Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard from a bunch o fmy friends that the R6's tend to wobble a little at high speeds cause there so light, is this true or no. I have an 04 R6 and cant ride it yet cuz its 30 degrees and snowing still in illinois....lemme know if its true or not.

Kenny

·
Registered
836 Posts
Mine never wobbled... unless I was hard on the gas coming out of a corner. Then it would give me a little shimmy, nothing too bad.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea but thats nothin...

yeabut thats nothin....my friend with a gixxer 6 was sayin somethin about how if u get above 65-70mph then you start to feel it shaking into your arms a little...i was like iight maybe your gixxer is doin that but i've never heard that from a R6 before unless u got uneven wearing tires for some reason....not that any of us peel out or anything...... :roll:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I got a nasty headshake at 125 once. I was changing lanes when it happend.

·
Registered
283 Posts
i got an '03' but never had any wobble from regular riding. Today I rode about 30 kms at 110 - 140 km/h and it was smooth as a babies butt.

·
My 6 makes me super horny
140 Posts
I was racing an '04 600RR yesterday on an abandoned concrete road. I'd guess I was at about 120 or so... I barely let off the gas and my bars went crazy. I saved it... then I parked it for about 20 minutes. That said, I had it to 155 last week on a regular backroad and it was just as smooth as it gets. I'm still going to get a dampner though!

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
i have never had a problem. although i never really opened it up without my scotts steering damper. i have been pushed side to side because of the high winds. but other than that no wobble war stories from me.

·
My 6 makes me super horny
140 Posts
I'm still trying to sell myself on the steering damper.

·
Registered
318 Posts
what is the average price of a steering damper? Any suggestions on which to buy would be appriciated as well.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
350 to 410. scotts and gpr are good brands. scotts is better cause it has more adjustibility but if your not racing the gpr will work just as good for ya. and its a little cheaper.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had mine tank slap on me at 143 once. I blame the road but I never took it faster than that ever since. I had it to 140 later on and it was ok. It was just scary as hell when it happened. All I saw was the guardrail ahead in the upcoming curve and I thought I was dead. Definitely getting a steering dampener. Oh yeah....and my wrists were swollen for a week or two.

·
Registered
289 Posts
hey guys new R6 owner and rider here. reading this just makes me nervous. how does wobble occur and should i be worried. now im not saying i want to see 140 mph. i took the R6 on the highway to a whopping 70 mph so far. the bike is not broken in yet.... i felt confident and very solid on the bike.

basicly how does the occur, how can i prevent it if it does happen? i just want to know for my own knowledge and safety.

·
Registered
836 Posts
There can be a lot of causes...

The suspension is badly adjusted for that particular rider.

The wheels weren't balanced properly.

The wheels aren't aligned properly.

The tires are overinflated.

etc...

But my gut feeling on why these guys experience this on their high speed runs... is that they have a death grip on the bars. You have to let the bike deal with the road; it is far more stable without you trying to do anything.

Here is the best piece of advice I ever got.

Relax. Keep an even throttle hand and a gentle grip on the bars. Look as far down the road as you can. Any control inputs are SMOOOOOTH yet decisive.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
No major wobbler here me either, I rode my 6 hard oftentimes and topped it so far at 140mph on a freeway, and never had any shake/wobble changing lanes, etc.

Only time I felt it was off a stop, whacked the throttle made the front lift
and she shook like a muthafucka'.

But a damper is well worth it!

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
RockyR6 said:
Here is the best piece of advice I ever got.

Relax. Keep an even throttle hand and a gentle grip on the bars. Look as far down the road as you can. Any control inputs are SMOOOOOTH yet decisive.
Agreed

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
RockyR6 said:
In addition to this invaluable advice, keep your elbows bent (like you are in the middle of a push-up) and hold yourself up with your back and thighs.

It takes some getting used to but this slight change in position will give you WAY more control over the bike!

It's all about being relaxed so you have more concentration and energy to give to riding!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts