Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,

So i just picked up a 03 R6 rashes on the left side. Bike was not missing anything, plastics were just scraped. Bike was running and driving fine. Before i started working on the bike, I put about 40 miles on it and went up to 80mph with no problems at all, tracked fine also.

Well, heres my problem, i took off all plasctics, tank, and undertray and replaced with good ebay parts. Put the bike back together and now it won't start.

The starter turns, but the engine won't fire up. I check gas line, theres gas in there and fuel pump is working. Everything lights up except for the headlight. Could this be related ?

The bike is really easy to work on, unassembly parts, disconnect wire connectors and reassembly parts and reconnect wire connectors. I've look this thing over about 10 times and checked every connector for 3 hours.

Do you guys have any other idea what might be the problem. I'm frustrated cause thing was running fine before unassembly began.

Any known problems with the 03 besides the ignition coils ? even with ignition coils, the bike should at leat fire up a little bit.

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
you put a new gas tank on, correct? did you put a couple of gallons of gas in it? if you don't fill the tank taller than the fuel pump pickup, the engine will never fire. hope this helps...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeap, tank if full of gas and it does shoot gas out of the gas line into the gas intake for the fule injectors.

Seems like spark plugs are firing, but not sure why.

Or the injectors aren't opening to let gas in.

Will check this tonight.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
PM redlineR6 as he is the resident board (or bored since he lives in butt **** Iowa!) mechanic.

tell him Penfold sent ya and he'll give you like 20% off

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Well you're doing the right thing by checking your connections and wiring. It could be a short or an disconnected wire somewhere.

Maybe you'll get lucky and check diagnosis system check and find a crank posistion sensor that is bad or something.

I highly doubt it is any of your safety switches, cause most of them won't even allow the engine to turn over.

But, get in, check the system for any failure codes, if ya find nothing, just keep checkin all the wiring.

Lemme know if ya have any luck.

If ya don't have a service manual, you'll have to download a version to get directions on how to check for those codes etc... Their is a download version of it posted on here somewhere, i think in the sticky section.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
How far apart did you take the bike?
With the 03, the only things that should make it not able to start, are
No fuel in the tank, which you checked.
No fuel to the injectors, which should show up with an error code
no spark, which would indicate bad coils/coil connection.
Wiring problem, which by the way, if ANY wire which makes the bike run is disconnected, or has a bad connection, it will give you an error code.

Are you sure there aren't any error or diagnostic codes flashing on your speedometer when you turn the key on?

·
I used to have an R6...
63 Posts
not starting

have you tried to clean the run/stop button? If you flip it a few times you might get some luck. Also try some wd-40 to displace the water every-now-and-then.pretty common fail also check out the trouble shootng matrix in the manual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts