Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the bike for a ride the other day and noticed my gauge going on and off. when bike was warm the gauge stayed off but came back on when I hammered on the throttle. Also the signal lights and high beam light on the gauge works all the time even when the tach and speed isn't showing up. The bike only has 6500 miles. Im thinking speed sensor.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Took the bike for a ride the other day and noticed my gauge going on and off. when bike was warm the gauge stayed off but came back on when I hammered on the throttle. Also the signal lights and high beam light on the gauge works all the time even when the tach and speed isn't showing up. The bike only has 6500 miles. Im thinking speed sensor.
Check voltages at the battery. That's what mine started doing as the battery was draining and the stator was dead.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brand new battery and all the lights are working properly and bright. Bike also runs extremley well. I gonna start with the speed sensor first. I also got caught in a bad rain storm before this happened. Could that have something to do with the gauge cluster getting messed up?

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Brand new battery and all the lights are working properly and bright. Bike also runs extremley well. I gonna start with the speed sensor first. I also got caught in a bad rain storm before this happened. Could that have something to do with the gauge cluster getting messed up?
It could, but it's not like the bike isn't made to get wet.

Do you have a speedo healer or speedodrd on the bike?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No speedo healer device, like I said I have a spare speed sensor which ill change first and then go from there. When the gauge is not working it's black no back light not showing any numbers or tach. should it atleast be back lite even if the speed sensor is bad.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
No speedo healer device, like I said I have a spare speed sensor which ill change first and then go from there. When the gauge is not working it's black no back light not showing any numbers or tach. should it atleast be back lite even if the speed sensor is bad.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinkin. I dunno if it's the speed sensor. I'm really just subscribed to see what the outcome is. Suggested checking voltage. My bike seemed fine for days until the stator went bad and my cluster went blank, no tach.. Leading up to it the speedo was jumping to.

It can't hurt to check the voltages and the big plug for the cluster too

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
the speed sensor isn't making the gauge stop working . it would probably just read 0.
you said your's is turning off and on. sounds more like a loose connector.

pull the windscreen off and mess with the connector. and under the right side panel, there is the other connector for the whole front end. pull them apart and plug them back in..could just be loose.

and for the love of god put your front brake back on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts