Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my '03 r6 this may and have had no issues with it until this.

Riding along and when you accelerate up to and beyond 9500 rpms there is a slight bog/lag/deadspot right between 9500 and 10k and up from there it takes some time to increase the rpms... Will only do it in 3,4,5,6 gear as I have tried to see/ feel it do it in 1st and 2nd but never can notice it there.

I replaced the plugs back in June and checked out the coils, seemed fine then. The bike is stock except for a PCIII, slip-on, and air filter. I recently cleaned the TPS (just because) but that was 5k ago.

HELP...

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
So I bought my '03 r6 this may and have had no issues with it until this.

Riding along and when you accelerate up to and beyond 9500 rpms there is a slight bog/lag/deadspot right between 9500 and 10k and up from there it takes some time to increase the rpms... Will only do it in 3,4,5,6 gear as I have tried to see/ feel it do it in 1st and 2nd but never can notice it there.

I replaced the plugs back in June and checked out the coils, seemed fine then. The bike is stock except for a PCIII, slip-on, and air filter. I recently cleaned the TPS (just because) but that was 5k ago.

HELP...
Your bike isn't really stock with all that man

·
Registered
116 Posts
my bike does the same, when i mess with my fuel adjustments, the dead spot goes away, then comes back, sometimes at 12,000 sometimes at 10,000, i leaned out my fuel because i was worried i fouled my plugs

i will be checking my spark plugs this week

·
Registered
116 Posts
try checking your spark plug gap, i checked mine today and they were close to .040
i tightn them to .032

i just checked the specs on my manual and spec is .023 - .027

so when i was having my dead spot the .040 was the answer

i have about 9k miles, so i am getting new plugs when i have the cash

so anywho...give your spark plugs a look at and regap them to spec, and let me know if that worked

·
Registered
61 Posts
i dunno know if this could be a solution to that problem but try cleaning the tps too, i know the 03 had a problem with that.

·
Registered
198 Posts
holy shit! I HAVE THIS same problem..it is the reason why i logged on today..i made a post too..i wonder what this is..its a 03 too 0_O

·
Registered
61 Posts
well the 03 had a coil recall. so if you havent had that done i would do it. to check, you gotta see if you have densos or mitsu. densos are the bad ones

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
My 03 was having a ton of problems with stalling, dead spots of power, sometimes youd give it a lot of throttle. it would slowly speed up not just hit it.

First i had heard about the coil recall, and the prior owner of the bike had it done late 2008, i think they said November, making my coils only about 2 years old now. I dismissed them as the problem.
I pulled the plugs, and even though someone had replaced the coils, they failed to replace the plugs, which you could tell were very old, but still actually not in too bad of shape, although the insulator was almost down to a tiny needle point. Got new cr10ek's and all of them were pre-gapped from factory to .028, in service manual it says max is .0276, so i adjusted my gap on all the cr10ek's to ~.025, as the minimum in the manual is .0236, basically putting it in the center. My bike was fine for a day or two, then back to sluggish, i then cleaned and later replaced my TPS, same thing, bike felt amazing for a day or so then back to shit, then i check my plugs to see if everything looks good, and discover a faulty plug. What are the chances of that...
i buy a new set of cr10ek's from different dealer, also the gap was .028 or a lil more on all 4 plugs, so i re-gap to .025, bike runs like a dream that night, next day same shit. By now im thinking problems with fuel pump or something, but i get talked into coils somehow. 4 coils = ~180$ from the dealer so not for me, i ran the shit out of the bike, got it real hot and quickly tore into it to get to my coils, and of course 1 was WAY out of spec compared to the other 3 which were about the same.
Bought a used set of coils from an 09 R6S from a local salvage yard, and eversince then the bike is completely different.
No dead spots in any rpm ranges, hasnt stalled even once, completely different sound, and when you hit the throttle, you nearly fly off the bike haha.
The way i understand it is if your having problems, and it only happens at certain temps/ rpm ranges its prolly ignition coil/plug related, if it is only RPM related and happens EVERY time, it points to a tranny/clutch problem.

·
Registered
116 Posts
you are wasting your time cleaning the tps...check your plugs, On my 2004 r6 ive never had any issues with things like the TPS.
you should put your bike in diagnostic mode, check the code>>>
then your not dumping A$$ LOADS of money into that

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so finally got some time to dig into it...
Checked the coils and this is what I found
#1 .4 4.77
#2 .4 5.52
#3 .4 5.73
#4 .4 5.70

Now this is @ work with are cheapy meter but still should be close, what I don't get is the constant .4 primary resistance on all 4. There is visible /carbon tracking on 2 of them and slight on another and none on the last one.... guess what they are all mitsu coils, I have no clue how old they are but the bike has 35k on it, I bought it @ 28k... spark plugs pulled also and all look ok and gapped within spec as I thought they should since I replaced them at the start of this year...
Anyone have problems with the mitsu coils? And assuming that they are my problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts