Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I picked up a set of Hotbodies fairings for my 04 R6 track bike. Then I realized that it didn't come with an undertail piece, leaving the tray exposed to dirt, water, stones, etc. It is something that I want covered up since there is holes in the tray exposing circuit boards to the elements.

I called, Hotbodies does not provide an undertail, and they don't sell an undertail, sigh...

I don't have any experience with body fabrication, but am willing to try, was hoping for pointers. What would be a good way to make an undertail so it looks ok. Fiberglass, aluminum, something else?

·
Stunt Rider
7,981 Posts
I've got a stock undertail available if you're interested in purchasing it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a stock undertail available if you're interested in purchasing it.
I have an old oem tail, but for that bike the undertail comes up at the back and is the outer casing for the tail lights. The race tail is a very different shape...

I could hack mine up, but I'm not sure if it would even fit after that...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the same question awhile back, and most people seem to fabricate one out of fiberglass. Didn't seem too hard. Then it was held on by dzus fasteners.
How would I make it with fiberglass, make a mold and use loose sheets? Or can you buy stiff boards of pre-hardened fiberglass?

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
You scope out track fairings from other companies and see if their undertails might fit? I would think that'd work out to be a lot easier than making one from scratch on your own.

I can snap some pics of my undertail (I think it's Optimal) if that'll help.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You scope out track fairings from other companies and see if their undertails might fit? I would think that'd work out to be a lot easier than making one from scratch on your own.

I can snap some pics of my undertail (I think it's Optimal) if that'll help.
If you could post a photo that would be great, I am interested in what the curve of the piece is.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts