Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In general what gear are you in at common speeds and what rpms are you turning while cruising at those speeds? Such as 30mph, 45mph, 70mph? Just curious.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've got a 2000 but it'd be pretty much the same.

30 - 3rd gear approx. 5k rpm

45 - 5th gear approx. 5k rpm

75 - 6th gear approx. 7k rpm I think

I guess at lower speeds I "cruise" at around 5k rpm but when I cruise a bit quicker the rpm raises a bit.

Its a bit different when I'm up in the hills, then I usually keep her around 9k rpm range.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I've been so use to driving my 240SX and everytime I hit 6K I feel like I need to shift. But I'm slowly adjusting to the quick reving of the SIX

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
30 - 2nd or 3rd ~ 5,000 - 6,000 (this depends on how traffic is, how the bike sounds, etc..)

45 - 4th ~ 6,000

75 - 6th ~ 6,500 - once your in 6th every 1,000 = 10 MPH on the speedo (at least from my testing. :twisted: )

I try keeping it around 6,000 so I have some sort of power if I need it.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
I guess I like keeping things in the power band...

I usually cruis in town, 60 and under in 3rd tops. On the highway, 4th or 5th if I want to be quiet. I typically cruise in the 8K RPM rnage, where just a small twist and my 6 takes off.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
i like to stay IN the power band...specially on the highway....i never usually go over 4 on the highway or 5 depending on how quick we're moving.....and i usually try to stay in 2nd or 3rd when i'm riding around the streets....Riding at high RPM's has saved my ass on more than one occasion on both the highway and the street.....but it's what ever you feel comfortable in and in the most control....i also love the power of being in the high RPM's

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
R6-nitrous-injected said:
Thanks, i am still fairly new to riding and i wasn't sure where i should be keepin that tach in normal riding situations.
"still fairly new to riding"

stay under 6-7 grand always

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jasamb said:
R6-nitrous-injected said:
Thanks, i am still fairly new to riding and i wasn't sure where i should be keepin that tach in normal riding situations.
"still fairly new to riding"

stay under 6-7 grand always
Thanks, that is what i have been doin, but i was just curious as to what other r6 riders were doin out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts