Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I'm haveing some trouble with my 03 R6 and I'm a bit stumped. I'll describe with as much clarity as possible. 1st of all its a race bike and has no clutch safety switch or any left handlebar switch gear for that matter. I recently decided to street fighter it for some street Rideing which I had done to the bike before(I just put the headlight on for show and only ride it during the day). However this time I happened to notice the gauge cluster I have for my zx6r has the same same adapter and it plugs in fine! ( I prefer the more compact look) However it didn't work on the bike so I took it off and put the stocker back on but now the bike won't even crank. The fuel pump primes and the gauge cluster comes on but the starter didn't even try and the neutral light and oil pressure light don't turn on. I've gone through everything I can think of, so far I've-
1.Double checked all fuses and connections
2. Swapped ecu with my running parts bike
3. Tested battery
4.Swapped gauge clusters with running parts bike
5.Reset Power commander
6.Disconnected power commander

None of this has helped, I should also note diag mode shows code 11. Any thoughts on where to go next would be greatly appreciated.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,582 Posts
Edit: Re read your post: Diag codes are tests not faults. Do you mean diag test 61 shows code 11? If so, then Fault code 11 is the cyllinder ID sensor located on top of the valve cover If you just plugged in a cluster from another bike, who knows what pin out locations would be different! You may have shorted out God knows what! Just because the plugs are the same shape doesn't mean that the wire locations and functions are the same. Electronics don't like positive voltage fed into a negative pin. Hopefully you didn't fry the ECU.

Like I said, start with all the fuses, then check the Cyll ID sensor. See if any other codes come up. The manual has individual checks for the sensors. Follow the instructions. You need to check them all.

I know you said you checked the fuses, but make sure you check ALL of the fuses that show up in the electrical diagram. There are a couple locations for them on the 03.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
There is another fuse box that has the Fuel Injection fuse in the tail around the ECU. Highlighted in the attached
where on earth did you get that picture from? that is not a usa bike for sure. is it from an aftermarket manual?
my factory owners manual doesn't show that box at all.

Attachments

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,582 Posts
where on earth did you get that picture from? that is not a usa bike for sure. is it from an aftermarket manual?
my factory owners manual doesn't show that box at all.
page 3-65 of the SERVICE manual. Not the owners manual. It is Item #9 in the electrical diagram.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,582 Posts
I'll have to trace it out. It has to be there. it is the fuse for the fuel pump. and that has to have a fuse. I have never had to mess with it, so I haven't paid attention anytime I have had the tail off. When I get home next week end I'll look. 'cause now you got me curious.

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK finally had time to figure out what I was doing in Diag mode got to 61 for error codes and pulled
13,15,21,22,30, and 33. 62 says Ive had a total of 6 codes. Tried resetting by turning the kill switch on and off and theyre still there. Does this mean Ive fried all these sensors?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
ok, so the only code there that will prevent the bike from starting is code 30. lean angle cut off switch.
all of your codes indicate an open or shorted wire. you have a bad spot in a wire harness someplace. check by the radiator fan. that is often a culprit on these bikes since it's so close the wire loom.

mice could have chewed it up too. you're going to have to start tearing into it to find the problem. no way all those sensors just up and quit working.

I don't know if plugging in a gauge cluster of another bike would cause all those to malfunction. but if you can't find any bad wiring then maybe you did fry them all.

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay! Sorry it took so long to get back to this Lifes been crazy and Ive spent most of my free time riding the bikes that still run lol. Ok so I replaced the Lean Angle Sensor which was apparently the only thing that would stop it cranking. This somehow made all of the error codes going away! No history of error codes either. Bike still wont crank still no lights on the dash. I reset the power commander again, didnt start, I unhooked it, still wont start. So now Ive go no error codes and the bike still wont crank????. Any ideas where to go from here?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts