Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From what I have read, this is a common symptom/problem for the 03's.

Just 2 days ago, the bike started acting strange. From a stop, when I accelerate, the car would bog down until 3.7 to 4k and would be fine after that. Also, if I try to accelerate too quickly while already at speed, it bogs down as well.

I pulled diag codes 22, 30 & 46, but it seems they don't really have anything to do with the problem. I cleared the codes and rode around. Still same problem but no codes.

From what I've researched, it could be the coil packs, plugs, FPR, or fuel pump.

Has anyone resolved this issue?

Thanks.

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
I would check the plug on the rectifier to see if it looks burnt up at all, mainly because of the code 46. You will need to remove the plug and look at the connectors, dont' just look at the plug still connected to the rectifier. That and make sure your battery is good. Make sure the intake air temperature sensor is hooked up on the airbox(code 20) and clear the code for your tip sensor because that's what 30 is.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
your in the same boat i was about 2 months after i purchased my 03.

Started out with studder/bogging in low rpm ranges, no stalling.
then turned into stall out here and there upon disengagement of clutch, and finally it would stall out every time you disengaged the clutch and the problem was much worse if you rode the bike hard (keeping rev's above 10k )

I found my TPS to be out of spec's voltage wise , so when i would give the bike throttle the TPS sensor would give my ECU the wrong information, so i replaced the TPS, then i found one of my plugs to be faulty, so i replaced the plugs.
after i replaced both the plugs and TPS, bike was amazing for like two days, then back to same old shit.
I then checked and re-checked my coils, finally buying a used set from a 2009 R6S that was recently wrecked, and magically the entire problem went away. Instantly the bike had way more power, i can cruise 1'st gear or 2nd gear at <4k rpm and no studdering or bogging what-so-ever for a few months now.
o yea i also replaced my air-filter after finding my stock one to be so beat up and old that when i took it out the casing to wash it it just disintegrated into nothing. didnt notice much of a difference with new air filter but definately good to have clean fresh air in there.
Also check your chain mine was stretched pretty bad and that really strains the components, after i put a new chain on it was amazing how much smoother she rode and shifted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Started out with studder/bogging in low rpm ranges, no stalling.
then turned into stall out here and there upon disengagement of clutch, and finally it would stall out every time you disengaged the clutch and the problem was much worse if you rode the bike hard (keeping rev's above 10k )

I found my TPS to be out of spec's voltage wise , so when i would give the bike throttle the TPS sensor would give my ECU the wrong information, so i replaced the TPS, then i found one of my plugs to be faulty, so i replaced the plugs.
after i replaced both the plugs and TPS, bike was amazing for like two days, then back to same old shit.
I then checked and re-checked my coils, finally buying a used set from a 2009 R6S that was recently wrecked, and magically the entire problem went away. Instantly the bike had way more power, i can cruise 1'st gear or 2nd gear at <4k rpm and no studdering or bogging what-so-ever for a few months now.
o yea i also replaced my air-filter after finding my stock one to be so beat up and old that when i took it out the casing to wash it it just disintegrated into nothing. didnt notice much of a difference with new air filter but definately good to have clean fresh air in there.
Also check your chain mine was stretched pretty bad and that really strains the components, after i put a new chain on it was amazing how much smoother she rode and shifted.
Awesome! Your symptoms are exactly what I've been going through. I'll try the coilpack first. THanks!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
let me go ahead and save you a headache donw the road also.
^ what he said earlier about the voltage regulator rectifier. do it even if you have no issues with your charging system, because you will. Ive honestly almost sold my bike from the frustration ive had sorting my charging system and here is what i recommend. (My bike now has 14.3 volts on the battery at idle, and 14.3- 14.5 revved to 5k rpm, so its BY THE BOOK, and when i shut the bike off, my battery holds a charge of around 13.4 which is perfect)

The Voltage RR is going to be connected to your battery tray, so iff you kneel down and look up behind the rear shock, you will see it.
First off, pop out your battery and get the RR out of there so you can work on it.
Now follow the wiring, and it will lead you to a plastic harness connection. Unplug it and take a look inside, pay attention to the black and red wire spots, thats usually where burning/melting has occured.
Even if there is no sign of it yet, i would go ahead and remove the entire plug, and solder the wires directly to eachother.
So cut out the plastic plug, and clean the tip of the wiring with knife/razorblade then solder it together and wrap with heat wrap for electrical connection. I would also recommend using a gauge wire that is thicker then the stock just so you dont have a problem for sure.
The reason for this is that plug is not very secure for a spot like that, there is a pretty high current there. Since the connection is open to the elements it builds up corrosion and then that creates more and more resistance untill the plug melts and creates a short, your bike then throws code 46, drains your battery and you are stuck where ever the hell you just happened to be at. and bump starting wont work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if I understand correctly, you'r just talking about the spark plug cable? Is the coilpack connected to the cables or is it separate (as in the coilpack connects to the spark plug, the the cables connect to the top of the coilpack)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
no not the wiring to the coil packs, the actual coil packs themselves need replacing. Yes youve got it right, the coil pack connects to the spark plug and the wiring connects to the top of the coil pack.
these

make sure you have the mitsubishi ones, if you still have the denso's in your bike you can swing by a yamaha dealer and give them your vin, they should give you a free set of new coils.

and the wiring im talking about is a different component of the bike all together , its part of the charging system. has nothing to do with spark plugs, its the part of your bike that keeps the battery charged up so the Electrical components can work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no not the wiring to the coil packs, the actual coil packs themselves need replacing. Yes youve got it right, the coil pack connects to the spark plug and the wiring connects to the top of the coil pack.
these

make sure you have the mitsubishi ones, if you still have the denso's in your bike you can swing by a yamaha dealer and give them your vin, they should give you a free set of new coils.

and the wiring im talking about is a different component of the bike all together , its part of the charging system. has nothing to do with spark plugs, its the part of your bike that keeps the battery charged up so the Electrical components can work.
Thanks for your help. i will go into a yamaha dealer and have them check my VIN.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just updating my post for posterity and info.

The dealer looked my VIN up and was able to do the warranty free of charge (of course).

The coilpacks were so bad that when the spark arc'd on the engine block, it started to melt some of the plastic off.

Now she runs better than before!

·
daily
245 Posts
my buddy has an 04 or 05 that they said had a recall on the coils so they replaced them and now 2 months later it is doing the sputtering as described ^^^ so we are taking it back to them to get them to check it out again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my buddy has an 04 or 05 that they said had a recall on the coils so they replaced them and now 2 months later it is doing the sputtering as described ^^^ so we are taking it back to them to get them to check it out again.
Damn that sucks. It's a possibility they replaced it with the same coils...?

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
I have an 05 R6 and it does have the better Mitso's in it. I have gone through several coils still. It is a mileage thing. Just anticipate that the coils will go bad and have a couple on hand to replace ones that do go bad. I have had three of my original coils go bad. I have a whole new set in the bike now and I'm keeping several spares for when these ones do go bad.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Just updating my post for posterity and info.

The dealer looked my VIN up and was able to do the warranty free of charge (of course).

The coilpacks were so bad that when the spark arc'd on the engine block, it started to melt some of the plastic off.

Now she runs better than before!
glad you got it sorted out man.

and for you guys having problems even after changing the coil packs, check your TPS, mine was way out of specification when i checked the voltage on it (this is sort of difficult to do)
the easier way is to run diag mode and in d_01 keep getting on and off throttle and look for smoothness and a constant number with no throttle and a constant number with full throttle. If they change slightly or do not go up and down very smooth you will need a new TPS.

·
Sex and Bikes Go Together
1,222 Posts
Yeah the coils just go bad on these things....unfortunately mine was apart of the recall....good thing I bought a warranty though haha so only $50 to replace all four. The week without my bike though wasnt worth it haha Definately a mileage thing though for sure

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an 05 R6 and it does have the better Mitso's in it. I have gone through several coils still. It is a mileage thing. Just anticipate that the coils will go bad and have a couple on hand to replace ones that do go bad. I have had three of my original coils go bad. I have a whole new set in the bike now and I'm keeping several spares for when these ones do go bad.
I hope that doesn't happen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts