pulled the clutch in at a stop light. I have not really seen a clear solution to the problem and my Yamaha dealer tells me they have not heard of any issues. The bike is going in for coils as those were never changed from the recall. Anybody out there get any solid answers from Yamaha or your dealer? Thanks.

#45 ·
It's the coils. I had the same problem then switched them to Mitsu coils from the stock Denso and BAMMM fixed. The Denso's will spark thru the rubber housing and ground out on the walls of the head.

#46 ·
I've just started having this problem too with my 04 R6 in the last 2 months!!

After I've been riding for a few hours & pull up at a set of lights as soon as I pull the clutch in the revs die down & the bike stalls. If I try to start it straight away it keeps stalling. It tries to idle but just shits itself!! I have to turn the key off, wait 10 seconds & then turn it back on & it usually starts up ok then. Altho after the problem happens once it seems to affect my bike for the rest of the day. Even when I'm riding along afterwards it feels like my bike is only getting half the power!! WTF?

I'm convinced that the coils aren't the problem in my case tho. My 04 R6 in Australia came stock with the Mitsubishi ones instead of Denso. I've replaced my old coils with brand new Mitsubishi ones and replaced the spark plugs as well just to be safe & still the same problem. :curse

I don't have a PCIII installed & the only performance mods I have is a Yoshi slip-on & a K&N air filter. My bike has been the same for years & now it just starts playing up for no reason. I've also tried some injector cleaner but no joy there either.

Why aren't Yamaha looking into this any further? Maybe it's cause our "old" bikes are history now & they don't give a shit anymore!! Lazy f@#kers!!!!!! :cuss

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

#47 ·
Still looking for ideas and help. I had the coils replaced on my '03LE and the stalling problem went away for a month. It is back again. After riding for only 15 minutes this morning, I get to a stoplight, downshift to 1st and when I stop the engine dies. It just doesn't seem to be idling at a high enough rpm. I let it sit for a few minutes and it runs fine again. Does anyone have the definitive answer as to why the '03s have this issue. It is obviously not the coils. Appreciate your input.

#48 ·
i had the same problem for a while. I had the coils replaced, and then it started happening. Someone on another forum recommended cleaning the throttle position sensor. I took it off, cleaned a little bit of dirt off of the back, and the problem disappeared.

also check your your ECU diagnostic, i had an error in the memory that we cleared out.

#49 ·
This may only apply to some of you guys but in my case I think I've found a solution... for now. My 04 R6 has been runnning perfect now for the last 2 months without any stalling. It feels strong throughout the entire rev range & doesn't have any drop in power like it used to before stalling at traffic lights, stop sign etc.

Here's a checklist of things I tried & the results.

DIDN'T FIX THE PROB:
  • Replaced Ignition Coils
  • Replaced Spark Plugs
  • Cleaned Air Filter
  • Cleared Codes in Diagnostic Mode
  • Added Injector Cleaner to 2 Tanks
  • Drained Oil to Adjust Level (Too Full)
  • Adjust Idle Speed

FIXED THE PROB:
  • Cleaned Throttle Position Sensor with Electronic Cleaning Solvent

Since cleaning the TPS I haven't had a problem since. Still gunna replace the TPS when I get around to it just to be safe.

I tried each thing above separately then rode my bike for a couple of days to see if it fixed it. When the bike played up again I moved onto the next thing and so on. The TPS was the last thing I tried so I'm pretty sure it was the culprit.

Hope this helps some of you guys. Still can't believe Yamaha hasn't stepped up & tried helping considering how many guys are having this problem years later.

Cheers :drink

#50 ·
aptd said:
wow, only 8 replies? Christ. hundreds of 6ers have this issue on their 03's and it isn't just that bad batch of PCIIIs that were being distributed. There is a far greater thread with some godo trial and error in it over on that forum as well. But if anybody else has this problem here, check out

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513

191 replies in that one dating back 2 years ago.

I am goign to be working on it heavily for the next month or so and will try to keep this site updated as well.

While each bike tends to be special in its own case, some sysmptoms are the same. The bike cuts off for many reasons and under different circumstances, so one solution won't work for everyone.

Anyways, the list of check offs will be

1.) Coils (Mitsus instead of teh Denzos
2.) Battery (already replaced)
3.) TPS sensor cleansing
4.) code clearing
5.) Electrical wiring
6.) Stator
7.) other sensors known to cause shut off

*If anybody else here has gotten their bike "fixed" then respond. Figured more then 1 person on this whol eforum has had this issue.

Thankyou. Cant believe this issue just died. Good ol, "Glad its not me"

_D
i had that problem i took it in to a dealership and it was the ignition coils and they replaced it for free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.